Friday Night is Take Out Night

Options
So we eat out on a Friday Night usually Chinese- i know chow mein is supposed to be pretty low has any one any ideas on some lower calores take out options?

Replies

• leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    To be honest, most take out food is as bad as each other. Can you share a portion with someone else? Or keep half for the next day?
  • m0ns00n
    m0ns00n Posts: 11
    Options
    I think 'take out' and 'low calorie' are mutually exclusive!

My plan is to be under my calorie goal during the week, so I can afford a take out at the weekend. Alternatively, go for a 10k run after work ;-)
  • donnamillie
    donnamillie Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    oh i'll definately half the portion couldnt finish a full one myself anyway lol im trying to keep the rest of todays calories really low and will do some extra walking so i can enjoy the takeout. I need to have a treat at the weekend or I'd give up in no time.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Alot of restaurants are jumping on the healthy food bandwagon. Check the menus of your favorite places before you go out. Choose ahead of time and stick with your choice once you get there. Avoid the bread basket and you should be fine.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Chow mein wouldn't be my choice, too many noodles! I'd go for something where the boiled rice came separately, and only eat a little of it. Nothing fried (so no crispy duck or sweet and sour prawns) - something like beef and brocoli, or chicken and mushroom?
  • lublue
    lublue Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    the thing about chinese food is that it's often quicker to make it than it is to order and wait for a take-away - why don't you look up a quick recipe and make it yourself? It will taste nicer and be 10x healthier, whilst still hitting the same spot!

e.g. http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7769/chicken-chow-mein
  • kezzie888
    Options
    I believe in a cheat meal for sure - it gives you something to look foward to!! Friday must be the night for it - that was mine tonight too:) Back to it tomorrow though - and an extra long walk lol.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    the thing about chinese food is that it's often quicker to make it than it is to order and wait for a take-away - why don't you look up a quick recipe and make it yourself? It will taste nicer and be 10x healthier, whilst still hitting the same spot!

On a normal day I'd do this. But I understand the need for an occasional takeaway!!
  • lublue
    lublue Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hehe I understand :) we used to have them once a week in our house (although ours was indian food) but haven' done it for such a long time that now it seems mad! If I want a take-away sort of meal i'll buy a 'very lazy' (brand) curry paste that has all the spices etc already in it, add chicken and coconut milk/yoghurt and voila

edit: althought to be fair I ove cooking - if you didn't I would totally understand why this does not replace take-away food!
  • pearsy67
    pearsy67 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Damn Friday night, family pizza night from the local shop. And George does great pizzas. It just means less of the best rather than eating until I am satisfied.
    Hopefully all the bike rides during the week will help.
  • cottonball77
    Options
    Most Chinese food places around here (Boston area) have a whole section of steamed/healthy cholces. Also, egg drop soup is a pretty good choice!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    These are your best bets:

Clear won ton soup

Small portion of plain boiled rice

Chicken or King Prawns (shrimp) with broccoli & rice wine sauce
    Chicken/Prawns with pinapple
    Chicken/Prawns with Ginger & spring onions
    Chicken/ Prawns with mushrooms
    Chicken/Prawns with bamboo shoots
    Chicken/Prawns with Chinese cabbage
    Chicken/Prawns with mixed Veg

Steer clear of noodles/ chow mein, fried rice, anything deep fried or crispy, sweet sauce dishes such as sweet & sour, OK, Plum, Hoi sin, Sezcuan or creamy sauces like Garlic/ satay/ curry, prawn crackers.

Duck, beef and pork tend to be fattier- so up the cals.
  • donnamillie
    donnamillie Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    These are your best bets:

Clear won ton soup

Small portion of plain boiled rice

Chicken or King Prawns (shrimp) with broccoli & rice wine sauce
    Chicken/Prawns with pinapple
    Chicken/Prawns with Ginger & spring onions
    Chicken/ Prawns with mushrooms
    Chicken/Prawns with bamboo shoots
    Chicken/Prawns with Chinese cabbage
    Chicken/Prawns with mixed Veg

Steer clear of noodles/ chow mein, fried rice, anything deep fried or crispy, sweet sauce dishes such as sweet & sour, OK, Plum, Hoi sin, Sezcuan or creamy sauces like Garlic/ satay/ curry, prawn crackers.

Duck, beef and pork tend to be fattier- so up the cals.

so all my favs are out then lol chicken and mushroom wouldnt be too bad i suppose
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    We have chinese once a week, every week and I coult it in and still lose. I usually have chicken and mushroom and boiled rice, counted as follows (from the database):

Dinner

(cals/carbs/fat/protein)
    Chinese Take Away - Boiled Rice Updated, 1 container (300 gs ea.)

406 86 4 8

Chinese - Chicken With Mushrooms, 16 z

258 13 12 27

Sometimes I even have enough spare cals for chicken and sweetcorn soup!
  • artcaro1972
    Options
    Ask for little/no oil. They usually do it.

My favorite is sizzling rice soup. Even a big bowl probably has too few calories for a meal.
  • mizzcase
    Options
    Yes, ask them to prep it "light" with little or no oil. My Chinese place has no problem doing it. I get Moo Goo Gai Pan (chicken with mushrooms), get the rice on the side, and skip the rice. A big serving (1 cup) is about 275 calories. Watch your salt intake for the day though, Chinese food is notorious for high sodium.
  • therapyruns
    therapyruns Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    brown rice - not fried if they have it and ask them to cook it light, etc. most places cook brown rice with eggs, oil, etc. I tell them I can't eat eggs (vegan) and to just give me plain rice. I eat maybe half of that and then ask for veggies on the side. if you are a meat eater, shrimp and chicken are great options!
  • sallyspan
    sallyspan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ask for steamed veggies with your protein of choice (chicken, shrimp, or tofu) with brown sauce in a cup on the side. That way you can dip as you please - it's not smothered in the sauce. Also, limit the brown rice!!
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I have tried and tried to make chicken and broccoli taste like take out but can never get it to taste that good,
  • adesruis
    Options
    Me too! I make it through the week by knowing I will allow myself one treat meal during the weekend. I try to eat well the rest of that given day and exercise but I usually end up a little over that day.