South Beach Diet?

Options
Hey everyone!
Was wondering if anyone has tried the South Beach Diet. What were the results? Did you lose the weight and successfully kept it off? Or did those pounds come crawling back?
Thanks!
Lexi

Replies

• GNBC
    GNBC Posts: 9
    Options
    I did it 4 years ago and lost over 20 lbs and have not gained those back (weighed around 200 and went down to 180 before I started adding serious exercise into my routine and dropped down to 161)...I found it works very well but it really depends on your body type. Carbs are my enemy no matter how "healthy" the carbs are but if you are not carb-sensitive you can probably lose weight without doing South Beach. It's a healthy way of eating once you are past week 2 so you can always try it and decide whether you're able to stick to it.
    I want to lose 20 more and have just started up with South Beach again (week 2).
    Good luck with your decision,
  • sippy78
    sippy78 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have never tried the South Beach Diet, but when you diet it is a life style change. So if you stop dieting you usually put the weight back on. But have heard it has work for a lot of people. Never hurts to try!
  • Yukisann
    Yukisann Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    Ive been in the south beach diet since August 2011 for medical reasons.
    As the comment stated, not every body type is the same and you should do whats right for you.
    I can only talk about my experience.
    Following the SBD concepts I dropped the first month aroun 20 lbs (Phase 1 x 2) and the other 20 were coming slowly but surely.
    Carbs and sugars are my worst enemy since I have diabetes and Pcos... (Polycystic ovarian syndrome) so things got very complicated.
    Now i am proud of myself for being at 180 from 220.
    I know it will take time, but dedication and a little bit of effort can make it.
    Hope this helps!
    All the best,
    Cintia
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I did the south beach to jump start my weight loss, 1st week I lost 4lb I down loaded the book, and I cook some of the recipes, I try and keep my carbs about 100, which is working for me, it been about 6 months. Body feels much better. Total weight loss about 10-12lbs. Im taking it very slow. I have about 6lbs to go
  • ♥Lexi♥
    Options
    thanks everyone!
    i've actually started it, and will be completing my first week of phase one tomorrow. i have the will power and know i can do this. my concern is that this is temporary and that i will gain it all back. the main reason why i wanted to try this diet is because i really want to trim down my midsection. i am at a healthy weight range, but i tend to lose in all areas except my mid section.
    hope this works.
  • LyonInLondon
    LyonInLondon Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I did Phase 1 of the SBD. Found it hard going at first, but then it was ok. I then went on holiday and gained all the weight that I had lost back. Having said that though, the concept of the "SBD" I think is very healthy. He advocates lean meats, lots of veggies and a major reduction in your sugar intake (including those in fruit), as well as a cut in refined carbs and how much you eat of them. What's not good about that?

In the book, he talks about it as a lifestyle change. And from seeing the way that my slim friends eat, it's pretty much what they do without thinking about it too hard. Personally, I think too many people get their 5-a-day from too much fruit. It should be majority vegetable. I also believe that carbohydrates are good - but only in their more raw or unrefined states, and in limited quantities.

Just a few thoughts. Read the book, depending on how much you have to lose, perhaps just do phase 2 onwards?
  • chuluotababe
    Options
    thanks everyone!
    i've actually started it, and will be completing my first week of phase one tomorrow. i have the will power and know i can do this. my concern is that this is temporary and that i will gain it all back. the main reason why i wanted to try this diet is because i really want to trim down my midsection. i am at a healthy weight range, but i tend to lose in all areas except my mid section.
    hope this works.

Everyone is different but this is my experience. A little background info - I'm 5'4", 31, female, sedentary accounting desk job. I started SBD on June 17, 2011 at 152.8 lbs and after 22 weeks I was 132.8 (one of those weeks included summer vacation at the beach and I did have a weekly splurge or two along the way). A bunch of stuff happened (several terminal family illnesses, two family deaths, the holidays, and year end) so I took at 7 week hiatus from exercising and journaling on MFP. I got back on track this week and this morning's weigh in (always on Friday mornings) showed only a 1 lb gain. Here I thought I had gained back at least half but I hadn't. Maybe I ate more to the SBD guidelines than I realized? Maybe it's really a lifestyle change? One thing I know for sure... I've never felt as good as I did about 10 weeks in to the eating/exercising plan. It's hard to explain but after cutting out the junk and trying to eat semi-clean... I felt amazing. Of course I think the biggest (and most important) indicator of my success will be my annual physical next month. I really believe SBD is the way to go. This is something you can do for life.
  • kmsbarnes
    Options
    My husband and I started South Beach on January 3, and to date we've both lost weight. I'm 5'2" and also have a sedentary job. I don't feel like I have a ton of energy back yet; I have noticed that I've felt more tired. We've just started on Phase 2 this week, and I am hoping with the addition of a grain/fruit a day for a while I'll gain some of that energy back.
  • babyee_girl
    Options
    my mom did sbd and lost all the weight she needed and she has been off of it for 2 years now and has only gained 8lbs but she eats what ever she wants. after i graduated i gained 60lbs from not swimming 12 times a week so i decided to go on it too. however, we have always done the sbd but in our own way. ive basically been doing phase 1 for 4 months now and ive lost about 40lbs. i took a week off the diet to jump start it and i didnt gain anything, and i did eat a lot of things that i shouldnt have. i havent tried phase two but i think since im starting the diet again that i may try phase two and see if i lose enough, or if i should stick to phase one for another month or so.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!