Birthday Cake

Options
Okay, so my daughers birthday is going to be in Feb. I typically have always just gone to the store and bought a cake from the bakery. Now that I am on this health kick I was wondering if there was any fun kids cakes to make that are healthy?

I was planning on getting her a disney Princess cake.

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    For the love of God, just get the kids a regular cake
  • TJtastic
    TJtastic Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    LOL @ Rock
  • meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    u can bake a cake all you need is

1 can of diet pop
    1 box of cake mix

bake how it says on the box.

example is diet sprite and yellow cake or diet coke and devils food. :flowerforyou:
  • seehawkmomma
    Options

lol I know but shes on this kick with me now too!!!

The thought of buying a whole big cake which will leave left overs.....ugh sounds like a fat girls dream.

I'd probably eat the left overs in the middle of the night....
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options

I <3 you Rock.

To the OP, Cake is not bad, food is not bad, it all comes down to your relationship with food. Is it your Master? It is more important to teach kids moderation in the world we live in. Not always going to be "healthy" cake, whatever that is, around. I have five kids they all eat cake and they are all healthy in fact some would say too skinny! Just my 2 cents:smile:
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

lol I know but shes on this kick with me now too!!!

The thought of buying a whole big cake which will leave left overs.....ugh sounds like a fat girls dream.

I'd probably eat the left overs in the middle of the night....

There's nothing unhealthy about eating cake
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I make the BEST cakes.... just thought I'd tell ya. :wink: I have some delicious yummy awesome homemade buttercream in my fridge as we speak... just dying to be slathered and decorated onto some cupcakes or a cake.
  • laurenkoszola
    laurenkoszola Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I was told by a coworker that if you use apple sauce instead of the oil and egg whites instead of the eggs that is a healthier alternative and tastes the same!
    Options
    Google low calorie cakes, here are two that came up. I would like the lemon one! Disclaimer - I have never tried these

This cake is perfect for birthday parties and can even be made into cupcakes! With its healthy ingredients, it has many less calories than most of the cakes that you may find yourself faced with.

Red Earthquake Cake Recipe

1 cup of all purpose flour
    1 cup of Splenda
    1/3 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
    1 teaspoon of baking powder
    3/4 cup of skim milk
    1/4 cup of vegetable oil
    1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
    1 whole egg + 1 egg white

Separate dry ingredients in one bowl and wet in the other. Then combine them, mixing for a few minutes. Bake at a temperature of 350 for about thirty minutes. Make sure that the cake is tasted for doneness before you finally take it out of the oven

These lemon soda cupcakes are actually a lot healthier than they sound! What do you need? Not much! This is a quick alternative to making complicated cupcakes. You simply have to follow a few steps!

Lemon Soda Cupcake Recipe

1 can Diet Seven Up
    1 Lemon Cake mix

Simply mix your two ingredients and bake according to the lemon cake mix box. Should make 24 servings with only about 88 calories without icing.

The above recipe is quick, easy, and also great for potlucks and bake sales! It may even entice Paula Dean or Martha Stewart, and it’s definitely worth a try if you like lemon!
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Whatever you make, make cupcakes, so that you can easily send the extras to other people's homes. ;)
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    Whatever you make, make cupcakes, so that you can easily send the extras to other people's homes. ;)

Thanks! Thats actually a really great idea
  • kw2s
    kw2s Posts: 16
    Options
    Bake a cake( or cupcakes!) at home, so you can control what goes in there. Try using half whole wheat pastry flour with half All Purpose. Using real ingredients, instead of the stuff in the box. If you check out thekitchn.com the have some great and easy cake recipes!
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    play a joke on her and the guests. do a spiel about your weight loss kick and eating healthy, etc. then bring out the celery or something with candles stuck in it. when she starts crying, bring out the cake...
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    play a joke on her and the guests. do a spiel about your weight loss kick and eating healthy, etc. then bring out the celery or something with candles stuck in it. when she starts crying, bring out the cake...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Get the kid a real cake. One peice is not going to kill you or them. Let them enjoy their birthday. This is all part of living a healthy LIFESTYLE and not a DIET.
  • KMiche82
    KMiche82 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Please get a normal birthday cake you do not have to eat if you do not want to, we are trying to change our lifestyles in eating not dieting. If you have pieces left over send them home with the birthday party guest and if you choose to eat the cake you can have some in moderation a small piece just make sure you count the calories for the day.
  • jenn_is_trouble
    Options
    We have a birthday celebration each month at my work for everyone that has a birthday in that month. I try to get the smallest piece I can with the least amount of frosting on it (like a middle piece). The times I've passed on cake, people look at me like I'm a freak, so I just go for it. I don't want to offend anyone either if I don't eat what they spent time (and money) on.

I like the cupcake idea. We had cupcakes at my wedding instead of a huge expensive cake. It was so nice to have that portion control too!
  • kmhallett
    kmhallett Posts: 98 Member
    Options

Agreed! Just because your on a diet doesn't mean the kids should have to suffer. BUT if you must use a regular cake mix and make it yourself. Instead of the heavy frosting purchase a tub of whipped cream and a package of instant pudding mix. Mix the powder in the whipped cream and its still tasty but not so sweet and sugary.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options

Agreed! Just because your on a diet doesn't mean the kids should have to suffer.

I dont think its "suffering" to cut out a birthday cake. Its not a diet. Its a life style change which she is apart of.

She loves the new health kick as much as me. Bring on the fruits and veggies she absolutely loves it.

I only posted because I wanted to know if there was any alternatives to the store bought cake filled with sugar.

A birthday shouldnt be all about the cake but I want her to enjoy her day. If it means settling for a store bought than I will, I just wanted to see about the other options.

On that note, due to our life style change neither one of get a lot of sugar anymore.....I can see her getting a sugar high from eatting cake.....
  • KarenShannon
    Options
    Did you ask your daughter what she wanted? Cupcakes are a great idea. Make them yourself. If your worried about leftovers just make as many as you need. Also, what about going to get frozen yogurt? You can celebrate her birthday in many ways! Just being with her is the best birthday you can give her !