Protein?

Options
Anyone know of some good high protein low fat foods? Looking on my food diary I am low on protein by quite a lot but I can't think of anything that has protein without a fair amount of fat. I'm also lactose intolerant so can't get protein from any dairy products.

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    canned tuna, protein powder mixed with water or some milk alternative, lean pork. peanut butter is a little higher in fat, but if you get the natural stuff its not bad. umm.... ill have to look through my diary for some more options heh
    oh! beans and stuff - the other night i made up a dinner of a half pound ground turkey, 6 oz fresh green beans, and half a bag of dried black eyed peas.. soaked the peas overnight of course. divided it up into three servings and got 25 g of protein and 6 grams of fat (the fat was all from the turkey). it was really yummy with some lemon pepper :)
  • m0dizzle
    m0dizzle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    quinoa! Love the stuff- its like a rice/pasta hybrid and deliciously good for you! You find it in the natural section of your grocery store but it's typically cheaper if you buy it in bulk at a natural foods/health store.
  • jersanter
    jersanter Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Chobani Greek Yogurt. Any Greek Yogurt I guess but I prefer Chobani. 14g of protein in one cup.
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Baked chicken, baked fish, turkey, tuna fish, eggs, peanut butter
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    quinoa! Love the stuff- its like a rice/pasta hybrid and deliciously good for you! You find it in the natural section of your grocery store but it's typically cheaper if you buy it in bulk at a natural foods/health store.

quinoa is absolutly an excellent food. mind you, a little bland, but nothing a little salt and pepper won't fix. i like to chop up vegtables and mix them in there.
  • witch31
    witch31 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    mung bean pasta
  • jack_
    jack_ Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Egg whites ... the only pure protein source on the planet. I really like the whey isolate shakes but I am not sure if that's something you have to avoid with lactose intolerance.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    i second all that has been listed. I love protein <3
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Can you pop a Lactaid? Dairy has some of the best low fat protein I know. Other than that, tofu is good, so are eggs and beans.
  • sm_4ever17
    sm_4ever17 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    try tuna in brine :smile:
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Lobster
    Chicken
    Tuna
    Tilapia
    Lean Beef (sirloin, extra lean ground beef)
    Quinoa
    Egg Whites
    Soy
    Pork Loin/Chops
    Turkey
    Whey protein (as in whey protein powder)
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Scallops. Yum.
  • TuDominicano
    TuDominicano Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Lentils and green mung beans as well as what glenr79 said
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Boneless skinless chicken
    Fish including Tuna
    Egg White
    Steak - Lean cuts such as Top / Bottom Sirloin, or Strip steaks that you trim yourself
    Protein supplements - last option if the others aren't available.

Yes, Quinoa is a great source of Protien, it's a complete protein with all 9 Amino Acids, however it's at the cost of carbs. If that works for you great, but to think that a solid source of protein is a grain, is slightly misleading in my opinion.
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I don't enjoy cooking so I also look for easy: Tyson already-cooked grilled chicken breast strips, smoked salmon in a pack, regular salmon in those foil pouches, also tuna now comes in pouches with various seasonings added like lemon pepper for example. And oh! Egg whites! You can now buy cartons of just egg whites, already pasturized so they are safe right out of the carton. they have no taste at all and very little texture, so you can add them to anything without affecting the taste. Protein powders or ready-to-drink low carb drinks like Myoplex AdvantEdge Carb control, they also have some protein bars but be sure to read the nutrition panel--some of the protein bars are made for men trying to add weight. If you are seriously low you can even get liquid protein shots made for weight-training pre- and post-workout supplements. some taste really nasty but some are ok. I had one the other day with 42g protein!
  • CCChaos625
    CCChaos625 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Instead of milk you can drink almond milk, it is really creamy and mixes well with protein powders and/or carnation instant breakfast (which now has doubled its proteins)

Luna bars are under 200 cal, and not bad with fat and decent with protein, and so far the ones I have tried are good.

Any lean meats are good, boiled eggs, egg whites, beans, and peanut butter are all good choices too. Actually almonds and some other nuts can have a good balance as well.
  • m0dizzle
    m0dizzle Posts: 101 Member
    Options

quinoa is absolutly an excellent food. mind you, a little bland, but nothing a little salt and pepper won't fix. i like to chop up vegtables and mix them in there.

http://www.cookingquinoa.net/quinoa-recipes
  • pirate4hire
    Options
    Soy protein shakes with water (GNC brand Vanilla flavor compares well for taste)
    Rice protein
    Tuna
    Protein bars (but check the ingredients for dairy)
    Beans