What has helped you the most with your fitness?

Options
Krizzle4Rizzle
Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
For me it was buying a good elliptical (thanks rml_16 for talking me out of a cheap one) And my polar Ft7. They have got me back on the right track!

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Getting out of denial.
  • 1lauram
    Options
    Having a partner to work out with.
  • Lanna74
    Lanna74 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Just sticking to it is the main thing.
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Getting my HRM. Before, I wasn't losing as much or any even though I was eating right and working out. Turns out MFP had my exercise calories waaayyy too high and I eat them back. And after a while, the changes in my body keep me going. It took a while but once I realized how slimmer my thighs have become and that I'm starting to see very slight definition in my stomach and arms, there's no way I can give up now. I want it pretty badly so seeing results is definitely a good motivator.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Sensible suggestion - alternating having goals (running the London Marathonin April) with fun (Zumba!)

Silly suggestion - waterproof mascara and eyeliner! Honestly, being able to go to the gym or pool without having to take my face off first makes all the difference in the world to whether I go or not!
  • only4me_lori
    only4me_lori Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    MUSIC....
  • meltygarden
    meltygarden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    When my brain tells me "screw this" and I'm about to quit, I made a pact with myself to go five more minutes. Usually that gets me over the hump and I can finish my exercise goal after all.

If that doesn't work I close my eyes and focus on my breathing instead of looking at the clock. ;) (not recommended for all equipment or for cross-country running)
  • Bomber989
    Options
    "MFP"

This site has allowed me to be brutally honest about my food intake and the caloric "hit" that I was doing to myself. My goal has been to loose some weight so that I could start running and biking again. I'm loosing the weight and that is due to the accountability this site affords for tracking my food intake, and by use of the Cinch weight loss program from Shaklee.

If you're not ready to be honest with exactly where you are in life, regarding health and fitness, then you're probably not serious about loosing weight and really getting fit.

This really needs to be a "Life Style" change.....not a New Years Resolution.

Best of luck with all you hope to achieve.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Getting to buy new clothes since all my old clothes got too big :)
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Getting out of denial.

Serves you right for living in Egypt.

Annnnnnyway, for me it is consistent effort.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Setting goals I need a training schedule to achieve, like running a 5 or 10k. I'm totally a Type A person & it bothers me more to be off-schedule than it does to work out when I don't feel like it.
  • Maximus0005
    Maximus0005 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    :devil: Making an ex jealous
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    As of lately.. my divorce. I mean, might as well make the best of my new lovely solo time. Plus, I want me a hot boy and want to look as hot as I possibly can.

Also, my HRM. It's my own little competition. I got it around Christmas time and LOVE it. Love pushing myself to see big numbers when I'm done.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Being stubborn. Seriously.

ETA: Also, focusing on getting HEALTHY instead of on what the scale said. My motto is:
    EVERY CHOICE YOU MAKE ABOUT WHAT YOU WILL PUT IN YOUR BODY AND HOW YOU WILL MOVE YOUR BODY WILL EITHER PUT YOU ONE STEP CLOSER TO GOOD HEALTH OR ONE STEP FURTHER AWAY.
    If you are stubborn about following that and making good choices, you literally CAN'T fail.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    1. Simply getting myself to the gym

2. Making my exercise count. I was going to the gym & running a mile and that was it. It wasn't enough. I have added the bicycle, stair stepper & elliptical (not all on the same day of course) to supplement my running.

JM
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    For me it was buying a good elliptical (thanks rml_16 for talking me out of a cheap one) And my polar Ft7. They have got me back on the right track!

You're welcome. :-)

To be honest, the biggest help for me was my own brain. I had a tendency to "put off until tomorrow what I should be doing today." Tired after work? I'll skip the workout and go in the morning. Oops. Hit the snooze alarm!

Enough times doing that and I finally talked myself into just getting off my butt and going. Did that enough times that it became a habit and my body started craving the exercise.

Also, I read a TON about fitness and nutrition, so educating myself keeps me on track because I think before I eat something now. I still have my off days, but not every day.
  • btpeanut
    btpeanut Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    So far the calorie intake.....
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Focusing on a narrow, well defined goal and accomplishing it, rather than trying to accomplish too many things at the same time and accomplishing none of them.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    Logging and running.

Also showing up at the gym 6 days a week.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Running... lots of it... but in order to get there I had to change my mindset and make fitness a priority in my daily life. So, I would say getting my head right and admitting that I needed to make a change for me and ONLY me... was the biggest thing that helped me.