Eating Late!

So I am in need of help! Every night around 10:30 I get the munchies even though I have done really good all day long. I keep telling myself that I did really good today, you don't want to ruin what you have accomplished today. And yet I go to the fridge and snack on a piece of pizza or a piece of candy.

Does anyone have any helpful ideas that have helped you cut out the late night eating?

Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• When I get the munchies late at night like that I drink a small glass of water or milk. Not too much though so you're not up all night going to the bathroom. :)
  • Jessica0982
    Jessica0982 Posts: 209 Member
    Go to bed earlier? :)

You could always drink some water. Sometimes that'll satisfy you long enough. Or try and have some healthier snacks around. Use those to munch on instead of pizza and candy.

I also heard from Dr. Oz (take that however you want) that if you sniff vanilla extract it will satisfy your sweet tooth. I have yet to try that out.
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Eat dinner later?
  • ulejas
    ulejas Posts: 4
    Have a apple, carrots or something healthy. Don't eat late that's not a real good idea.
  • How about getting rid of the pizza and candy in the house. Get some carrot sticks instead. Try a cup of tea and two small cookies. Also I have found if I drink a big glass of water somehow the hunger is curbed a little. Good luck this is hard.:smooched: :flowerforyou:
  • MaynardLD50
    MaynardLD50 Posts: 36 Member
    Don't worry about eating later. A calorie at 10:30pm is a calorie at 4pm is a calorie at 7am. Now if you're eating pizza and candy I don't care what time it is you're derailing :) Drink 10oz of water real fast and you'll get rid of that snack crave REAL FAST :) You can do this, I believe in you and if I can do it you can do it. I used to eat about 70% of my calories at night snacking. Actually I just thought of this as I was typing, buy some Casein Protein from Optimum Nutrition. It's a sweet protein shake you can make, it's 80% milk protein and it makes you feel nice and full. This will also count as your sweet treat because there are so many flavors to choose from.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 671 Member
    If I get munchies, I try to just make a cup of herbal tea, add some splenda, and drink that. It helps my sweet tooth AND gets me ready for bed!
  • Get rid of all the extra food. Losing weight is a tough job, so sure you'll be want to snack late at night. Not having it available, makes things a lot easier. You won't be in this constant fight with yourself.
  • cherigurl
    cherigurl Posts: 184 Member
    Eat dinner later?

^^^^yes this, eat later and have a filling snack after, i eat dinner at 6:30-7 most nights, i have my cottage cheese doubles at 8-8:30 and then off to bed i go at 9:30- 10 works for me and i am a munchie queen lol.
  • Thank you! I have a long road ahead of me, and am so glad that I found this website. Again thank you for all of your support!:smile:
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,493 Member
    I know I will get the munchies so I just plan to have calories left for it. Eating late is not as horrible as most think. In fact here is a link for some healthy ideas that also help you sleep http://www.livestrong.com/article/304762-healthy-foods-to-eat-at-night/
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    My first thought was, are you eating enough throughout the day? If not, maybe add some protein at night. For me, I've found flossing & brushing my teeth signals my brain that it's the end of the eating day. Good luck to you!:smile:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Just plan your day so you have some calories left for late at night. There is nothing wrong with eating late.
  • IF you don't want fruit or veggies, I find that animal crackers for sweet or pretzels for salt are calorie friendly and satisfying. I work shift work, 12hrs at a time, and I agree that a calorie at 10am is equal to 10pm. Just get rid of the craving. 15 animal crackers per serving or 5 pretzels, approx 140 calories...
  • You could try eating like sugar free jello or something of that sort, it will give you something to munch on and there are little to no calories in it.
  • nwhitney01
    nwhitney01 Posts: 2 Member
    I have the same problem. I think I just like to eat at night and always have. I think what I need to do is to make better choices when I do eat at night. Carrots are always good and so is popcorn.
  • nwhitney01
    nwhitney01 Posts: 2 Member
    I have just joined and I am looking for support .
  • twilightfan20
    twilightfan20 Posts: 113 Member
    I used to have this same problem. But what I found worked for me was making sure to drink extra water throughout the day with after meals and in between meals. I usually eat dinner between 6 and 7:30, and then I cut myself off. It's hard disciplining yourself to adjust to a drastic change, but once I made it through the first 2 nights of not eating after that particular time, it got easier to not want to go into the kitchen, because I was full, tired, and I'd gotten used to not eating late.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    I've been having a cup of really good decaf tea every night around 9 pm. It's all but stopped me from snacking.
  • You need to eat more FIBER and drink more water!!! It will help satisfy you thru out the day and keep the munchies from coming late at night... I was a late evening snacker before bed but once i changed my diet and started eating more fiber for other reasons i reaized i was too full to eat anything. Sometimes it isn't really food that you are wanting it could be cause you aren 't getting enough water they say 8 8oz glasses a day i do 10-14 oz a day more with intense workouts. hope this helps