Nursing Mom

Options
I have only joined this thing to keep track of what I am eating and doing daily. With still nursing my 8 m.o. Iam not allowed to "restrict" my intake, only rework it to be healthy foods. I am having a bit of trouble not gourging on candy all day so I though this would help me see excatly what I am putting in my mouth. The only issue is I know breastfeeding automatically burns calories but is there anyway I can tell how many? Any other nursing moms out there doing the same as me?

Replies

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Nursing does burn calories, but it lessens as your child begins to take in food and not just your milk. The idea is that when your baby is a newborn, you probably burn 500-ish calories a day creating milk, then that drops to 300-ish when your body adjusts to making milk, and drops further as your child begins the weaning process and drops more feedings.

Under food, you can search breastfeeding and choose the option that best describes you, and it will add in a few calories back to your day.
  • butterbean18
    butterbean18 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!! I was looking under cardio to find the info and it wasn't there. Never thought to look under food.
  • MoMoWoodson
    Options
    Is there a way to chnage your calorie intake for a nursing mom I am nursing 6 month old twins
  • butterbean18
    butterbean18 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes but I forgot how. I played around with my app on my phone and found it. Just start playing with everything and you will find where to change it. If I find it I will let you know!
  • Denee85
    Options
    I am also nursing (my 4th baby who is 7 mos old) and I am watching my calories (but not going under 1700) and hoping to lose 59 more pounds.
  • ShefMum
    ShefMum Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've got a 13mnth old and found that although I was RAGING hungry with the breastfeeding and weihgt dropped off at first, there was a point after the early months where my weight plateau'd, then started to climb again, but i had got used to eating a lot and so carried on...and gained. Try and switch to healthy wholegrain foods rather than filling up on fast-hit sugar-high biscuits etc.

** Oh, I made a lot of home-made flapjack with roasted seeds while breastfeeding ** This is butter or marge melted with syrup (or honey - sweetness to taste), combined with porridge oats (+ dried fruit, nuts, seeds etc etc) and baked in the oven for about 15-20 mins for you non-Brits in case you don't have flapjack over there. You get the slow-burn from the oats, which lasts a good while. 8)

I'm still breastfeeding a bit, but I think eating really healthily (and keeping hydrated) covers it.

I never did do the eating loads of cakes and biscuits thing though - as I get too sugar-addicted too quickly (although I did notice that not going to the gym and eating butterkist popcorn porduced really good quantities of milk!!! 8D).
  • ShefMum
    ShefMum Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to chnage your calorie intake for a nursing mom I am nursing 6 month old twins

PS Wow! SuperMum!! ;-)
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I think you can check under food, but you just might have to add in nursing one infant 2Xs (although there is debate if you truly burn 2X the calories with a twin....)
  • Jnh16
    Jnh16 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You can select breastfeeding as a food and it shows a 500 calorie burn - this is if breastmilk is all your baby eats. I'm not sure how much it changes as they start solids.
  • dsb76
    dsb76 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

If you search foods "breastfeeding twins" you can log it daily and it will take off 800 calories.
    I'm nursing my 2 month old twins and that's what I do.