FITBIT??? Just heard of it, anyone use it?

Options
Just read about it online from a friend on FB, wondering if anyone on here has used it and likes it or is it a waste of money???

Replies

• dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Just purchased two for my wife and I. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • Gshields42
    Options
    Got one for a late Christmas present and love it. It drives you to be more active throughout the day, and constantly challenge yourself.

Just understand what it is; it is an extremely cool and effective pedometer tied to a website for data analysis, but it isn't a HRM so there is a limit to how accurate the information is.
  • sparkypink
    sparkypink Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I got one for Christmas, and I LOVE it! I call it my pedometer for geeks. :) The food database online is pretty pathetic, but they are working on syncing MFP with it so you can take advantage of the database here. It also syncs with other online tracking systems.

I agree that it totally motivates me to move more. I am now more motivated to get out of my chair to go get something or run up/down the stairs myself rather than ask my kids to do it because I know that it will give me more steps.
  • SarahBrown1979
    SarahBrown1979 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great Motivator! Our 2 yr anniversary is coming up and may ask for one, but was thinking it would be like a HRM, I was hoping to get more accurate with my cal's burned at the gym. So I guess I need to look into that more which I already read Polar is "the best" lol Just not the cheapest! Got a wedding to pay for! LOL
  • stalksthedawn
    Options
    I got mine on Saturday and love it so far. There's a way to sync it with MFP (I don't have the link) but I just enter everything into MFP like normal and it goes straight into the fitbit database.

The only thing I haven't figured out yet are the extra, non-workout calories it tells me I'm earning throughout the day so I'm not counting those in my "exercise" calories even though they show up in the exercise section. I'm not exactly sure of what to do with them so I'm erring on the side of caution and not eating them back.

Edited to add: I am eating back my exercise calories but not eating back the calories beyond that that the fitbit says I'm earning.
  • SharleenY
    Options
    I just got mine a couple of days ago and set it up at this moment! So glad to hear it links with MFP!! A friend of mine told me about this and the reviews seemed pretty possible. Here's to a successful loss!
  • wifewith2boys
    Options
    I have had mine since October and absolutely love it. It does sync with mfp which makes logging food so much easier. All you have to do is go under tools and it will give you that option. Enjoy!
  • thesarahsundae
    thesarahsundae Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for over 2 years and it's amazing!!
  • MoonShadow_1au
    MoonShadow_1au Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    MFP are really close to making the fitbit app publicly available, although you can join the Fitbit User groups and follow the instructions.

Fitibit is great (get the Ultra version which also tracks how many floors you climb). It is a huge motivator to get and keep you active. When linked to MFP a fitbit automatically adjust the "sedatory / mildly active / highly active" setting in MFP by sending through adjustments as you get off your but and move ;)

Please note that you need a running computer to upload the stats captured during the day. The internal battery lasts about 3 days (have not tried this yet) and the unit will store 5 - 7 days of activity. It synchs when you are near your computer and have the base station plugged in, it only charges when placed on the base station.

It is not a replacement for a HRM or exercise. I use a HRM and a Fitbit when at the gym and adjust the cals burnt to match the HRM.
  • TXPiper
    TXPiper Posts: 13
    Options
    Have it. Use it. Absolutely LOVE it. I'm currently syncing my FitBit Ultra to another food logging database via my iphone (it has a bar code scanner to log my food, but I think their food database is not as expansive as MFP). I'm eagerly waiting for MFP to release their app and make it possible to sync my FitBit account with it to give it a try. A little while back MFP said hopefully they will have announcement in 2-3 weeks. I have to think we're getting close!

I absolutely LOVE that FitBit, MFP, and other companies that do similar things are cooperating with each other to allow users to sync their data between their accounts. I think folks with accounts for some Withings products (scale and maybe one day the BP cuff?) can or will hopefully at one point be able to sync in as well. It makes for an incredible product for keeping track of your activity, food, BP, glucose, etc. It has its limitations. As mentioned, it is not a HRM. It can track flights of stairs and act as a pedometer. It does track your sleep activity as well. But some types of exercise (rowing machine, eliptical, swimming, etc.) you enter manually into your journal and it calculates the calories burned. For $100, I am extremely pleased with the product.
  • jillus500
    Options
    I got my FitBit Ultra only today but so far am hugely impressed, just a bit puzzled about recording sleeps, can anybody give me the correct way to set it. Have also ordered Withings Scales too. MFP for me has been miraculous!
  • sparkypink
    sparkypink Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    In order to set your sleep, all you have to do is hold down the button for 2-3 seconds until it starts blinking. That's it. Then when you wake up, hold down that button again until it stops blinking. It's the same you do when you want to start timing exercise.
  • Speedtrap
    Speedtrap Posts: 216
    Options
    you can link your fitbit here.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/show/fitbit
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Bumpin' this.
  • ayshamc
    ayshamc Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It is not a replacement for a HRM or exercise. I use a HRM and a Fitbit when at the gym and adjust the cals burnt to match the HRM.

Just watched the promo video for the fitbit and it looks quite good!

Do you find the calories burnt between the 2 are quite a big difference?
  • SLN11
    SLN11 Posts: 210
    Options
    Wow they seem quite good what price range are they ?
  • hsk1019
    hsk1019 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Fit bit is about $100 US.
  • ayshamc
    ayshamc Posts: 226 Member
    Options

Here in the UK, I just had a look and Amazon is doing the Fitbit Ultra with Sleep Tracker for 79.99!!

If anyone knows anywhere cheaper, please let me know :smile:
  • ncrissey460
    ncrissey460 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I have had my fitbit for over a year!!! I love it! At any point in the day I have a snapshot of how active or not active I am. And they have the best customer service of any company I've ever dealt with. They do not have a phone number only email but they respond amazing fast. I bought mine off of ebay as they were back ordered last Xmas. Two months later, it stopped syncing. I emailed customer service (thinking they would tell me to fly a kite as I didn't buy from them). After walking me through the hard reset process, they over nighted me another one. Then in July my husband washed my beloved Fitbit. I threw it away. At Xmas this year, I emailed them to see if I could get a discount as I wanted to replace mine and I was going to ask my husband to buy it. They advised they would replace it for free (only once) and over-nighted me a new unit!!!

Mine syncs with MFP. I am now driven to be more active and get alot of residual exercise (park far away/take the stairs) and it adds back a ton of calories. I have been on a plateau since October and I am beginning to think the reason why is I'm not eating enough. I have started eating a little more due to the fitbit syncing but not all (yesterday it said I earned 2000 extra calories but did over 10 miles yesterday as well.)

I have had body media and definately enjoy the Fitbit more. For one you can hide it, the arm band you can't. And the arm band bothered my skin.

Good luck all!