Headache after exercise?

Every once in a while, when I'm done doing a work out, I'll have this horrible headache that will last for hours. It's not like a migraine, but just a sensitivity to light, and I can't bend over to pick anything up because when I lean over a certain amount, it makes the headache throb. This doesn't happen all that often, and when it does, its usually after I've been running.

Does anyone know what causes the headache? And what I can do to prevent it?

I read online from the mayo clinic that if it's "one type" of the "exercise headache" that it can be controlled with a medication. But really, there has to be another way...!

Replies

• Jenene88
    Jenene88 Posts: 281 Member
    Drink more water. Ur body is dehydrated after running and you need water to sip on while doing it
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    It could be your central nervous system (CNS) being strained which is good, if you feel like passing out or pooping yourself its shock.
  • gymshoe42
    gymshoe42 Posts: 97 Member
    Most of the time it's dehydration ...i get the headaches if i don't constantly drink water during and after my workouts ...
    like pretty much I have to drink water constantly all day else my head will hurt.
  • I get this headache after working out too only mine makes my neck hurt so bad too. Yoga a couple times a week seems to help. And drinking a lot more water.
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Dehydration! Also if you're running over 60 minutes, you need to replenish with some electrolytes or energy gel/something of the sort
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    I was gonna say drink more water too!
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    i get headaches after racing. For me, it's lack of oxygen to the brain. When you push yourself to the limit, your body is struggling to keep up with the oxygen all your muscles need. I also find it is deyhdration, but usually it's from pushing really hard.
  • Make sure your are continually hydrated - before and after exercise. I tend to get headaches after working out when I'm not hydrated. I don't always realize I'm not hydrated enough before exercising, so I just have to make myself drink water continuously every day.
  • Emme727
    Emme727 Posts: 92 Member
    Water. water. water.

This would happen to me often. Now I drink a lot of water everyday and I can't remember the last time it happened. I carry a quart jar with me and make sure that I fill it frequently.
  • 2012x
    2012x Posts: 149 Member
    this happens to me ONLY when i exercise early in the morning.
    Why i cant get up 6am & workout, i NEED at least 1.5L of water in my body before exercising i drink 5-6L a day.