Is there ANY topic that hasn't been covered on these boards?

Options
When I glance to the right there, every topic I see has been repeated many times. It's fine by me to revisit an area of interest to people, but I'm just curious... is there anything fitness/nutrition related that has not been discussed A LOT?

I actually have no problem that folks write in about HRMs or whether you should eat back exercise calories or whether strength training is OK for women (hellz ya), but I'd also love to hear something new.

Anyone?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    When you have been here for a while it gets frustrating, but then you realize NEW people join everyday. We have to remember how many questions we had in the beginning and how exciting it was.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Yes, completely agreed. I actually don't want to dissuade those fundamental questions at all. Bring em!

I was just tossing out a query to see if anyone who has been here a while had some burning issue/ unique idea / new epiphany etc that they wanted to share, too. Just to mix it up.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I post most of my questions as statuses rather than a topic. Usually the only people who answer are the people who are already on my friends list xD
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    How about "Quinoa--it looks like the stuff that comes out of the corner of your eye...."
  • behind_blue_eyes_83
    Options
    The questions is....has THIS question been asked before?

http://caseelse.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/recursionagain.jpg
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have shin splints in my forearms and I didn't find a thread about it. I ended up Googling it instead.
  • grapenutSF
    Options
    I post most of my questions as statuses rather than a topic. Usually the only people who answer are the people who are already on my friends list xD

Ha! Good point. Supported by the data of this thread. Thanks, friends! :flowerforyou:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    What I think is interesting is how little many of us knew about the metabolism and how our body works. My mother owned a health food store and I was raised a vegetarian, but I never knew or cared about any of this.

I didn't know about calories, I knew about nutrients like vitamins, minerals, preservatives...but calories? Whatever. I never knew that the food one eats is converted to energy or that a gram of carb is 4 calories, 1 gram of protein is 4 calories, but 1 gram of fat is 9 calories! I didn't know that ones muscles atrophy if not used. I didn't know that fat cells never go poof, they just shrink away as we lose their contents. I didn't know that it takes a long time to build muscle. I didn't know that too much salt will cause me to retain water. I didn't know that muscle tissue burns more energy than a fat cell. I didn't know that fiber slows down the conversion of carbohydrates to energy. I didn't know that one's body burns calories faster for an extended period of time after a good cardio workout. I didn't know that lack of sleep can inhibit weight loss. SO much I didn't know when I joined MFP. I wouldn't have even known what to ask or search for without someone asking and those who DO know, giving intelligent, fact-based answers.

So I try to help out the next noob who stumbles onto MFP, wanting to get fit and healthy and slimmer :flowerforyou:
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have not seen any heart rate monitor threads :happy:
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I have not seen any heart rate monitor threads :happy:

REALLY?

Well, judging by your post count, you must not spend a lot of time on the boards...cuz there are like ten a day...lol
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Nobody has mentioned the hcg diet in a long time...at least 5 minutes.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Yeah I haven't seen a thread on how one can Catch Rainbow Brites horse Starlite. Seriously I need to ride on rainbows cuz there be some pots of gold at the end of those suckers.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Why men are better than women= we have a penis
    Why women control men= they have a vagina

I haven't seen this topic yet.
  • LJV1031
    LJV1031 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Hard to find new topics here.

Oh, and I THINK he was joking, Robin. :wink: :smile:
  • grapenutSF
    Options
    On a related note, would the number of responses to the beloved "RATE THE PERSON ABOVE YOU" outnumber the responses to all actual fitness-related posts altogether? I'm not judging --yesterday I answered "what are you wearing on your feet right now?", so I wouldn't dare-- but I'm curious.
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Hard to find new topics here.

Oh, and I THINK he was joking, Robin. :wink: :smile:

I was.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Most stuff has been covered.. Problem is there isn't a good faq and the search engine on this site is severely lacking. This the repeats.
  • Alexa712
    Alexa712 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Why men are better than women= we have a penis
    Why women control men= they have a vagina

I haven't seen this topic yet.

HAHA So true
  • brk_1982
    brk_1982 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    How about "Quinoa--it looks like the stuff that comes out of the corner of your eye...."

OMG. Quinoa was an acquired taste for me to start with, but that statement might set me back...to not liking it at all.:laugh:
  • jsteffen80
    Options
    there are lots of duplicate topics... but that comes with the territory of having so many members.

What's more annoying to me are the people that make a topic, don't get the answer they want, and make the exact same topic the next day. :)