mexican

2»

Replies

• First off...I am of Tex-Mex heritage so allow me to put my 2 cents in. Stay away from refried beans. Unless you make and mash them yourself without lard. I usually do this by draining a bit of the beans and taking a potato masher to them. If they are too liquidy, simmer them on low so that the liquid evaporates and the starch thickens. If not...just eat beans straight from the crock pot and add in cilantro, onions, and salsa. (Trust me..it's all sorts of awesome.) Better to make your own guac. Atleast you'll be able to know what EXACTLY goes into it, i.e. salt content, veggies, etc. I am also partial to fajitas when I dine out, as well as charro or borracho beans in place of refried. Corn tortillas are definitely better than flour but stay away from the pats of butter they give you. I usually limit myself to one or two corn tortillas and I would much rather dip them into warm salsa instead of butter. Happy eating!
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Just tonight I went out for Tex-Mex and stayed within my calorie goal but still came back with my craving satisfied and my belly super full. I love chips and salsa, so I always splurge on those before the meal. Then I got tortilla soup with avocado (just one slice) and a salad with lime juice and salsa for dressing. It was delicious, and it tasted better than those cheese drenched enchiladas (which I DO splurge on from time to time too, but usually after a super-long bike ride when I have the calories). ;) Good luck, and ENJOY!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 2,951 Member
    thanks everyone for the tips.. i know when out i will just enjoy and not worry but i just needed to know which info i had been fed all these years was correct. at home is always the best way to go....if you can :)

ishallnotwant and Candida1983 : " The rice is fried first, and then they put a mixture of water, tomatoes, onions, garlic, a chicken boullion cube, and some salt in the pan and let it simmer down and cook" can you give me exact measurements ? as for the tomatoes, fresh or canned if canned what kind and how large of a can...
  • personally I'd order 2 chicken tacos ala carte on corn tortillas with no cheese no sour cream & no guac. extras veggies with the tacos if they come with any. MAYBE a side of refried or black beans. Pretty safe option.
  • lin7604
    Just tonight I went out for Tex-Mex and stayed within my calorie goal but still came back with my craving satisfied and my belly super full. I love chips and salsa, so I always splurge on those before the meal. Then I got tortilla soup with avocado (just one slice) and a salad with lime juice and salsa for dressing. It was delicious, and it tasted better than those cheese drenched enchiladas (which I DO splurge on from time to time too, but usually after a super-long bike ride when I have the calories). ;) Good luck, and ENJOY!

well guess what, i am done! i am making tortilla soup tomorrow for supper! i can't take it anymore, i am so craving mexican now ... AHHHHH
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    thanks everyone for the tips.. i know when out i will just enjoy and not worry but i just needed to know which info i had been fed all these years was correct. at home is always the best way to go....if you can :)

ishallnotwant and Candida1983 : " The rice is fried first, and then they put a mixture of water, tomatoes, onions, garlic, a chicken boullion cube, and some salt in the pan and let it simmer down and cook" can you give me exact measurements ? as for the tomatoes, fresh or canned if canned what kind and how large of a can...

I'm not sure how Candida's mom makes hers, but I sautee my veggies (usually finely diced onion, garlic, jalapeno) add my rice (Probably a lot more rice than you would make as I have 5 children, a giant hubby, and we usually have neighborhood kids over-3 to 4 cups of rice) and fry it in a light coating of oil until it is fairly transparent looking. Then I add a can of El Pato Jalapeno tomato sauce, which is usually about 8 oz. and the rest of the liquid is water (6 to 8 cups of liquid total-2 cups of water per 1 cup of rice.) Stir the water in, add a tablespoon (probably way less for your serving size-maybe half teaspoon to a teaspoon? Add it to taste) of Caldo De Pollo, bring to a boil, lower to a simmer, and put on the lid. I let mine simmer for 20 minutes-then I turn off the heat and let it set with the lid on for 20 more minutes. I like to use a glass lid on my giant skillet so I can watch it as it cooks...that way i'm not tempted to lift the lid! lol! You may want to add less tomato sauce to yours...say you make one cup of rice...you'll need two cups of liquid-add a few ounces of tomato sauce and then use water for the rest of the liquid-if you use too much sauce it won't cook right. If you use too little, it won't be as flavorful. If you don't like spice, you may want to use regular tomato sauce instead of El Pato.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member

well guess what, i am done! i am making tortilla soup tomorrow for supper! i can't take it anymore, i am so craving mexican now ... AHHHHH

lol! I know, this thread is making me hungry, which is funny because I just finished eating a giant salad with salsa, avocado, and queso fresco on top for dinner! :laugh:
  • lin7604
    awesome thanks!
  • soon2bhotmom
    soon2bhotmom Posts: 108 Member
    I agree with those that make their own refried beans, it's super easy and very good. I make chalupas alot...spray your corn shells with cooking spray and broil til crisp and brown. Top with your refried bean and veggies...delish! Chicken tacos are also good, sprayed and flipped in a hot pan. Dining out is always high cals but you can do so much at home and its just as good and better for you!
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Get the fat free or vegetarian refried beans if you want something healthier and lard-free.

I know everyone says Mexican food is so bad for you, yadda yadda... But I make tacos or some other form of Mexican food at least a couple times per week. The hard shell corn tortillas are only 50 calories each and if you load them with those beans or grilled fish and a fresh salsa, avocado, and greek yogurt (add some hot sauce, lime and cilantro for extra kick) it can actually be pretty darn healthy. And deeeeelicious!