Question on strength training

Options
Hi,

My name is Renuka and I am trying to lose extra fat from my trouble areas. I was told by my trainer that I need to do strength training for 3 days a week for 25 mins.. Also, he asked me to do whole body workout instead of just concentrating only on my trouble areas. My main focus is to reduce the fat around my abs. I have been doing hammer strength, quads, torso twist, abs kind of things.. I do 10 repetitions and 3 sets of those.. But i feel i need to do more concentrating on other areas and i do not have much of experience of doing strength training in a gym. Since I already have a membership at a gym, why not use it better. I want to hear from people like what kind of strength exercises you usually do at the gym and how many sets?

Thanks
Renuka

Replies

• addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Isolating your abs would be the slowest way of lowering your body fat.

Use that trainer to teach you how to do the following:

Squats
    Dead-Lift
    Bench Press
    Over Head Press
    Pull Up
    Chin Up
    Dips
    Clean & Jerk
    Snatch
    Thrusters
    Shoulder press
    Natural Gluteal Hamstring Raise
    Roman Chair
    Rows
    Cable Flies
    etc
  • renubhat_82
    renubhat_82 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Isolating your abs would be the slowest way of lowering your body fat.

Use that trainer to teach you how to do the following:

Squats
    Dead-Lift
    Bench Press
    Over Head Press
    Pull Up
    Chin Up
    Dips
    Clean & Jerk
    Snatch
    Thrusters
    Shoulder press
    Natural Gluteal Hamstring Raise
    Roman Chair
    Rows
    Cable Flies
    etc

Thanks! that was a quick response :smile:
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,941 Member
    Options
    There's LOTS of information on these boards about strength-training. Also, check-out the groups "women strength training" and "NROL4W" - being the "new rules of lifting for women" board.

"spot reducing" isn't really going to work (imo). Check out this thread - maybe you'll want to start lifting HEAVY!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/431684-pics-of-my-ginormous-man-muscles
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Another vote for New Rules of Lifting for Women. LOVE IT.

If you want specific exercises, the compound exercises are likely the most important bc they work so many areas at once: squats and deadlifts for example. Youtube it to learn more. and get NROL. Immediately, if not sooner. (OK, just if you want.)

But if you're on the fence, check out this lady:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

See you on the boy's side of the gym. (;
  • renubhat_82
    Options
    There's LOTS of information on these boards about strength-training. Also, check-out the groups "women strength training" and "NROL4W" - being the "new rules of lifting for women" board.

"spot reducing" isn't really going to work (imo). Check out this thread - maybe you'll want to start lifting HEAVY!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/431684-pics-of-my-ginormous-man-muscles

yeah..heard a lot abt NROL4W..will check out!
  • renubhat_82
    Options
    Another vote for New Rules of Lifting for Women. LOVE IT.

If you want specific exercises, the compound exercises are likely the most important bc they work so many areas at once: squats and deadlifts for example. Youtube it to learn more. and get NROL. Immediately, if not sooner. (OK, just if you want.)

But if you're on the fence, check out this lady:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

See you on the boy's side of the gym. (;

Thanks!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    You can't spot train/spot reduce. You burn the calories, your body does the rest. Women are predisposed to hold onto fat in the hips, butt, stomach and arms. For men it's almost entirely in the stomach. These are the trouble spots. Fat will go there first and come off last, not much you can do about it. Put in the time at the gym... do full body routines that focus on compound movements to get the most bang for your buck.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I take classes and that way the instructor makes sure we get a full body workout.
  • renubhat_82
    Options
    I take classes and that way the instructor makes sure we get a full body workout.

Yes i too attend the group classes at the gym, but i cannot attend all the sessions as timings doesn't match!
  • renubhat_82
    Options
    You can't spot train/spot reduce. You burn the calories, your body does the rest. Women are predisposed to hold onto fat in the hips, butt, stomach and arms. For men it's almost entirely in the stomach. These are the trouble spots. Fat will go there first and come off last, not much you can do about it. Put in the time at the gym... do full body routines that focus on compound movements to get the most bang for your buck.

Yes, i know, its so hard to burn off the fat.. I would keep trying.. :-) thanks!
  • renubhat_82
    Options
    Just got New rules for women book from the public library, last copy was reserved for me :smile:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Just remember if you are limited for time, make the weight lifting count.

Muscles burn fat 24 hrs day, and the increase in metabolism from weight lifting workout can last 4-24 hrs depending on intensity.

So to make your time count for your goal, give time to the biggest muscles first.

Extreme example, is your forearm or your quad bigger and going to burn more fat?

That could be applied to doing bicep curls or tricep extensions. Both those minor muscles will be worked out when you do bench press or rowing.
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce! You need to do all over strength training exercises several times a week & as well some cardiovascular activities several times a week. The quickest way to see a reduction in your stomach area is to eat clean. Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym... :)
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    All I do is squats, deadlifts, bench press, power clean, overhead press, and chin-ups.
  • oaker
    oaker Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I pretty much do the same thing as Jesung. My workout goes as workout 1: Squat, Overhead Press, Deadlift, Pullups
    workout 2: Squat, Bench, Barbell Row, Dips

I do 1 then 2 then 1 then 2 etc, 3 times per week. I do 5 sets of 5 reps (5x5). I started with an empty bar for most lifts and just added 5 lbs to each lift for the next time I lifted. The deadlift, I added 10 lbs from the previous time I lifted. This info can all be downloaded. Very simple but effective workout. I did start adding wt when I do pullups and dips too, but I waited a while for that. I now do dips with an extra 50 lbs and pullups with an extra 20. I am thinking of switching up to power cleans to replace the barbell row.
  • renubhat_82
    Options
    Thanks All!
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I pretty much do the same thing as Jesung. My workout goes as workout 1: Squat, Overhead Press, Deadlift, Pullups
    workout 2: Squat, Bench, Barbell Row, Dips

I do 1 then 2 then 1 then 2 etc, 3 times per week. I do 5 sets of 5 reps (5x5). I started with an empty bar for most lifts and just added 5 lbs to each lift for the next time I lifted. The deadlift, I added 10 lbs from the previous time I lifted. This info can all be downloaded. Very simple but effective workout. I did start adding wt when I do pullups and dips too, but I waited a while for that. I now do dips with an extra 50 lbs and pullups with an extra 20. I am thinking of switching up to power cleans to replace the barbell row.
    Stronglifts is a great program for beginners. I have terribly recovery so I found it pretty hard once I was past the novice stage.
    I definitely recommend switching to power cleans. I used to do weighted chin-ups but started getting crazy headaches at 45+lbs so I had to switch to PCs and I'm glad I made the switch. They're really fun :)