An Egg A Day

Options
Or most days of the week! Does anyone know if it is okay health wise to eat an egg a day? I have heard conflicting reports about cholesterol and fat. I eat the whole egg. Not a fan of just egg whites! I find it keeps me full all morning until lunch. Thanks!

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    As far as fat goes, one large egg has about 5 grams, so no danger there.

On the cholesterol issue, dietary cholesterol does not effect your serum cholesterol, unless you have a medical issue with being more sensitive to dietary cholesterol. It's not an issue for most people to worry about.

Edit: And eggs are loaded with vitamins and minerals.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,024 Member
    Options

On the cholesterol issue, dietary cholesterol does not effect your serum cholesterol, unless you have a medical issue with being more sensitive to dietary cholesterol. It's not an issue for most people to worry about.

Just to add. While dietary cholesterol has little effect on our serrum levels (the body just produces less or more to compensate) the lipid profile of eggs do effect our HDL and LDL in a positive way for both, and this includes hyperresponders of dietary cholesterol. The particle size of those HDL and LDL does a shift to a larger size, which is less atherogenic or basically, more protective.
  • craig21037
    Options
    I've been eating 2 fried eggs (in whole butter) and 2 hard boiled eggs most every day for the past year. Lost 42 pounds and reached my goal of 185 in about 6 months (the picture is not really me...but the car is lol). My lipid panel readings were originally borderline high on the LDL and mid-20s for the HDL with sky rocketed Trigs. Was also pre-diabetic. After 6 mos. of healthy diet including the eggs, my LDL and Triglyceride numbers went way down into the dir and HDL went up over 60. Doc took me off of ALL meds, including glucose meds. Eggs are a fantastic source of protein.

I'll add that they are free-range organic eggs, but I don't really belive that's necessary.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of eggs. My dad ate 3 eggs every day and lived to a ripe old age, even through the years when cholesterol was all scary and bad. His numbers from the doctor were always great.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It's fine.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It's fine. I eat 3-4 a day.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I eat 2-3 whole eggs a day...they are more filling than egg whites...and it has all that delicious fat!
  • SmallerBecky
    Options
    I'm a big, big fan of eating at LEAST one egg a day, but I usually have two or three. I make sure my two younger kids eat one a day each (my older kids won't touch them and I say that's their problem). I truly believe the three of us are in better moods and stay fuller longer when we have them in the morning. I discovered this when I was pregnant with my youngest four years ago. No eggs=crabby, tired, and hungry!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Most days I eat 2 eggs for breakfast. Occasionally I'll have something else, or sometimes I'll have more than 2 eggs. I find them very filling and good for my blood sugar. A 300 cal, 2 egg breakfast will last me 4 hours with no sugar drop. Pretty good for a hypoglycemic. I get regular blood work done for my thyroid, and sometimes Doc throws in cholesterol tests. I pass those with flying colors, even when I haven't fasted. As long as you don't have a cholesterol problem or an allergy and the eggs fit in with your eating plan, I don't see where it's a big deal.
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I've eaten one, two or more (upto 5 but not very often) eggs a day regularly for over 10 years! I love eggs! Never had a issue with cholesterol! My natropathic doctor told me she loved to see me eat two boiled eggs and two slices of wholegrain toast for breakfast and wished more people would because of the amount of protein I had to jumpstart my day!
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    ...I have heard conflicting reports...

You could almost stop there :)

And you will always hear that about anything food related. There are a lot of non-degree PHDs in nutrition out there who claim to have all the answers ... just be reasonable ... if your body reacts to food related cholesterol intake, keep it low ... if not, you're fine. Docs can help with that.

Funny you asked as I had a lot of eggs today! lol :) ... I'll go through many days without one, and then eat more some weeks ... whatever ... my grandma had to watch her cholesterol and ate an egg a day ... she pass away eventually ... at 90 from breast cancer ... guessing it wasn't the eggs that did her in.

Anyway ... moderation ... moderation ... moderation ...
  • nre820
    nre820 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I agree... eggs are fine, as long as you aren't drowning them in butter, or mayo... I eat at least 1 egg almost everyday... pretty much the only breakfast that lasts until lunchtime.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options

Just to add. While dietary cholesterol has little effect on our serrum levels (the body just produces less or more to compensate) the lipid profile of eggs do effect our HDL and LDL in a positive way for both, and this includes hyperresponders of dietary cholesterol. The particle size of those HDL and LDL does a shift to a larger size, which is less atherogenic or basically, more protective.

This and this. Eggs are usually fine for most people. Enjoy them!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I love them. Can't eat whole eggs because of High Cholesterol.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I agree... eggs are fine, as long as you aren't drowning them in butter, or mayo... I eat at least 1 egg almost everyday... pretty much the only breakfast that lasts until lunchtime.

Mmmmm .... egg salad sandwiches and deviled eggs! Yumm! ... bad ... but yumm! lol ...

I wish there would start to be "conflicting reports" that mayonnaise was really healthy for you and you needed a lot more of it in your diet ... so far that issue has been pretty quiet. ;)
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    3 eggs every morning for me. There's not a more filling breakfast out there, in my opinion. And they're awesome for the budget. $3 buys me breakfast for a whole week.
  • sunshinel397
    Options
    Thank you all for the wonderful advice! I will stick to my eggs, yolk and all!:smile: