Five Finger Shoes

Options
I have been thinking about getting a pair of those Five Finger shoes for running on my treadmill.

Has anyone used them and if so, have you noticed a difference in your running or back pain?

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    It depends on why you have back pain.

If you are a heel striker, then you are going to have issues with running in them. You need to have a mid foot or fore foot strike to run in them. Without aches and pains.

I have a pair. I am a heel striker. I couldn't switch my foot strike. I don't run in them now.
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Bump...

I want to know opinions also.
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I recently bought some!! They're amazing for running outside. I have run with them on the tredmill a couple times now and my calves kill afterwards. I think when I'm running outside I strike more on the ball of my foot, but when I'm on the tred I strike more with my heel.
    Also, they take a couple weeks to get used to simply cuz we're not used to running basicslly barefoot. So if you do buy some I would start with just wearing them for everyday stuff for a bit before you try running in them.
  • RosalindaP
    RosalindaP Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    OOOO good one...I am curious too!
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I loved mine. They helped a lot with my knee and back pain, because they change the way your foot hits the ground - as therealangd said, they help you switch from hitting the ground heel first to hitting it mid-foot. They were the only shoes I was able to run in.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Virbrams. I love them, but not for the treadmill. Great for outdoor running and mud runs. :)
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    i can't run, but my son does and he has those shoes. He runs flat footed so they work well for him. He uses them every day and really likes them. He has also run marathons in them without any issues.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have some. I can't see how they would help back pain. I run in them in the summer when it's dry, but not at this time of year, and only off road. I did a 7km run inroad and gave myself knee pain. They are great for walking in, though.
  • melisssaarielle
    melisssaarielle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely a heal striker when I walk but I've been trying to work on that and walk on the balls of my feet. I haven't really paid much attention to how I run but I would imagine it would be the same as my walking.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I just run on my treadmill at home barefoot (might be gross at the gym, but wtih socks it's OK) and that seems to do it for me. I don't need to spend money on some extra foot gloves. It totally works my legs harder, especially the calves. I think I have more a mid foot stride.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I bought a pair of the Fila Skeletoes, I'm only using them to workout. I am more of a forefoot striker when I run, but just by jogging around a little in my Fila's I didn't like the pull on my achilles (they aren't made for running, just wanted to check them out with a short, light jog before investing in the Vibrams) so I'll stick with the regular running shoes.
  • NikkiConroy
    Options
    LOVE MINE...I've had them for almost two years. Do yourself a favor (your body will thank you!) and start SLOWLY. You need to strengthen tendons, muscles and ligaments in your foot that are weakened from lack of use. They are great!
  • MummyHungry
    MummyHungry Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I love mine; I have two pairs, one for the treadmill and one with thicker soles for outside. I've always walked and run on the balls of my feet, so they were perfect for me with no real adjustment period needed.

I would recommend trying them on in a brick-and-mortar store before deciding to purchase. Because of the variety of foot shapes, they are very difficult to size without trying on. The store I bought my first pair from let me try on a few pairs, and then once I found my size in the style I liked, they allowed me to walk, jog, and irish dance around the store for 15 minutes before I decided to buy them.

Good luck!
  • goodstarbuck
    Options
    I've had them for six months. They are great for trails, but not so much for treadmills. I'd consider, especially if this is your first 'barefoot' style shoe, getting a pair of Merrell trail gloves or something along those lines. I've had a pair of them since this past July and now exclusively run in them on the treadmill, on roads and on trails.

The disclaimer to this whole thing is: if you are a heel striker, you are going to have to invest time in changing your running stance to become a midfoot runner. Forefoot and heel striking are no good in these shoes, it'll do more damage than good.

The other disclaimer, if everything so far hasn't deterred you, is that you need to spend time adjusting to running in them as well. You can't just throw them on and run ten miles, you have to let the muscles in your legs get used to you using them (and adjusting your running style as above), both things take time and perseverance.

*Note* Since I've started running in barefoot style shoes and adjusted my running style, my injury rate has plummeted. No knee, foot or back issues at all. Your mileage may very, though.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    LOVE MINE...I've had them for almost two years. Do yourself a favor (your body will thank you!) and start SLOWLY. You need to strengthen tendons, muscles and ligaments in your foot that are weakened from lack of use. They are great!

Yes! I have a funky shaped pinky toe and couldnt get comfrotable in 5 fingers. So I got Merrell Pace Gloves. They are "barefoot" technology shoes and sole is made my fivefingers. Plus they aren't butt ugly LOL!

I am heel striker trying to get back into running after an injury and trying to be a midfoot striker.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Just a side note.... I think they are kind of strange looking and kind of creep me out a little, I'm not sure why. Kind of llike I'm not sure why I'm scared of crickets.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I have not been able to use mine on the treadmill. One of my feet is a bit bigger than the other and I have constant irritation on the heal of the smaller foot. They are great for doing work out videos though! I would also suggest any type of neutral foot bed, low profile shoe. I have a pair of Saucony Shadows that are awesome!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Just a side note.... I think they are kind of strange looking and kind of creep me out a little, I'm not sure why. Kind of llike I'm not sure why I'm scared of crickets.

Because they make your toes look like tentacles!
  • ambarsch
    ambarsch Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    YES!!! I love my Five Fingers!

I've been running for years, have done a marathon and multiple half marathons. I always had low back pain, particularly if I was logging 10+ miles in a day. I decided to enlist a running coach to help me be more efficient. I was scrutinized for my poor running form!! I was told that my leaning backwards and hard heel strike were likely causing all of my low back pain and shin splints.

I did a bunch of online research and attended a 'barefoot running' seminar shortly after getting the running coach's advice. I was convinced that I needed to get myself into a minimalist running shoe. I had already been running in Injinji socks, and because I was used to have fabric between my toes (they're great for preventing blisters!) I decided to purchase a pair of Komodo Sports within one week of that seminar. Today, I do everything in my FiveFingers. Honestly, I have a really hard time running, lifting weights or doing any other workout in 'regular' running shoes! The only time I wear my old shoes is if I'm running outside when it's wet or below 40 degrees. Winters in WI is a little too extreme for me with FiveFingers. :)

* Note, I have no more back or shin pain, and my hips and glutes are much stronger.

Be warned, that you need to start slow with FiveFingers, or any other minimalist running shoe. If you're naturally a heel-striker, your calves will be sore until you completely and effectively change your running form. Minimalist shoes force you to lift your knees higher, making you a mid-foot striker by default. Best of luck to you!
  • melisssaarielle
    melisssaarielle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I will invest in a pair. I'm glad to have all this information before buying some becasue if I didn't I'm sure I would totally give up without giving them a chance. it's good to know it will take time to get used to them.

However, if they don't work out for me on the treadmill, I live in the mountains so I have the option of using them for all the hiking I plan on doing this summer.