Has anyone lost 50 pounds in 3 months?

Options
Hi there, I just started on this site thanks to my Pastor who found it and send a friend request (we are doing the "Biggest Loser" at the church). So far I am really enjoying the site and well the fact that there is some place that I can go and talk about my diet, the exercises, ups and downs, worry's and milestones without driving everyone crazy. I love the tools as well to figure out how to calculate my calorie intake. I was going to be lazy on that and just guess on them for I didn't want to sit down for hours to figure out my calories.

So my biggest question is it possible to loose 50 pounds in 3 months??

Sure there is the Biggest Loser contest that I am loosing for but I also want to surprise my son with my weight loss when he comes home on leave early summer. I know for sure that I want to loose 50 pounds but my goal is maybe an extra 10 for 60. But that last ten pounds are going to have to be a wait and see kind of thing. I want to loose the weight but I want to make sure I look healthy as well.

Thanks

Replies

• bigwill5
    bigwill5 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    This is day 81 for me and I have lost 48 pounds so I am on track to be at the 50 pound mark next week. Feel free to add me. Best wishes
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    This is day 81 for me and I have lost 48 pounds so I am on track to be at the 50 pound mark next week. Feel free to add me. Best wishes

bigwill, how did you the lose the 50lbs? Just curious! :)
  • CountandBaxter
    CountandBaxter Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    but just know that it may take longer and don't let that discourage you.

It took me 12 months.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I did once but I would never recommend the method.
  • sarahleelee
    sarahleelee Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I lost 26lbs in 7 weeks with a healthy, low-sodium, fresh food 1300 calorie diet and walking. Can be done, consistency is KEY!
  • monicamk1975
    monicamk1975 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I started Sept 17th and have lost about 47 pounds and havent excersized the last two months, so I think its entirely possible. You can do it :)
  • Rugbychick16
    Rugbychick16 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    It took me about a year to lose 50 pounds, but I wanted it that way because I had lost 50 pounds prior to this and I lost it fast, and I wanted to take my time and understand things like calories intake / calories burned and stuff. I've pretty much maintained my weight for just over a year because I feel much more educated on what my body needs.

I recommend taking your time, and teaching yourself about a healthy lifestyle as opposed to a "diet" .

Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • 7opoundsin16weeks
    7opoundsin16weeks Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    ME ME ME !! In fact im planning onto losing 70 pounds in less than 16 weeks ;)
  • StephanieGabriele
    StephanieGabriele Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It seems sometimes bodies have a different plan than the person inhabiting it, haha! Just know you'll look beautiful no matter what! You know you're not going to gain as long as you don't give up :) 50 pounds sounds entirely possible just don't give up, hun!
  • rainman3k
    rainman3k Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Can you lose 50 pounds in three months - yes, I have lost 51 in 100 days BUT I tried like heck to just lose weight from February to September of last year and only managed to lose 30 pounds.

A light bulb went off during the first 10 days of October when I joined this site. This is not just about losing weight! It is about building a lifestyle that you can embrace and become healthy. Weight loss, smaller clothing sizes & stamina are all byproducts of being enjoying a healthy life style.

My recommendation for success, based on my experience with this site, is to:

A) read as much as possible the success stories posted here, see what has worked for others that are similar to your situation
    B) build a network of friends that have walked the path you wish to walk
    C) be honest with yourself about the changes you will be making and keep track of everything you eat
    D) If you don't have a gym membership, try to find one that is still having a new year special that includes some training sessions. If that is not possible, then do some research on this site as to how you can get active at home

There are so many people here that you can learn from, take the time to read their diaries, ask questions, try new things and make choices you know you can live with.

Finally, take a few minutes to read this post, it is a little harsh but it is pretty spot on!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/442904-there-is-no-silver-bullet-or-magic-pill-it-takes-work

Feel free to add me if you would like
  • kristarablue
    Options
    Sweetheart of course it is possible, but is that what you really want? Typically 50 pounds in three months is drastic...If you have 150 pounds to lose and it is the first 50 pounds maybe ok, but if that is all you have to lose, will it come off healthy and long lasting...statistics say no...plus it would require you deprive your body of essential nutrients and calories, as soon as you begin to eat normally again I am afraid that you may regain it and what would the point be then....I am not a dietician and don't pretend to know what is healthy and what is not, all I have is anecdotal evidence and many, many hours of reading, however if you want to lose that much that quickly may I suggest you meet a dietician with at least a master’s degree to give you some good information or at a minimum your doctor...I say at a minimum because it is astounding at how ill qualified many doctors are to speak about weight and the healthy loss of weight...so read as much as you can about nutrition, consult a professional and use common sense. But is the losing weight for the contest or for you? Who cares if you win the contest, you take the weight off and it is for good you will be a winner I promise, only 5% of people don't regain in...take it off slow and get your habits entrenched...Good luck, you are going to do great!!!
  • jarae876
    jarae876 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys for the positive words. I know that loosing weight too fast can lead to a road of yo-yoing but I plan on once hitting that 50 pounds mark of easing back and really learning how to do it right, for once it is off I DONT want it back on again ever if possible. For over the last three years I have lost about 50 pounds without trying really (only thing I added was a bit more walking) and now I have noticed that I could do things I couldn't and wouldn't even attempt when I was 50 pounds heavier.

Just so you all know I am eating 6 times a day with a calorie intake of 1200 (sometimes a little more but not by much), and trying to burn as many if not more calories in exercise. However I do eat when I am really hungry for I just can't see being hungry for I hate that feeling. No amount of weight loss to me is worth it if I am starving all the time, and thankfully on the most part the 1200 intake is not too bad and actually dont feel hungry that often. I only really feel hungry is after a long busy day.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    yeah, it can definately be done, but like other have said you have to have a lot to lose. I lost my first 50 in a little over two months, I have lost 180+ in the past year.
  • bigwill5
    bigwill5 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Just this site, staying within my calories and walking 4 to 6 days a week. Nothing special, no pills, no supplements, no starvation
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I did but cut my calories down to about 1600 per day no sweets no pop and ran ran and ran some more. about 6-10 miles everyother day. I also walked walked and walked some more. At work I work at a facility maintaince and I can walk all day and up and down stairs or I can drive little electic cars and sit on my butt all day.
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Just this site, staying within my calories and walking 4 to 6 days a week. Nothing special, no pills, no supplements, no starvation

nice! that's what im doing myself so I hope it works :)
  • jarae876
    jarae876 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for you suggestions. I will take things one step at a time then and just see what happens. Though yes it is my goal to be down 50 pounds by Easter, I wont be too upset if it doesn't happen. Thank you guys. I will keep working at it and then just see what happens.
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    If you concentrate on healthy habits and exercise, I would bet you can look like you have lost 50 pounds by the time you see your son even if you only lose 20 or 30 pounds. Your body will reward you for your efforts;it just might not be in the pounds lost that you want.
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Just work on 10 pounds. When you reach that then try for another 10 pounds etc. It's great to have a goal like that, but I'm afraid that may be unrealistic. Imagine how long it took to put the 50 pounds on. I'm sure it wasn't within 3 months.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    i lost 50 in 6 months but the first 40 fell off in the first 3 months then it slowed to 3lb per month :(