Indoor Cycling Bike

Options
Hello! So a little over a year ago I bought a cheap upright exercise bike. I have been using it every other day since then and it is now starting to sound like its days are numbered. I am looking into buying a better bike that I can do at home spinning classes on, and am wondering if anyone has any recommendations? I really appreciate it!

Replies

• crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Have you got a real bike for outside? If so... just get a rear wheel trainer and a cycle computer and you have the perfect indoor torture, I mean training device that can also be packed away and the bike used outdoors in summer.
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend a spinning bike. I bought one a couple years ago and used it a lot but maintaining it was annoying. Clean, oil the flywheel, etc. I don't ever use mine anymore. It's functional but makes some noise when I increase resistance. The brand I bought was MULTISPORT and cost me about $500 which is on the cheap end of the market. I used some spin class DVDs with it and the DVDs lose their appeal after you play them like a 100 times! To be honest, attending a live spin class is the best. I now have a $500 dollar paperweight sitting in my apt. If I sold it, it'll probably go for less than $100.
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Have you got a real bike for outside? If so... just get a rear wheel trainer and a cycle computer and you have the perfect indoor torture, I mean training device that can also be packed away and the bike used outdoors in summer.

Yes. This is the best idea. Spinning indoors during the winter is great but once warm weather comes around it definitely stinks.
  • christinajohnson
    christinajohnson Posts: 102 Member
    Options

Ditto, I can change the resistance on mine and watch movies while cycling or get reading/work done while working out. Plus, I like that with a twist I can just take the bike outside on a nice day.
  • mogadad
    mogadad Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Picked up my exercycle off a tree lawn. Works the arms as well as legs. I'm never good for more than 15 minutes. Schwinn AirDyns are the best if you can find one on Craigslist
  • calgonday
    calgonday Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Ditto, I can change the resistance on mine and watch movies while cycling or get reading/work done while working out. Plus, I like that with a twist I can just take the bike outside on a nice day.
  • calgonday
    calgonday Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thats a great idea where do you find these stands at? The bike shops?
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    Well, I can't give any advice on the what the others are (a real bike indoors), but I can tell you I bought this bike: >>> http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=Nautilus+U514+Upright+Exercise+Bike&ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=0 <<< and I love it!!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Thats a great idea where do you find these stands at? The bike shops?
    Sporting good stores, or even online...the proper name is a "bike trainer"

try www.performancebike.com to get ideas. I got one at ****'s Sporting Goods for like $100, and it was great (I don't think you have to spend a fortune on an expensive one).
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options

I agree! This is what I do.
  • rwozzie
    rwozzie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hmm maybe a bike trainer would be better. The only problem is I don't have a bike! If I were going to buy an outside bike are there some brands that are better than others?
  • crux
    Options
    well if you don't have an outside bike it's a tougher call. I don't know how much an indoor fixed bike costs, you would have to look at what is most cost effective for you.

Bike wise, gosh there are a million choices... the only real need for using it with an rear wheel trainer is that it has a plain slick road type tyre. So a starter road bike or one of those flat bared urban cross bikes would be good.
  • rwozzie
    rwozzie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The indoor spin bikes range from $275 to over $1000. I just looked online real quick but it looks like I could get a decent (I think!) hybrid bike plus the bike trainer for around $300. Plus if I bought the real bike I get the bonus of actually riding outside once it warms up! Thanks for the advice!
  • crux
    Options
    Cool!

Next advice... bike a lot, Run a bit, swim a bit and enter a sprint Triathlon! :happy:
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Hmm maybe a bike trainer would be better. The only problem is I don't have a bike! If I were going to buy an outside bike are there some brands that are better than others?
    I have a Gary Fischer mountain bike and love it, but there are lots of good ones out there (depending on price range). I paid around $350 for mine in '06 (before upgrades like an odometer, kickstand, bottle holder, bell, etc) and have put about 800 miles on it and its still in fantastic shape (I do get it tuned up every year or so since I ride dirt roads a lot).

I would definitely advise getting a good bike (from a bike shop), because they ride so much nicer than cheap ones (which means you're going to WANT to use it more).