Relatively New Runner - What Should I Be Doing?

Options
TrefG
TrefG Posts: 112 Member
Hello all,

I hoped you good people might give a newbie a bit of advice regarding the treadmill.

I had been just walking up until a couple of weeks ago when one day I decided to try a jog - I was so pleased with myself that I have been going back to the gym every day since just to make sure I can still do it :laugh:

I'm male, around 275 lbs, 6ft 1in and just turned 30. At the moment I seem to be doing somekind of self-devised interval training - 2mins walking at 6kph followed by 2 min jogging at 12kph. I do this for about 20 mins by which tike I am soaked in sweat and exhausted.

I am now wondering if this is what I should be doing? 12kph seems pretty fast for my big wobbly frame :happy: and gets my heart rate up to around 160-170 (not sure if that is good, bad or irrelevant?).

I am also starting to have problems with very sore achilles after doing this?

I guess I am wondering if I should continue with this interval-type training or should I am for slower by longer runs at my weight?

Thanks

T
:happy:

Replies

• bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Have you considered trying the Couch to 5K (C25K) program? I haven't done it, but it seems that a lot of people have either already done it or are in the middle of doing it. It should give you a good, gradual increase in distance and speed to get you to the point where you can run a 5K.

I'm certainly no expert, but in general, you should work on very slowly increasing your distance, then work on speed after you have a bit of stamina built up. Your weekly increases in distance and/or speed should be <10% to avoid injury - a lot of new runners try to do too much, too soon and find themselves sidelined with an injury.

Now go sign up for your first 5K! :smile:
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend couch to 5k! I did the program both on the treadmill and outside! Google it or go to ACTIVE.COM for more info. It is a 9 week run/walk program that gets you running up to 30 minutes towards a 5K. When I started my weight loss journey, I was walking on the treadmill (21 minute mile).... and now I'm running in my 2nd 5K on Saturday! It is a great program because it starts you out slowly.

One of the biggest problems I've read about new runners is they go out and try to do too much, too fast. C25K, if followed correctly, will prevent that.

Regarding your injury... do you have a good pair of running shoes? When I first started running I had the same pain. I went to a specialty running store where they analyzed my feet, had me run on the treadmill for 5 minutes, and then they brought out some shoes to fit my feet perfectly. Best decision ever. The shoes I had were OK, but my current shoes are better fitted for me. Also, make sure you stretch before and after running. I find that if I don't stretch well after, I have more pain and stiffness.
  • oyev
    oyev Posts: 2
    Options
    Dear RNR,

Please remember to STRETCH slowly and gently before and after you run. Also gentle yoga is great for those sore tendons.

:smile: Oyve
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Dear RNR,

Please remember to STRETCH slowly and gently before and after you run. Also gentle yoga is great for those sore tendons.

:smile: Oyve

Don't stretch before you run. It can cause injury. A short warm up will loosen up your muscles enough. If you don't believe me, then ask a doctor and do a quick google search. However, stretching after is a good idea.

Interval training is the best way to learn how to run, and it helps burn more fat. :smile:

Do whatever pace feels good to you. If your heart rate gets too close to your maximum (220- your age, so 190) then you are doing to much. Otherwise just have fun with it!
  • TrefG
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys
  • TrefG
    Options
    So today I slowed my pace down a bit and did:

5 min walk 6.5kph
    10 min jog at 9kph
    5 min walk 6.5kph
    10 min jog at 9kph

Seemed to be ok jogging for a little longer at the lower pace. Was still pretty hot and sweaty but not as exhausted. Heart rate was around 150-160.