Being toned with lean muscle

Options
Hi everyone, I recently joined MFP to see if it helps me stay motivated by reading success stories and accounting for what I eat so I am more conscious of my nutrition. I started a new lifestyle last week trying to healthy foods to get nutrients as well as lose some weight. I'm not so much concerned about the number value of my weight, but more with how I look and feel since muscle weighs more than fat, and I don't know how much I've lost since I don't own a scale, but I've noticed subtle differences in certain parts. I want to achieve a lean, toned look with muscle definition but not bulk.

I've tried to increase my protein intake by eating chicken breast and fish, and I've also decided to try using protein shakes as well. I purchased Optimum Nutrition's 100% Gold Standard Whey and will be having it right after I work out. It says 1 gram for 1 lb of weight, but is that for bulking up or would it help me with what I'm trying to do? Should I take in less? More? If more, then have other shakes throughout the day, or double it after working out? With meals? The goal MFP gave me was in the low 60s g and that seems low to me. My current exercise is just 30 Day Shred for the last three days and I plan on adding elliptical for 30 mins 3 times a week in addition to the Shred. Thanks!

Replies

• Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    What is your current weight/height and calorie intake goal?
  • esperluette
    Options
    I am 5'1" current weight is 128; according to MFP my goal is 1, 200 and I'm averaging around 1,100 a day, averaging 50-60 g protein a day so far for the last 5 days. If I had a weight goal I guess I'd say 115, but like I said, I just want muscle definition especially in my arms and lower stomach.
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    One gram per pound of weight so 128 grams/ day divide by 5 or 6 meals 20-25 grams every time u eat.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1" current weight is 128; according to MFP my goal is 1, 200 and I'm averaging around 1,100 a day, averaging 50-60 g protein a day so far for the last 5 days. If I had a weight goal I guess I'd say 115, but like I said, I just want muscle definition especially in my arms and lower stomach.

I'd aim for about 100g of protein per day... 35g of fats and fill the rest of your calories with carbs.

I've heard of 30 day shred, but not sure what it is. Does it involve resistance training? Are you losing weight? If so, you just need to be patient. It could take months to get the body you want.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    It's usually thrown out 1g per lb of lean body weight, so what you have when you take the fat off.

The idea is to feed what you want remaining, don't feed the fat.

That 1g is also if your are indeed working out almost every day, as you will be doing.

Remember the 1200 has a deficit built into it already for what your body needs each day for normal activity (non-exercise), you need to eat some/most of those exercise calories or else your body can't grow the muscle, which will help burn the fat. Also with a big routine like that, your body may think it is starving and slow the metabolism down so what you are eating can make it.

Kinda defeats the whole purpose of working out, huh.
  • esperluette
    Options
    I feel like I'm eating a lot and I always end up full at the end of my meals and satisfied with my snacks, so what do you recommend I eat that is healthy but has calories yet is not as filling?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Go for those protein shakes you mention, great idea. don't be afraid to use whole milk to mix them with.

Eat a pre-workout snack a little before going in, long enough to not be burping it up of course. Good mix of protein/carbs so your insulin doesn't rise too high and turn you into fat storage mode instead of fat burning mode.

Perhaps half-serving of almonds before bed for some good fat.