mexican

Options
lin7604
lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
ok since i read the last post about going out to eat to a mexican place i have a few questions... i LOVE mexican and i get that alot of it isn't healthy.... So my question is why do i hear and get mixed messages about some of their items. I am confused on knowing what to think is healthy and can eat more of .... examples are guac... i know it would be high in fats but they are good fats, correct.... and re fried beans... i have been told they are good, is that not right thinking that? i have always put those 2 on my fajitas instead of cheese, etc thinking they were the better choices. i know the rice i would have to limit and anything with a cheese sauce or melted cheese on it, a lot of the beef dishes like burritos are high in sodium, correct? so it's better to have beef sliced like flank steak in your tortilla shell? I also LOVE tortilla soup and i choose that most of the time thinking it's one of the better choices besides fajitas all the time and i love to make it at home regularly.... am i correct with the facts i have gotten over the past years or do i need to re train myself in how i think if mexican food?

Replies

• stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Look at the ingredients. If the guac is JUST avocado and spices I'm game (some would say avoid the calories) but lots have cheap sour cream fillers and stuff like that. Refried beans are typically made with lard, so are tortillas, avoid that if you can. Black beans are a nice alternative if offered. Clear broth soups are usually a good choice, cream based soups are not so great. leaner meats are always a good choice, so is a vegetarian option, easy on the cheese. Pack in as many vegetables as you can, lettuce, salsa, corn, peppers, onions, all offer lower calorie high fiber options which leaves less room on your plate (and in your tummy) for processed high fat junk. All of it is high sodium. Good luck!
  • lin7604
    Options
    ya it's always avacado, onion, tomato, lime juice and a bit of salt. I always make it myself except the off time in a restaurant. the
    refreid beans i buy are vegetarian ones does that matter or change it? i didn't know they were made with lard... ick.... thanks for you imput!
  • jbootman
    jbootman Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    so I am San Diego, California born and reared, after a 3 week trip to Uzbekistan in 2001 I still crave mexican food so much I could eat my weight in enchiladas and tacos and then go back for more,

I AM A TOTAL MEXICAN FOOD ADDICT

yes, now I can plan my mexican food perk occasionally, but it is never enough, and I do suffer,

so I really avoid it, :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

I hope someday to be able to be normal in this craving but for now I just turn to my safe foods,

I feel I am on a very long struggle, its not fair
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    ya it's always avacado, onion, tomato, lime juice and a bit of salt. I always make it myself except the off time in a restaurant. the
    refreid beans i buy are vegetarian ones does that matter or change it? i didn't know they were made with lard... ick.... thanks for you imput!

You can make your own refried beans really, really easily (and they are cheap, too!) :0) Just soak a pot of pinto beans overnight, drain, refill with water, garlic, onion, salt to taste. Boil until tender and then put in a skillet and mash them up with a potato masher as they cook. If they are too thin, you can let them boil down so that they are thinner. Homemade refried beans are really yummy!
  • ishallnotwant
    Options
    so I am San Diego, California born and reared, after a 3 week trip to Uzbekistan in 2001 I still crave mexican food so much I could eat my weight in enchiladas and tacos and then go back for more,

yes, now I can plan my mexican food perk occasionally, but it is never enough, and I do suffer,

I hope someday to be able to be normal in this craving but for now I just turn to my safe foods,

lol! I think us Southern Californians have an addiction to Mexican food that most people just don't understand!
  • rebeccawalker1982
    rebeccawalker1982 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If you are going to the restaurant, then you would want to stay away from the beans, and guac. They always put a ton of salt in the guac and yes most everything is cooked in lard. That is just how they cook. You can ask them to bring you sliced avocado and some peco because its just tomato, onion, jalp and cilantro and maybe a bit on lemon or lime juice. Fajitas are your best bet but they will also be cooked with lard and or oil and even with that you could always ask for more veggies than meat and stay away from the tortillas or at least get corn not flower. (I live in South Texas....ie Northern Mexico)
  • lin7604
    Options

You can make your own refried beans really, really easily (and they are cheap, too!) :0) Just soak a pot of pinto beans overnight, drain, refill with water, garlic, onion, salt to taste. Boil until tender and then put in a skillet and mash them up with a potato masher as they cook. If they are too thin, you can let them boil down so that they are thinner. Homemade refried beans are really yummy!

oh that sounds so good.. i will be doing that forsure!!!!! thanks!
  • amonkey9
    Options

lol! I think us Southern Californians have an addiction to Mexican food that most people just don't understand!
  • lin7604
    Options
    yes corn tortillas are way better then flour one to begin with :) i find what i make at home will be healthy( ier) then going out, when i go outi call it a free day and enjoy! I love love mexican, i have a addiction to it too and we don't have many places here to go to, so when i do have it i ENJOY!
  • ishallnotwant
    Options

oh that sounds so good.. i will be doing that forsure!!!!! thanks!

