Onions=heartburn?

Options
So, I have always loooooooved onions and eaten them with no problems.
Raw, sauteed, grilled didn't matter, no problems.

But, the last two or three days I have been getting this gnarly heartburn, and I haven't had heartburn in forever.
Well the last two or three days I have been munching on lots of onions and it's the only thing really new in my diary for a while.
So me thinks there is a correlation, but my question for YOU is:
Do you get heartburn from onions?
Why would I randomly get heartburn from onions when I haven't in the past?
What are some good heartburn remedies, because Tums ain't cutting it?!?

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Yes, onions give me horrible heartburn. I take Prilosec on a daily basis and it helps, but I do have to be careful with the onions (and garlic).
  • pwak
    pwak Posts: 9
    Options
    Onions definitely equal heartburn. And lots of other foods if I eat them too late at night. I take an acid reducer tablet an hour or so before I eat anything with onions or a lot of spices.
  • durhamity
    durhamity Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you are suddenly getting heartburn. If it persists, you may want to talk to your dr. I know for me, my heartburn got worse when I got pregnant. :smile: Don't know if thats a possibility for you, but if you are NOT then there are lots of otc meds for that may work better. I am on a prescription antacid that works great. I can just about eat whatever and not get heartburn.
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Onions in abundance definitely give me heartburn! Took me a while to figure that out because they used to be a prominent part of my diet. And just like you it seemed to come from nowhere, I chalked it up to my body changing. Happened to me when I was about 25, not sure how old you are. I also became lactose sensitive (not quite intolerant, but definitely can't have lots of dairy anymore) around the same time.

I use the rolaids soft chews and they help a lot. My grandfather swears by butter milk for heartburn.
  • pmich08
    pmich08 Posts: 193
    Options
    Well I'll be 22 in about week, and I have not really noticed too many changes besides my body hating anything super processed/eating out lately. The onions are a freak thing.
    Pregnancy is a possibilty, but only like a 2% chance since I am pretty consistent with my BC, so I doubt it, but if fishy things continue I will check for sure.

I am sad that onions may no longer be in may belly (although my fiance won't be), but dear lord this heartburn is ridiculous and nothing is getting rid of it right now!

Thanks for tips, and stuff....and letting me know my body isn't the only crazy one hatin' on onions!
  • melissagordon85
    melissagordon85 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've actually just realized that they are causing my heartburn. Yikes. I guess it's not so horrible to avoid. Time for my TUMS. ugh