Hard-boiled Eggs

Options
How long can you safely store these in the fridge after you've hard-boiled them? I went a little overboard at the store. They had their eggs on sale for 50 cents for a dozen, and I bought 8 dozen. Any help is appreciated! :happy:

Replies

• JG1807
    JG1807 Posts: 40
    Options
    If you keep the shell on they will be ok for about a week.
  • SlimDownDani
    Options
    A week for hard boiled - however raw can be kept longer. So maybe hard-boil only a dozen at a time.
  • Laurelje
    Laurelje Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    WOW - 8 dozen??? :noway:
  • Candida1983
    Options
    WOW - 8 dozen??? :noway:

Yes lol, I was in late holiday baking mode for my extended family and I thought that I would use them all. I've only gotten through about a dozen so far. I went wayyyyy overboard with the eggs!! Maybe I should be asking for egg recipes instead of how long you can keep hard boiled eggs stored in the fridge lol. :tongue:
  • dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    If you know of neighbors or family that could use help, give them some eggs. It would be better to give some away then have to throw them away later.
  • elly_bean83
    elly_bean83 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    make some crustless quiches....load them with tons of veggies! make them in the aluminum pie pans and freeze them. Then you'd have a stock of quick easy meals you can just take out of the freezer and throw in the oven!
  • pizzanut
    Options
    you could pickle them!
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Don't cook them yet. You will find that the ones you boil 2 weeks from now will be better than the ones you boil today. Fresh eggs are hard to peel because insides fill the egg and stay connected to the membrane. As they sit, the insides will shrink a little, pulling them away from the shell and membrane and they will be a breeze to peel. I would boil the first dozen today and see how long you can go with them. The closer to 'sell by' date, the better they will be....within reason.
  • floshideaway
    floshideaway Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    uncooked your eggs will keep for a few weeks, but if you cook them the shell becomes porous and will not stay "fresh" more than a week. I have kept uncooked eggs for more than a month with no problem.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    If you get close to the "use by" date you can freeze some of the RAW eggs out of the shell. You can either crack them into a bowl and slightly beat them (just to break up the yolk) and put them in a container to freeze, or you can crack them into an ice cube tray individually, freeze and put in a zip lock bag. I usually do the ice cube method so I know how many eggs I am thawing. Either way, you take them out of the freezer a couple days in advance and let them thaw in the fridge. Cooking and then freezing gives you rubbery watery eggs.

I have accidentally froze eggs in the shell.....the shell cracks so you can't boil them, but the egg inside is fine.
  • kkm2605
    kkm2605 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am jealous that you got eggs for 50 cents!!! They are over $3.00 a dozen in Montreal.