Alcohol....

Options

Replies

• rayleansout
    Options
    When I am dieting I just dont drink it at all! Alcohol converts to sugar - sugar spikes insluline responce = fat storage - try not to drink to much

Honestly when i was your age, i drank eneough for both of us!!

Log it in and count it and try to offest it with more fibrous veggies in your diet
  • Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If you know you are gonna drink alcohol then try to cut down on food

this is a great way to wind up in an emergency room

haha :bigsmile: I meant cutting down on high calorie food :bigsmile: not starving ofcourse :bigsmile:
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Get on the dancefloor all night - none of this sultry slinky stuff, throw your hands in the air and moooooove!
  • Fit_Forever25
    Options
    Get on the dancefloor all night - none of this sultry slinky stuff, throw your hands in the air and moooooove!
    I love that move ;-)))))))))))
  • TimWilkinson101
    TimWilkinson101 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Yep, alcohol counts (obviously).

I've ditched alcohol this year, not for the calories but because its just not a good health choice... and its expensive these days.

Best drink to have if dieting is probably diet soda and vodka. I've noted though that alcohol free drinks tend to be pretty low calorie which is handy.
  • dezi718
    dezi718 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    This is my problem too b/c we always have friends over EVERY Friday and Saturday night! I have been limiting myself to shots mostly b/c they are less calories and more effective. :) So far, it's worked!

Good luck!
  • Fit_Forever25
    Options
    This is my problem too b/c we always have friends over EVERY Friday and Saturday night! I have been limiting myself to shots mostly b/c they are less calories and more effective. :) So far, it's worked!

Good luck!
    Totally!!! .. I was a beer lover earlier but since they are so high calorie I have now switched to Tequila shots or whiskey on the rocks .. less calories but much more effective :bigsmile:
  • donnamillie
    donnamillie Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    im going out tomorrow nite too its not so much the drink im worried about but the Kebab i will no doubt stagger home with lol i usually drink vodka with sparking apple but think i'll have it with soda and lime instead
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I would count the calories, but if you are drinking so much you can't eat then that can't be healthy. But I wouldn't just not count them because those empty calories add up and fast...I found this article about what they call not eating in order to drink...they call it drunkorexia...heres the article:

http://uwire.com/2010/09/16/drunkorexia-the-dangers-of-an-alcohol-based-diet/
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I love alcohol, and I have to say I'm probably at my best after a few glasses of wine too - I'm a loving, warm , affectionate drunk. I'm the sort of drunk who sings love songs to foxes and dances down the street with joy.

I'm never going to give it up completely, I enjoy it too much. What I'm doing, and still losing weight, is to make sure my drinking day is my weekly cheat day and/or bank the calories from the rest of the week for that nights drinking. Plan ahead, if you know you are going out Friday night, eat 100 calories less each day the rest of the week. DON'T deprive yourself of food that night - that way lies disaster...
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I just love beer (and tequila, jager bombs, etc) I always save calories for a beer or two most nights. On those outings with friends it's going to be impossible to save that many calories haha! What you could do though is start with shots and then sip water throughout instead of having so many mixed drinks/beer. I'd probably just call it a cheat day and drink what I wanted though :P Just make sure they don't come more than once a week ;)
  • slw732
    slw732 Posts: 23
    Options
    I know where you're coming from because I've been struggling with this question myself. BUT as an alternative to diet soda and vodka, you can try a splash of gin or vodka mixed with water and ice and use crystal light water flavour packs to taste. It is delicious and because you're drinking water with every shot it greatly reduces the chance of waking up with a hangover. Hope you have a fun night :)
  • lrd2010
    lrd2010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Alcohol isn't a bad thing, just like everything in moderation.

Yes, I realise that as a student that is a tricky thing to deal with (been there, done that ;) )

I try to limit my alcohol intake to a couple of glasses of wine a week (when calorie allowance for the week allows) - this has been known to spill over to a bottle :)

*shrug* make allowances throughout the week. Do an extra half hour in the gym or whatever and enjoy yourself :)

Lifestyle, not diet ;)
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I started here in Jan 11 and never counted my alcohol calories. I would have drank alot at the weekend. I haven't had a drink since September and it has really helped me. Whenever i drank i would feel ill for days after and ate alot of crap basically and exercise went out the window so it really disruped my weight loss. I don't even miss it anymore. Went out 5 nights over Xmas and new year and it didn't bother me. Although i did have a sip of champagne at 12 on New year's eve. Try to exercise more on the days you drink to give you some wiggle room for calories. :wink:
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm a senior in college and it is definitely a difficult thing to deal with. For me it means sacrifices and being able to say NO to friends. If I can't go out and stay sober, it probably won't be that much fun to begin with. If I am going to drink then I try to make it fit into my calories. I get into trouble when I choose to make things an "I don't care about calories" day. It usually turns into the whole weekend.
  • LizDHarris
    LizDHarris Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Always log everything, even if it takes you over your allowance. If I know I'm going out I plan in advance what I can have (2 small glasses of white wine usually) and then stick to it. After that I move on to drinking fizzy water. That makes it sound so easy - which we all know it isn't!
  • jeckyb
    jeckyb Posts: 60
    Options
    its one night! just go out and enjoy your night dont ruin it obsessing over calories,just dont make a habit of heavy drinking at the weekends and try to avoid cider and beer! it is tough to lose weight when your a student,theres too many parties! enjoy your night x
  • kysassyblonde1
    Options
    Maybe try the new lower carb beers with lower calories like the Michalob (sorry for spelling dont drink it myself) Ulras and I pretty sure bud makes a ultra also with alot lower calories. They also make the margarita lite mixes now, I saw them at walmart, might not be able to get these things in clubs but when just drinking at home or a friends house you could!!!!
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I started to drink Jack and Diet Coke!
  • mm3898
    mm3898 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I really lowered the alcohol intake in November and December, and this month so far I haven't had any and my weight is dropping steadily. I DO believe alcohol has a place in a healthy, moderate diet but you need to decide how important drinking socially is to you. To me, it became less important than feeling good about how my body looks and can function, so I'm trying to plan specific, important fun times where I will be drinking but not do it every weekend like I used to.

But to answer your question, I would try to work out a little extra, hydrate A TON, and try to incorporate your alcohol calories into the days total calories. That plan is possible, but it gets hard to stick to if you're out having fun, so I guess I could also say have today be a lenient day and hop back on track tomorrow.

Have fun and best wishes!