Being in the minority?

Options
Wynnie
Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
I'm about to move from an area where I have a LOT of support for healthy eating and fitness, and to an area where there is not anywhere near the type of support I currently have.

Do you live in an environment where there is little emphasis on fitness and where foods are mostly (WONDERFUL but unhealthy) fried comfort foods? What are some of the things you do to stay the course for healthy eating and working out, when there isn't a lot of encouragement to do so? I'm honestly not trying to disparage anyone - I just want some good ideas to help me. Thanks.

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I live in Kentucky so we're not really known for being health concious. Or even remotely healthy.

We have a few ok gyms and the local YMCA is great- but healthy places to eat out just don't exist. We started asking chefs what was in the great dishes we were having- then we go home and make them healthy. It helps to think of cooking as a hobby, I think, instead of something you just 'have' to do.

Try looking online for support groups in your new area. Then you can make new friends who understand your goals and will support you.

Another thought- there may not be a lot of support for 'exercise' and fitness where you're moving, but there could be activity based exercise groups you could join. Join a hiking/birdwatching group or a cycling group.
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    I know where your coming from. I've lived in the city and now back in a more rural area. The nice thing about living near the sticks, is having more access to fresh fruits and vegetables. Usually most smaller towns have farmers markets. So not only are you supporting a better eating lifestyle, your helping out local farmers instead of big EVOL (for dramatic effect) corporations Walmart or even Whole Foods. Think about it. Sometimes being a vegan kinda sucks, for lack of specific products.

Also my new neighborhood is just way more safe. I can actually run around the block and threw town, without carrying a handgun or mace. My old street, you couldn't walk out to the car without checking both ways. I know that seems a bit extreme, but every region has advantages and disadvantages.

Just find what works for you, do some research and ask around. There are probably some good people, you just gotta track them down. And they probably aren't gonna be hangin out at McDonalds or the local bar. So point being, don't make any excuses for yourself or your success.
  • Mbergeron
    Mbergeron Posts: 10
    Options
    My family eats a lot of fried foods (mainly because we are from Louisiana and Texas) and what my mom and I do to keep from eating the delicious fried shrimp is just surround ourselves with healthy food. On my desk, my "snack" is some high fiber granola bars. When you first open our fridge and pantry, you see healthy foods because my mom and I pushed all of the "not so healthy" foods to the back so they aren't as much of a temptation if we can't reach them easily :p
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I live in an area that is not very focused on nutrition and fitness. There are two gyms, but they cost about $70/month to join. But the problem is the only restaraunts are fast food. It is a really small town that could care less about anything but greasy, fatty food. The area that I had lived in the past 5 years was very health conscious and active, so it was a shock! My best suggestions are try to plan your meals ahead, avoid the restaraunts, and explore some nearby towns. A town 10 minutes from mine is one of the fittest suburbs of Indy, so you might want to check out what's close. Plus since this is summer, you might be lucky to find some great farmers markets (depending on what area of the country you live in) where you can get some awesome veggies and stuff.

Just don't rely on the one area of town...get out and explore and you will be surprised with what you can find. :wink:
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    We moved to Odessa , Tx almost 2 years ago. Let me tell you there are more fast food and taco places here than I have ever seen in one town before. The funny thing is since we moved here I've started eating alot healthier since it's always hot. There are alot of overweight people in this part of Tx. I heard once that 65% of all Texans are overweight. I used to live in Ohio. Produce was found on local farm stands. What killed me about Ohio was the 4-5 months of cold and snow. Good luck- Cindy :heart:
  • xsargex
    Options
    Funny story.

My wife is from Tokyo. We are going there in October and my best friend is coming with me. He's a vegan. She's lived in Tokyo for 20 years. She went on and on and on about how he was going to have a difficult time finding "all vegan" food in Tokyo. TOKYO!! I mean, one of the biggest, denses cities in the world. I kept telling her "believe me, if there is vegan food to be found... Shaun will find it." In a matter of an hour searching the internet, he found like 12 restaraunts and a couple grocery stores around her neighborhood.

Point being, you want something bad enough, you gotta put effort into it. Chalking up your living accomodations as a legitimate excuse for not being healthy or in shape...is b.s.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    You have to be dilligent to get to know your community. I live in a small town however there are a lot a farms here. You can go pick your own strawberries. I lot of people have there own gardens -collards are big here tomatoes, corn etc- and sell the produce on the side of the road. We have dutch community where you can by fresh baked breads, cheese etc. You have access to wild game. Not to mention on the fitness side we have so many hills - if you walk/run a mile you can get the greatest workout of your life.

Funny thing- we used to go out at recess and pick pomegranites and share them during recess. Now it is a superfood. Who would have thunk it.
  • Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thanks all - many great tips! I'm going to try to be a good influence for my new friends and not the other way around. Plus I can always find MFP friends when the going gets tough!!! ( :
  • xsargex
    Options
    Thanks all - many great tips! I'm going to try to be a good influence for my new friends and not the other way around. Plus I can always find MFP friends when the going gets tough!!! ( :

never forget.... PMA. Positive Mental Attitude.