Chinese Take Away.. WHAT TO GET!!! HELP!

Options
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering..

It's my friends birthday in a couple of weeks and she has booked a meal in a Chinese restaurant.

Any ideas what would be the best dish to get??

I was thinking white rice and something, but what!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! .. THANK YOU!! :flowerforyou:

S, x

Replies

• toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i think noodles in soup with some meat/veggie.. or maybe wonton.. try to avoid anything fried.. lots of oil
  • Nogo
    Nogo Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    The joint I order from has "steamed" options on a "Diet Menu". I'll let you know if I'm ever brave enough to try them.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Get the mixed veggies. Chow mein. Steamed rice.
  • Mommy2boys1girl
    Mommy2boys1girl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I really like the shrimp and broccoli. Ask them to use as little oil as possible. I try and skip the rice but have some egg drop soup. Hope this helps!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Hot and sour soup - my favourite!

If you have to order something from the main course section, boiled rice, not fried, and avoid anything in batter. And dont eat the full portion.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Miso soup is extremely low calorie. I know it is hard but stay away from the chow mein... noodles are ridiculously high in calories (it's depressing). And stay away from anything fried. Spring rolls usually aren't too bad.
  • shelleydavies1991
    shelleydavies1991 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Arhh thanks for your speedy replies everyone!!

I think I will go for soup and maybe steamed veggies for main!

What are your views on duck and pancakes? .. Do you think these would be low in cals? xxx
  • melaniemathis
    melaniemathis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My department orders Chinese every Friday...(horrible)...however I ordered today...I had steamed veggie stir fry...which is the veggies steamed (not cooked in oil) with stir fry sauce (generally about 25 calories for the sauce)...so good!!! This was my first time trying this, I ordered a small...and I feel super full...Good Luck!
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    i love chinese food so this question really helps me too:happy:
  • lcharity79
    lcharity79 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You mentioned white rice, but many Chinese restaurants are offering brown rice these days, and I highly suggest that! Rice itself is high calorie and high carb, but the brown has more flavor, texture, and nutritive value. I second the steamed options as well, as the oil used in their stir fry's is very hard to predict...flavorful, but oh so fattening!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I never get the rice. To me it is not worth it. I always get Hot and Sour soup and Chicken with vegetables. Just make sure the restaurant uses non-fried chicken for that dish.

Or workout extra hard that day and get whatever floats your boat.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'd work out hard and get whatever I wanted! Steamed veggies are a good bet. Hot and sour soup-YUM! Now I want some!
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    The joint I order from has "steamed" options on a "Diet Menu". I'll let you know if I'm ever brave enough to try them.
    I get mine like that with brown rice its still yummy
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Drink LOTS of water; chinese food is usually pretty high in sodium.
  • Paxnyokes
    Paxnyokes Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Brown rice and steamed veggies.
  • chuluotababe
    Options
    My go to meal is the hot and sour soup (I believe a cup is about 100 calories) and some steamed veggies. Always ask, they may serve steamed brown rice too. Yes, the sodium will be higher because it's Chinese food but you won't annilhate your calories and fat allowances. Just be sure to drink some extra water and maybe eat a banana in the morning.
  • jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Arhh thanks for your speedy replies everyone!!

I think I will go for soup and maybe steamed veggies for main!

What are your views on duck and pancakes? .. Do you think these would be low in cals? xxx

I would guess duck and pancakes to be pretty high calorie. Duck is quite fatty and pancakes are pancakes. This site:

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/calories/calorie_content/chinese_food.htm

says a typical order of crispy duck and 4 pancakes is 800 calories. They have estimates of a handful of mains that give you a pretty good idea of what to order. MFP has a few crispy duck and pancakes in the database and they all seem to say about the same. Is the menu available in advance? See what they have and plug it in to the database so you have at least a vague idea of what you'll be eating!
  • NerdyXX
    NerdyXX Posts: 28
    Options
    When I go to Panda Express (fast food type chinese place) I always get the Broccoli Beef which has less calories than the steamed plain rice! A lot of the time too, if you look up the restaurant online, they might have nutritional information so you can make your selection smartly ahead of time. :)