What does cottage cheese taste like??

Options
OK, so I'm one of those texture eaters meaning that if somethings looks like it has a weird texture, I won't eat it (i.e. slimy, lumpy, bumpy, curdly....lol...I think you get the point). I really would like to try cottage cheese but every time I look at it, I think of the bad spoiled milk experience I've had in the past and think I'm going to hurl it back up. I want to suck it up so bad and try it but it's like I have a mental roadblock when it comes to that.

Does it have a similar taste to anything else? Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can ease my way into tasting it?

Thanks!

ETA: I used to be this way with oatmeal when I was little but my mom pretty much shoved it down my throat to get me to eat it...lol. Now I'm ok with it.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    Options
    Cheese, but with cottage ovetones.
  • lgtheright1
    lgtheright1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm actually eating some right now for my morning snack.
    It's a sort of salty cheesy dairy flavor. The texture is like tapioca.
    I like to put pepper on mine and eat it with ritz crackers.
    You can also eat it with fruit ... it adds variety to the flavor of cottage cheese.
    Which alone for some people isn't always that appetizing.
    You just have to have an open mind if you've never tried it before.
  • Tianzi
    Tianzi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Try it, you may be surprised. I love it! It's a mild flavor and good for you :) I am learning to try new healthy foods, just take a bite :)
  • milehiguy
    milehiguy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I personally would never try cottage cheese. I know it's been served to me in various forms, but baked in with something else.
    The texture and lumpiness is a big turn off and I can't simply eat it by itself.

Good luck if you do decide to try it.
  • Scott_P
    Scott_P Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    its actually pretty good. Dont let its look fool you.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    You have to just try it. It's a food you either love or hate.
    I just can't eat it. I tried.
  • stayceal
    Options
    I'm actually eating some right now for my morning snack.
    It's a sort of salty cheesy dairy flavor. The texture is like tapioca.
    I like to put pepper on mine and eat it with ritz crackers.
    You can also eat it with fruit ... it adds variety to the flavor of cottage cheese.
    Which alone for some people isn't always that appetizing.
    You just have to have an open mind if you've never tried it before.

Thanks, I may start with the fruit mixed in first. That seems the safest for me...lol.
  • jwilds1010
    jwilds1010 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Love it with cherry tomatoes and pepper!!
  • stayceal
    Options
    Thanks for your input everyone...I may suck it up and try it this weekend. Maybe I'll buy one of those small single containers w/fruit so I won't waste that much if it's a fail.
  • dclamb
    dclamb Posts: 7
    Options

That sounds clever and amazing! Totally trying that!

I like Breakstone's 100 cal. pack Cottage Cheese w/ Pineapple. Having some today, in fact.
  • hsmithway
    hsmithway Posts: 191
    Options
    Cottage cheese is pure awesome. I love the stuff, so I have to measure it carefully because I could sit down and eat a whole bucket of it, lol

If you buy some and it turns out you don't like it, there are all kinds of recipes you can use it in where you won't taste it much.
  • jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese + fresh pineapple = delicious :)
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options

That's how I eat it too. I don't eat it too often anymore because it's high in sodium.
  • munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Had cottage cheese again for the first time in YEARS.

*like*

It's a bit salty for my liking, but really good on a toasted sandwich (if you can't handle the texture).
  • eviltwinkie
    Options
    mmm... wonderful with true lemon, some stevia, some frozen blueberries. Love it for breakfast. I've also tossed some in home made chili / taco soup. Hey, it's a cheese...