Dieting on an IBS diet. Any pointers?

Options
So my last two weight loss cycles were miserable. My IBS was HORRIBLE. I cramped all the time. First I thought it was just the increase in fiber so I just stuck with it. It never got better, my body never adjusted. So I started up cycle and I was miserable by the second day. Talked with the NP at my drs office and she recommended follow their IBS food recommendations of low insoluable figure, high soluable fiber. So basically.... lots of carbs, and carefully selecting fruits veggies. So I have been doing it 3 days. My IBS is so much better. Apparently all those leafy greens, nuts, seeds, fruit, etc... I was eating are foods I shoudl have very limited quantities of.

So to the question part.... has anyone stuck to this diet and been able to lose weight? I am getting a much smaller amount of food throughout the day than I was when I was miserably sick. Hunger is sort of an issue, but balanced nutrition is also a concern here. Any pointers?

Replies

• amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Have you tried going gluten-free? I don't have IBS but am avoiding gluten because of all the stuff I read about it. YOu might search for an article by Dr. Mark Hyman that was on Huffington Post a while ago or look him up on facebook. There are a ton of reliable sources for a gluten free eating style on the internet. A lot of people think it contributes to IBS
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Symptoms of IBS can be attributed to dietary intolerances or allergy. You could try eliminating a suspect food for 2wks and then do a food challenge and note any symptoms over the next 24-48hrs.
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I have IBD and have experimented with food quite a bit. I have found that I can eat a salad once a day, all vegetables need to be skinned and cooked (steamed preferably). I also have found that citrus is a no no in all situations. Unfortunately you need to use MFP and keep notes on your symptoms. Start out eating a bland diet, keep great notes and slowly introduce new foods and keep track of what causes issues. My GI said to start very bland diet, then add in one new thing for a week at at time, taking good notes on any symptoms that arise. Keep eating that food for one week. If symptoms arise, stop that food or try in a new method. I hope this made sense. With IBS/IBD every person is unique as to what food(s) set them off.
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have IBS and it is completely gone since i cut gluten out of my diet. Not only has my IBS symptoms left but i'm not sick all the time. I always knew it was a food that was irritating me but I never knew what. If you havent tried ditching gluten I suggest doing so for a week or 2. That's all it took to convince me.
  • karamille
    karamille Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I actually was tested for celiacs (which was negative) and then a few years later had a gluten sensitive child. At that point we all went GF. I stuck with it for several months but my IBS was still active. Which would make sense with the insoluable fiber, since we ate a lot more vegetables while we were GF.

I have to say, since I cut out my citrus fruit, popcorn and reduced my salads, I feel significantly better already
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I think it will just be a matter of time for you to figure out what foods are irritants for you. Good luck :)
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I can relate, although I don't have IBS. I have ulcerative colitis. I was trying to get lots of fiber in and yeah....not good! It really can make matters worse!

One thing I can say is that, make sure you are getting lots of protein! It will help with hunger plus it's good for you. Aim for MORE than what MFP suggests...it's on the low side.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I follow a blogger who has IBS and didn't have full resolution of her symptoms with a gluten-free diet. She discovered that certain carbohydrates (particularly high fiber foods) are her triggers, it sounds like your symptoms may be similar. The carbohydrates are FODMAPs (fermentable oligo-, di-, and monosaccharides and polyols). Something to look into, it may help you better pinpoint your trouble foods.

http://www.webmd.com/ibs/features/finding-right-diet-ibs?page=2
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I figured that fried or baked fish cooked in butter was a problem and avoided that for a long time but now if I have that once in a rare while, it doesn't seem to affect me.

I think too much leafy salads are problematic and avoid that but a little salad doesn't seem to hurt.

I think that drinking lots of water - at least 8 cups a day - helps a lot. Not sure if that is the miracle cure for me or just eating a healthier, more balanced diet in general or a combination of the two but I haven't had those stomach aches in a long time.

Maybe a more balanced diet and lots of water will help you too.
  • chuckles217
    chuckles217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am a long time IBS sufferer and have found a few things that work for me. I didn't cut gluten completely but i did convert to whole wheat everything with no processed carbs of any kind. My wife and I also went organic meat and cut red meat from our diet except for special occasions. Lastly, and this has a pile of peer reviewed journal published evidence behind it, I got peppermint capsules. Any time I have episodes of IBS (I alternate with constipation diarrhea about 3-4 times a month now) I start taking them 3x a day and It cuts my symptoms down to a day or two at most.