Look through my diary

Am I eating enough? Yes, I know I had some cookies. I'm trying to get the sweets fully out of the house. My Church is doing a biggest loser competition starting Sunday and I'm trying to get my diet and exercise worked out before it starts so I fully know what I'm doing. Some of the recipes I cook are for my in-home daycare, and I can stop eating those meals and switch to eggs and fruit, or something like that.

Thanks

Replies

• soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    I would track sodium too if I were you. You eat a lot of prepackaged foods and there doesn't seem to be a lot of fresh fruit and veggies. What you eat is as important as how many calories. I think the amount of calories is probably fine I would try to eat more fresh foods. Good luck in your contest!!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    I would try to eat more veggies and less processed.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Based on what I see you are eating enough. I think you have a good idea to add more eggs and also veggies and fruits as well. They don't have to be expensive either - snack on a banana, apple, string cheese, almonds and start slow and maybe limit to one pre-packaged meal a day?

Just remember on days you exercise, eat a little extra snack to cover some (if not all) of those calories. Try and hit your protein goal everyday too!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Can I ask what the slim fast thing is? it has 127 calories/2g fat/145mg sodium/23g carbs(only 2g fiber!)/20g Sugar!/2g protein!? Is it for taste?

You could get a protein powder with vanilla flavor that would be less calories and no fat/carbs/sugar(except it has more protein).
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    More fruits and veggies. Eggs (hard boiled for snack, or omelets with veggies and cheese for meals) Greek low fat yogurt. Low fat, low sodium string cheese. I notice a lot of times you just have one thing for dinner, I wonder why you don't have a vegetable or other side dish with your main dinner meals?

Sodium is a killer as mentioned too. I was eating a lot of processed foods too and fast food. I still have fast food for lunch Monday through Friday but I have to watch what I choose in what combination and the quantities.

Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day, and more if you can.
  • If you go to the food tab and then settings you can set what categories you want to show up in your food diary. You can add sodium to your list so you can see just how much you are consuming. I added sugar and was really suprised by how much sugar was in some foods and how much was ideal to have in a day. This may help you make some better choices on how to use your calories. Hope this helps
  • lysistrataNix
    lysistrataNix Posts: 125 Member
    It's a slim fast shake mix, my husband started drinking them and then I did too for breakfast because I don't really like eating in the morning. I'm pretty bad about skipping breakfast all together so a shake is a happy compromise.

With the veggies, I have a mostly hate relationship with them. I'm not big on the taste and I was one of those who had the parent that made me sit at the table for hours until I ate everything on my plate including veggies. It's just something I need to get over and work on.

I'll probably start watching my sodium a little better, I'm still on overload from the fact I wasn't allowed to have a lot while pregnant last year due to PIH and swelling.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions I will work on them :smile:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Okay, how about fruit? Apples, bananas, pears, plums are all really convenient.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Switch your Slim Fast powder for vanilla protein powder!
  • lysistrataNix
    lysistrataNix Posts: 125 Member
    I'll switch my powder out and fruit is alright. I've been trying to eat more as of late.
  • It's a slim fast shake mix, my husband started drinking them and then I did too for breakfast because I don't really like eating in the morning. I'm pretty bad about skipping breakfast all together so a shake is a happy compromise.

With the veggies, I have a mostly hate relationship with them. I'm not big on the taste and I was one of those who had the parent that made me sit at the table for hours until I ate everything on my plate including veggies. It's just something I need to get over and work on.

I'll probably start watching my sodium a little better, I'm still on overload from the fact I wasn't allowed to have a lot while pregnant last year due to PIH and swelling.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions I will work on them :smile:

I grew up eating Taco Bell and mayo sandwiches for dinner. I was never "taught" to eat properly...so I hate vegetables too...but you're an adult now and you have to take responsibility for your own body. I serve myself 2 tablespoons of fat free sour cream and I use it as dip for any vegetable I am eating (carrots, celery). I cook spinach and put it on top of spaghetti, home made pizza, as a side with egg whites you name it...just do it...start with one meal and go from there.
  • livestar
    livestar Posts: 140 Member
    Definitely and if you don't love eating fruits/veg, just add them to your morning smoothie so you're getting the nutrients.
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    I agree with the advice to cut out processed foods. The more whole foods will be much better for losing weight in a healthy way. Not just the number of calories that you put into your body matters, the quality of the calories matters as well. There are lots of veggies out there that you can try in lots of different ways to make them more palatable. One for example, is spaghetti squash. I roast it in the oven and it shreds, so it looks like spaghetti. It is delicious with pasta sauce (even my hubby and kids like it). I also like to puree veggies to add to my cooking, you can puree and sautee mushrooms, onions and peppers and add them to meatloaf. Good luck, remember to try and eat whole foods and less sugar! Good luck!