Insanity

Options
Hello everyone!

I've decided to start the Insanity workout this coming Monday, but I have a few questions about the workout:

1) According to the Harris Benedict Formula, I should be eating around 4025 Calories a day. I got this from setting my Activity level to Very Active ( BMR x 1.7) due to the Insanity workout. Should I use my pre-workout activity level instead? 4025 calories just seems... excessive.

2) Would it be worth it to purchase a HRM? If so, any suggestions?

3) It's going to be a little difficult for me to split 5 meals up over the course of a day. Is there any flexibility in this? Does it need to be a full meal, or would 3 large meals and 2 2-300 calorie snacks work?

4) At what point did you start seeing results? I know this will be different for everyone, but I would like a few examples for the hell of it.

Thanks guys!

Replies

• ct2020
    ct2020 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Did you use the calculations from the guide? That does seem like a lot of food. And I would say do your best with the 5 meals. Everyones circumstances are different.

HRM - It can help to tell you when to slow down but if you know how to listen to your body you would be ok with it. I like having one because it tells me when I'm slacking off too.

I started seeing results in month 2.
  • Jenene88
    Jenene88 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    1-4000 seems really high. R u sure you did it right??
    2-yes get a hrm. There are a ton of different ones out there it all depends on the money you are will to spend.
    3- I would try to do the 5 meals. I would work better. Also maybe thing about getting shakeology for like a snack. I would also help with better results.
    4-I started seeing result within the first month. But u see the biggest results in the 2nd month. That's when I noticed a huge change.
  • zwoodcock
    zwoodcock Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.

Yes. I did the calculations based on the meal plan:

66 + (6.23 * Weight in Pounds) + (12.7 * Height in Inches) - (6.8 * Age in Years)
    so
    66 + (6.23 * 244) + (12.7 * 69) - (6.8 * 19)
    66 + (1520.12) + (876.3) - (129.2)
    Now then I multiply that by the modifier given, which is where I was confused. Since I'm doing this diet for Insanity do I
    calculate this with the "Very Active - Hard exercise 6-7 times a week," which is 1.725, or with my current activity level, which is
    1.55? If I do the first I get 4025, if I do the second I get 3616. Regardless, both calorie amounts are a bit large.

As far as the 5 meals a day goes, the issue will be the fact that I'm at work four days out of the week from either 2-11 or 5-11, and I'm not allowed to eat on the clock.
  • carlachristinewhite
    Options
    Are you trying to lose weight? If so, subtract 500. I have not started my insanity, I am finishing my p90x, but I have gone through the nutrition plan too and am making myself used to the eating habits of it. I think 3500 for you seems reasonable assuming you are losing weight. It really does looks like a lot but your body needs fuel to handle such active lifestyle you will be having when you start insanity. If you follow the food guide, you noticed that the carbs and proteins are almost same amount and lean meats. Protein shakes, nuts and eggs are also a way to go meet the calorie intake. It is just commensurate with your built and intensity of workout.
  • geraldm55
    geraldm55 Posts: 130
    Options
    welcome to insanity!!!

I personally use my pre exercise when saying my activity level and then the workout is a bonus to it.

HRM I wish I had one and I fully intend on getting one in the near future

5 meals is difficult I tend to do 2 large snacks (due to work) and 3 meals. everyones circumstances are different though.

results: I noticed within a week how much better I was feeling. at week 2 on the second fitness test I really saw a difference in my level of conditioning and I'm now just finishing week 3 and I'm starting to notice it in the way my body looks.

This workout is by far the best thing I've ever found.

Have fun and dig deeper!!!

God bless
    Gerald
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    It's really up to you. I found that I REALLY had to up my cals. when doing Insanity as I was getting weaker. I started at 1500, then 1600, then 1800, etc. Don't be afraid to eat more, even though it seems counter-intuitive. Good luck
  • zwoodcock
    zwoodcock Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

So it looks like 3500 calories isn't unreasonable, according to both my doctor and carlachristin.