Edamame: A healthy option?

Options
Hiiiii...
I am in no mood to work today and have been posting a lot on MFP sitting in office :blushing:
Just wanted to know.. Is Edamame healthy for Women or in general for weight loss?
Have been reading about it on the internet so got mixed views.. As a vegetarian I need a lot of such thinks which are high in protein so was thinking of adding it in my regular meals.
What do you people suggest?

Replies

• therapyruns
    therapyruns Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am a vegan and love edamame. I eat handfuls as snacks and put it on salads or mix with veggie dishes. I eat it because it's delicious and I need the protein. Thumbs up from me!
  • behind_blue_eyes_83
    Options
    I love Edamame so would like to hear about this.
  • mochalovies
    mochalovies Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    edamame is one of my favorite snacks -- now I am craving some :tongue:
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I love having them too...they also are a great source of fiber!
  • njoithomp
    Options
    I love to eat it steamed or dried. The only bad thing I discovered about it is that it can raise hormone levels in an un-healthy way if you eat a whole lot of it. Stay in moderation and it should be fine.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I'm curious why there would be mixed views. It's a great snack, low in calorie and fat, good fiber. I like them steamed with a little kosher salt, and I even made hummus from the edamame beans. Yum!
  • KAbena
    KAbena Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Love edamame - surely it's not too bad in moderation?
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I steer clear because of thyroid issues.
  • Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I love to eat it steamed or dried. The only bad thing I discovered about it is that it can raise hormone levels in an un-healthy way if you eat a whole lot of it. Stay in moderation and it should be fine.
    Ohh yess!! I was more interested to hear something like that as a trainer once told me its bad for women coz of these hormonal reasons but I am not having too much of it may be small pot worth 80-90 calories in a week or so .. dont want those hormonal problems anymore
  • floshideaway
    floshideaway Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Edamame are wonderful but you have to keep in mind that 1/2 cup is 100+ calories so they should be used sparingly. They are very healthy but like everything else they will contribute to weight gain if you do not portion it out.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    everything, including soy, in moderation I suppose.

Love it as a snack on its own or mixed with quinoa/walnuts/lemon juice/olive oil.
  • Fit_Forever25
    Options
    I have a fear of every product related to Soy.. that they can lead into hormonal imbalance :huh:
    I stopped eating Soy products 2 years back but have started in moderation again after joining MFP .. but dont know really how much is too much for me
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have a fear of every product related to Soy.. that they can lead into hormonal imbalance :huh:
    I stopped eating Soy products 2 years back but have started in moderation again after joining MFP .. but dont know really how much is too much for me

This is the recommendation from the Harvard School of Public Health.
    Eat soy in moderation. Soybeans, tofu, and other soy-based foods are an excellent alternative to red meat. In some cultures, tofu and soy foods are a protein staple, and we don’t suggest any change. But if you haven't grown up eating lots of soy, there's no reason to go overboard: Two to 4 servings a week is a good target; eating more than that likely won't offer any health benefits and we can’t be sure that there is no harm.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein-full-story/index.html#soy
  • tcpowell25
    Options
    I love it and it's inexpensive
  • Fit_Forever25
    Options
    Eat soy in moderation. Soybeans, tofu, and other soy-based foods are an excellent alternative to red meat. In some cultures, tofu and soy foods are a protein staple, and we don’t suggest any change. But if you haven't grown up eating lots of soy, there's no reason to go overboard: Two to 4 servings a week is a good target; eating more than that likely won't offer any health benefits and we can’t be sure that there is no harm.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein-full-story/index.html#soy

oh thanku thats makes perfect sense! thanks for helping me :)
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to have a baby, only have it in moderation- it raises estrogen levels, which can affect fertility!

If you are not trying to have a baby- go for it!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options

But not if you have any kind of thyroid issues. And I think there may be other health issues, where soy is contraindicated, but I've just researched thyroid, as it applies to me.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian and love edamame. I keep it around - great in salads, i throw some in my tuna salad even. The grandkids scarf it up.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Get the Organic, NON-GMO kind and you will be fine eating soy in moderation a few times a week. I stay away from the "fake meats" generally and focus on tofu, tempeh or edamame (which is the least processed).

Soy beans and Corn are two crops that the american farm industry have ruined in order to maximize a large quantity of low quality yields.... mostly for non-editable uses in various industries and also as cheap fillers for processed foods, etc.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

But not if you have any kind of thyroid issues. And I think there may be other health issues, where soy is contraindicated, but I've just researched thyroid, as it applies to me.

As with any general recommendation, this would apply for healthy adults. If you have any disease, syndrome or other health issue you should always check with your doctor as the rules may be different.