Runners.....Chicago marathon?

Options
I'm a slow runner and finished the full at Disney this past weekend in 5:55. Has anyone run the Chicago marathon? Considering running it this year but worried I may be too slow! Any thoughts? My full was the day after running a half I'm assuming I could have a better finish time if I didn't run a half the day before. However nervous I'd be way at the end of the race.

Replies

• KristieKRN
    KristieKRN Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I just started running again after MANY years... I am planning on running the Detroit Free Press marathon in October. My very first one! So I am happy to hear you made it in under 6. They are allowing 6.5 here, and I will be happy to finish.
    I would say to look at their time limit. If you can make it under their allotted time - GO FOR IT!
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I have run Chicago and I did not care for it. It is EXTREMELY crowded slower than 4 hrs and there are a ton of sharp turns adding to congestion.
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I ran a marathon in the suburbs of Chicago last year, and am running Chicago this year (signing up as soon as registration opens in February!)

However, I live on the course of the marathon and went out and watched runners last year - my apartment is between mile 7 and 8 - and I can tell you there many people behind the 6 hour pacer :)
  • whoosh1
    whoosh1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Congrats on finishing the Goofy Challenge!

I have not done the Chicago Marathon before but here is what I have heard about it:

- busy, congested race, aid stations are a mad house
    - weather sometimes can be an issue (hot - google Chicago Marathon 2007)
    - flat
    - it is one of the 'big' races, a lot of charity groups
    - If you finish around 6:00 I don't think you would too close to the back of the pack
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Chicago doesn't sound worth giving up a race at Disney. It'll cost me apx same amount of money for a quick trip to Disney for the tower of terror 10 miler or the wine and dine half. Would love to d another marathon this year but really want to have a fun easy course since I'm a slow runner. Thanks for the info!