Sorry, that was supposed to say you can let them boil down so that they are thicker! lol. I'm an airhead.

You can also take your favorite meats, like grilled carne asada, and put them on a salad instead of a tortilla. It's hard though, homemade tortillas are sooooo delicious! Especially hot off the comal! lol!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    One meal won't hurt you if you prep right. Eat a little less of everything else before the meal. Drink at least 8-16oz of water a half hour before going. Bust your *kitten* working out that day.
    When I eat Mexican, nothing is really off limits. I do make better choices (usually steak fajitas that I have to assemble myself). But I'll be damned if I don't have some chips and salsa.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    My method for refried beans (I assume you know how to soak, drain and boil the beans to begin with):

If you have a stand mixer (e.g. Kitchen Aid), take the cooked beans and drain them but save the bean juice.

Using the paddle attachment, whip the beans until they are of the consistency you want them. Use the reserved juice to thin them down if you need to.

In a skillet or saucepan, heat up vegetable or olive oil over very high heat until it begins to smoke. Pour the smoking hot oil into the mixing bowl of beans and (carefully) whip the hot oil into the beans - start on low speed to prevent splashing the oil out. Salt to taste. Done.

The amount of oil will vary depending on how you like it. I usually use between 1/4 and 1/2 cup of oil for about a half -full mixing bowl.
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I think that the problem with "mexican" food restaurants is that they serve American style Mexican food instead of using traditional technique and ingrediants. A lot of food is deep fried at these restaurants and have cheese on everthing. Maybe stick with making the food at home with fresh.
  • Candida1983
    Options
    My mother-in-law is Hispanic and makes refried beans. She uses oil, not lard. The only thing that I have seen them use lard in was tamales, and I don't think they serve those in the restaurants. Not authentic ones anyway. The guacamole is made with avocadoes, a good fat, and onions, garlic, salt and sometimes jalapenos. The rice is fried in oil first, then they drain the oil and put a mixture of water, tomatoes, onions, garlic, a chicken boullion cube, and some salt in the pan and let it simmer down and cook. Hope this helps!!
  • cassblue21
    Options
    bumping for refried bean recipe for tomorrow.
  • jennday1
    jennday1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Refried beans have lard in them so those would be bad. You would be better off with whole beans. The guac would depend on the restaurants recipe as everyone makes it different. Might be best just to ask for sliced avocado. Salsa is usually pretty low calorie. Corn tortillas are better than flour. Avoid cheese, cheese sauce, sour cream, cream sauces, etc. Also, try and eat just half and either share with someone or take the leftovers home.
  • ishallnotwant
    Options
    My mother-in-law is Hispanic and makes refried beans. She uses oil, not lard. The only thing that I have seen them use lard in was tamales, and I don't think they serve those in the restaurants. Not authentic ones anyway. The guacamole is made with avocadoes, a good fat, and onions, garlic, salt and sometimes jalapenos. The rice is fried first, and then they put a mixture of water, tomatoes, onions, garlic, a chicken boullion cube, and some salt in the pan and let it simmer down and cook. Hope this helps!!

This is exactly how I make my guac and spanish rice as well. Deeelicious! I was taught to make tamales properly, but I've actually made tamales with olive oil and boneless center cut loin chops. I used to work in a real estate office and all the middle aged white people who were watching their weight liked the healthier version. They came out pretty good! in the late 90s I used to get 17 bucks a dozen for them. lol :laugh:
  • shaniquaelle
    Options
    I just made these last night, SOOO good and low in calories if you do it right... Don't use cheddar cheese, do part skim mozzarella, it's way less calories.

http://glutenfreemommy.com/pumpkin-chicken-enchiladas/

Who knew pumpkin would go well with enchiladas??? But it's a great base for a sauce and 50 calories per serving and very good for you. ENJOY.
  • felicityksr
    felicityksr Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    One meal won't hurt you if you prep right. Eat a little less of everything else before the meal. Drink at least 8-16oz of water a half hour before going. Bust your *kitten* working out that day.
    When I eat Mexican, nothing is really off limits. I do make better choices (usually steak fajitas that I have to assemble myself). But I'll be damned if I don't have some chips and salsa.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I totally agree!! :flowerforyou:
  • lin7604
    Options
    My mother-in-law is Hispanic and makes refried beans. She uses oil, not lard. The only thing that I have seen them use lard in was tamales, and I don't think they serve those in the restaurants. Not authentic ones anyway. The guacamole is made with avocadoes, a good fat, and onions, garlic, salt and sometimes jalapenos. The rice is fried in oil first, then they drain the oil and put a mixture of water, tomatoes, onions, garlic, a chicken boullion cube, and some salt in the pan and let it simmer down and cook. Hope this helps!!

oh you just made me want to make rice... yummm