Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Polar HRM Questions.. really need help! :)

Hi! I have a couple of questions for those that own a Polar HRM. I am considering buying one and I want to make sure of a few things.

First of all, I do a lot of swimming and aqua aerobics classes and I want to make sure I can wear the chest strap and watch while in the water.

Also, I have about 200 to 220 to spend. What is the best Polar I can get for this? I really want calorie calculations but GPS is not really necessary for me.

The main question I have is that I see it says it has coded monitors so it won't interfere with other monitors. The one I am using now which is a basic HRM with chest strap purchased for about 40 dollars has a great feature of causing the machines at the gym to display my HR at all times without having to touch the sensor handles. If I get a polar HRM will this still happen? I love not having to check all the time and moving my hands on and off the sensors is distracting to me. The drawback is I think it may be registering on the machines next to me so I have been using machines that are off by themselves just in case.

Do you have to purchase the watch and chest strap and flow meter separately? I want to purchase all I need together if possible. If someone could tell me the minimum best Polar HRM I could get to address the issues in this message I would be so grateful to you!

Thanks so much! :)

Replies

• iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    After much research and reading reviews and asking around, I've decided to get the Polar Ft4... and I LOVE IT! It's super easy to use, everything comes together, it doesn't interfere with other machines (I don't think... so far so good at least), you can use it in the water, and it's just wonderful. I bought mine for $90. I initially bought a Bowflex Pro Trainer, which was originally $130, but the Polar, $40 less, was BETTER. I'm happy with it, it's a great tool and greater investment!

Hope this helps!

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    I have a Polar FT7 and find it very useful however it does not have GPS but does do Heart Rate and Calorie calculations. It has the chest strap and registers on the various machines I use at the gym. The whole unit is submersible. It can be found for under $150, usually way under.
  • Kel3369
    Kel3369 Posts: 83 Member
    Thanks for responding! I think I am going to go with the Polar Ft7 as I have been able to verify that it can be used when swimming. I am so excited to get it. I found I can get the entire set with the flowmeter to download your workout data for under 125 so I am really happy with that. Thanks! I can't wait to try it and see if the machines at the gym have been accurate or not. :)
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    I just got my polar FT7 on MOnday in the mail from heartratemonitorsusa.com. 76.00 and free shipping. I cant comment on the water feature but it does give heart rate, cals burned and does display on our treadmills at my gym. strap is really comfortable too. stores up to 100 workouts and if you buy the sync pad, you can upload your data to polars website.
  • TaraBeFree
    TaraBeFree Posts: 456 Member
    I've been researching them too over the past couple of days. I did learn that all Polar HRMs do well in the water, so you could get the FT4. That's what I've decided to get. Now to find a fairly priced one in Canada.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    I also have the Polar FT4 and I do use it for my water aerobics class.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    I have the FT60 and love it. The man reason I went with it was because of the extra features and the ability to add on later... The FT60 has Vo2Max which test your resting heart rate and establishes your target fitness zone. It also has a training fitness program that helps you stay in your target fitness zones, it learns and makes sure your always improving. And it is upgradeable later if you want to add a foot pod which will give you GPS. I got my online at heartratemonitorsusa.com, or bodytronics.com both have it for around 130.00 with a 5% discount so after it is around 115 bu
    cks..... Goodluck.....
  • GoCanada
    GoCanada Posts: 92 Member
    I've been researching them too over the past couple of days. I did learn that all Polar HRMs do well in the water, so you could get the FT4. That's what I've decided to get. Now to find a fairly priced one in Canada.

I just got my polar FT7 from http://www.fact-canada.com/

It was only 15 bucks more for the FT7 (135) than the FT4 (119)... so I went for the FT7. Didn't take too long to get here either, but with quick shipping it was just over 150.
  • Kel3369
    Kel3369 Posts: 83 Member
    Thanks for the info about heartratemonitorsusa.com.. I just ordered from them and I am really excited to get it. I think the prices there are really reasonable and with free shipping you can't go wrong. Also, from the reviews I have been reading the shipping is super fast. We are getting whomped with a blizzard right now but hopefully by Monday I will have it and can use it at the gym. Thanks all! :)
  • TaraBeFree
    Thanks for the info. How comfortable do find the strap in water?
  • TaraBeFree

I just got my polar FT7 from http://www.fact-canada.com/

It was only 15 bucks more for the FT7 (135) than the FT4 (119)... so I went for the FT7. Didn't take too long to get here either, but with quick shipping it was just over 150.
    Thanks for the link.
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    just got my ft4 today and used it! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!! cant wait to use it again tomorrow. from reviews ive read seems you cant go wrong with a polar :-)
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,247 Member

Just to clarify something, with the Polar FT4, if you are going to use it in the water, is it true that they advise NOT to click the start button under the water?

I have the FT4, love it :heart: