Week 2 stumbling block

Options
Heys guys, I started MFP January 1st of this year. I've stuck to a good diet and started exercising. Week 1 I lost 5.7 pounds. For week 2 I know that it's a little harder but I still expected a decent loss. I haven't changed anything with my diet or exercise. I log my weight on Sundays and at this point I am looking at actually logging a 1 lb gain if I can't drop it in the next 2 days. I've started diet programs before but I've never stuck with them because I get discouraged when I don't see results. I just need a bit of a push.

Replies

• smokeybryant
    Options
    Well done for deciding to start in the first place! Making a decision to change your life is always hard.

My biggest tip would be not to weigh yourself so often, if you are sticking to you calorie goals and doing exercise then the weight will come off but each week will be different and thats ok. if you already know where you are on the weigh in for this week then i am guessing that you are weighing yourself more than once a week.

Even if you do gain a pound this week, the trick is to not lose heart and give up! Its a longer road than 2 weeks, stick with it and you will get to your goal.

If it helps then try setting yourself an exercise goal rather than a weight loss one, if you are pushing yourself to reach that goal then then weight will just fall off naturally anyway. There are always people setting challenges on MFP so i suggest having a look and seeing which ones takes your fancy, or setting your own goal and inviting others to try it with you.

Good Luck and don't lose heart!
  • robynluvsjesus
    robynluvsjesus Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous reply. Try weigh every other week or once a month. Stay off the scale and focus on what you need to do to make sure the next time you step on it, you're satisfied with what it gives you. Your weight can fluctuate for so many reason, like sodium content, bloat, constipation, fiber content, electrolyte balance....ect. Stay off the scale, and you'll be a lot less discouraged.
  • michellecorvin
    michellecorvin Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! From watching Biggest Loser so much over the past few years, I have realized that the 'dreaded' week two is the hardest. Your body is in shock of the changes so will try to hold on to things. Just push past it though and the payoff later on is amazing. Congrats for starting. I just started this week and have a very long way to go! ;D
  • shira324
    shira324 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I find that when I start a new diet/exercise regimen I always see a big loss in the first week, then it evens off for a little while. I find weighing in once or twice a month at most to be the best bet. I know my weight fluctuates from day to day and at different times in the day. When you work out you (should be) taking in extra water, and that can make the scale lie a little bit. If you're sticking to the calorie reduction and working out, the weight will come off, I promise.

Don't get too caught up in the daily weight checks, this is a long, but very rewarding process. Don't lose faith, keep at it! There's tons of support to be had on MFP, it's so encouraging!
  • jimthix10
    Options
    What I've done so far is weigh in twice a week. I log Sunday and then Wed/Thur I've been weighing in to just make sure I'm making progress. Sounds like I should cut the mid-week out and just let my actions tell me that I'm making progress.
  • nvouvalis
    Options
    Also, take measurements instead of looking at the scale. My weight hasn't fluctuated much (4 pounds in three months, really) but my pants size has! Also, where I was getting dangerously close to kankles, I now have defined calves and slim ankles. It's not all about the scale :)
  • Strobins05
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Don't give up and Welcome to MFP! Keep logging and doing what you are doing. We have a long way to go and I know you want this, LOL. You may want to take measurements of your body as well. I have lost many inches and only three pounds this past month. But I know that is how it works so I'm super happy with my results. Good luck to you and be encouraged!