Am I REALLY supposed to eat my workout calories?

Options
amysol
amysol Posts: 83 Member
Really? I mean are you sure? To lose steadily and healthy? I have 18 lbs to lose by July 6th. It doesn't seem right. Does anyone know? Am I really supposed to eat the calories I burn in my work out on top of my regular calories for the day?

THANKS

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    please read..... there is SO much valuable info here-

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

the short answer is YES!
  • elle77
    elle77 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You know.....I really think it all depends on your own body. I actually loose weight better if I don't eat them. My sis has to eat her's or her body goes into starvation mode...fast! So, try not eating them...and if you don't loose weight, start eating them(or vice versa!). Just a thought :smile: I also have a really high calorie day once a week.....thats the best way for my body to loose weight; as long as it's only ONE day and not a few,hehe:wink::flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    You know.....I really think it all depends on your own body. I actually loose weight better if I don't eat them. My sis has to eat her's or her body goes into starvation mode...fast! So, try not eating them...and if you don't loose weight, start eating them(or vice versa!). Just a thought :smile: I also have a really high calorie day once a week.....thats the best way for my body to loose weight; as long as it's only ONE day and not a few,hehe:wink::flowerforyou:

yep, what she said:wink:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options

so basically, she does eat them, just not on the day she earns them........:huh:

EAT EM!!!!!!!
  • dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I tried both ways and I seem to lose faster if I eat most of them.
  • elle77
    elle77 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

so basically, she does eat them, just not on the day she earns them........:huh:

EAT EM!!!!!!!

If I were to eat all my "extra" cal's that I earned all week,in one day.......I would have to eat 4200-4900 cals ABOVE my recomended daily cals. I do NOT do that. When I said I have a high cal day ONCE a week...it's probably about 1700 cals TOTAL rather than my 1350.:wink:

So, I still say do what will work for you. I've had to learn over the years what works for me. I know exactly how my body works....unfortunately I sometimes go on a binge fest for mths!hehe:blushing:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    theoretically you will lose faster if you don't eat them because it's putting you at a higher deficit.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't eat them. Losing weight at a slow, healthy pace is important.

Eat them.
  • amysol
    amysol Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Wow, ok. I think I will try eating them first. Then go from there. I know that if I work out in the morning, I am SO HUNGRY all day and I eat them all for sure, maybe even plus 100. So, I wil try working out late afternoon, to keep from eating all my calories "earned" but I will eat most of them and go from there.

THANKS~!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    awesome! keep us posted!!:flowerforyou:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I was eating them until I started working out even more & now it's scary to eat 1000 extra calories. So I'm eating about half, but I'm at a standstill lately.
    Time will tell.
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Really? I mean are you sure? To lose steadily and healthy? I have 18 lbs to lose by July 6th. It doesn't seem right. Does anyone know? Am I really supposed to eat the calories I burn in my work out on top of my regular calories for the day?

THANKS

my hubby ate them for the first month, lost a whole 2 pounds, the he stopped and he's shed 15 pounds in the same amount of time...so you have to find what works for you.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    I was eating them until I started working out even more & now it's scary to eat 1000 extra calories. So I'm eating about half, but I'm at a standstill lately.
    Time will tell.

try eating them... your body needs fuel if you are burning 1000 extra calories a day.

think of this....if you were to go to the corner store, your car might use a fraction of a gallon, right?
    well what if you drove to Albuquerque? you'd need to fill up, right?

you body will NOT let go of it's reserves unless it feels it is safe to do so. that means you are fueling the demands you are placing on it.

if you exercise and undereat, your body thinks it must SLOOOOOWLY ration out the fat reserves it does have, in order to allow you to stay alive longer.

so.........

EAT UP!
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    ok
    :bigsmile:
    You talked me into it!
    :bigsmile:
    Thanks.
    :wink:
    I have to go get a snack.
    :drinker:
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I personally don't eat them but I already have a fairly high (1800) calorie diet and I only work out 1hr/day but I got this formula from a different website:

"After calculating the BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate), exercise is factored in. Depending on the exercise level chosen, the BMR will be multiplied by anything from 1.2 to 1.9.

This provides us with maintenance calories. To get the fat loss figure - 20% is subtracted. The extreme fat loss figure has 40% subtracted BUT - there is a "rock bottom" figure that equates to 8 calories per pound of body weight - the extreme fat loss will never be less than this amount. "

So, if when you signed up, you said your activity level was sedetary, according to this, you should eat between 60% and 80% of your exercise calories. If you incorporated you exercise into your activity level when you signed up, MFP already calculated it into your calories.
  • kendallalissa
    kendallalissa Posts: 249
    Options
    As you can see, I've lost 24 lbs. thanks to MFP. I ate my exercise cals (I've been in maintaining phase since like March and am still doing well). Some on here eat the exercise cals, while some do not. 9 times out of 10 the people on here report that they had more success when eating the exercise cals. Good luck with your goal! :laugh:

98575.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • kendallalissa
    kendallalissa Posts: 249
    Options
    Oh, just a reminder...load up on healthy foods if you have some "spare" cals to use up. Cheese, natural/low fat peanut butter, handful of nuts (almonds, walnuts), yogurt, carrot sticks, fruits, etc. It's not a free-for-all to binge on cake and icecream (although I'm guilty of this sometimes when I have spare cals). I have to indulge sometimes, right?!!

98575.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options

Me too - eat them!
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options

Me too - eat them!

Me too! Also, I started losing faster when I upped my calories from 1200 to 1400...PLUS I eat my exercise calories (or at least most of them).

I love this diet! Where else can you eat AND lose weight!! (lol, as you can tell, I was one of those people who never lost weight on a 700 cal a day diet).
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I don't get too slide-rulish about it. "Oooh, I have 12 calories left - get me a Grape!" :laugh:

I eat most of mine, sometimes a little over, most days somewhat under. I'm trending for 2lbs a week and doing fine.