First 5K

Options
Doing my first 5K park run tomorrow i can run it on a hamster wheel but never tried it outside any tips

Replies

• munkeyfunk
    munkeyfunk Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Start of easy and try to get into rhythm as soon as possible, and when you feel like giving up just think to yr self one more step, until you finish.

Good Luck!!
  • Orient_Charm
    Orient_Charm Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I agree with munkey.......step by step
  • Poohsta0
    Poohsta0 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Pace yourself. You will be tempted to bolt and chase the faster runner. Ease into it. A couple races in you will know when to push and when to recover.
  • trailblazer888
    trailblazer888 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race. That was the advice I got when i ran my first 5k outdoors. Just pace yourself , find what speed works for you and go with it.
    Good Luck! :)
  • jeffrey2584
    jeffrey2584 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    negative splits.....
  • Sandikh
    Sandikh Posts: 116
    Options
    You will do great....!! I did my first 5K this past fall and I loved it...! I can't wait to do it again! Good luck and have fun..!
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Pace yourself. You will be tempted to bolt and chase the faster runner. Ease into it. A couple races in you will know when to push and when to recover.

This!
  • heartshines
    heartshines Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Run your race..not the other ones'. Don't worry about anyone around you.
    Not sure your weather where you are...if it's cold, try not to start off too quick. Easy to pull muscles.
    Find your pace.

Good luck!
  • raulsuhett
    Options
    I'm planning to run a 10km run by the end of the year... I'm completely sedentary and found this plan which I'm following - it's for a 5km and it covers 9 weeks. Maybe you can find some useful info! http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Don't eat curry tonight. Seriously, half way round the park and it will need to leave your system!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    "Run the tangents" as a runner friend of mine says. There's going to be a bunch of people and you will tend to want to run around them- but this will lead you to zig zag a lot and create more distance for you to run. Do your best to run as "straight" as possible- move to the right if you're slower, left if you're faster but try not to go back and forth a ton.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    No tips, but let us know how it goes. I signed up for my first on in April (only on the 3rd week of C25K right now)
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Run your race..not the other ones'. Don't worry about anyone around you.
    Not sure your weather where you are...if it's cold, try not to start off too quick. Easy to pull muscles.
    Find your pace.

Good luck!

I agree with this completely... run YOUR race :wink:
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    Run slow than you think you should. Also try incorporating walk breaks before you need them, even if it's only 30 seconds. I wear a timer that is set on 2 minute run and 30 second walk intervals to keep a routine. (I'm not a very good runner, so I NEED those breaks haha)