Hypothyroid

Options
Hey guys...

For the past couple years I have been pretty constant with my workouts, and USUALLY eat pretty healthy (I am in university... so sometimes there's definite unhealthy choices haha)... the only thing is that even though I workout 4-6 times a week (cardio and strength at the gym) and I also walk to and from school (half hour each way) I don't seem to be losing any weight anymore. When I was 3 I had the majority of my thyroid removed and was told that I have hypothyroidism. Is it true that even though I exercise frequently and try to stay around 1200 calories that this could be why I am having a hard time? Last year at this time I weighed approx. 156 pounds and right now I am at 141, but have been at this weight for a while. I would like to be down to 130 but can't seem to do this! Any suggestions?

Replies

• qkidney
    qkidney Posts: 258
    Options
    Hi there!

Im hypo as well and I have been told that its quite easy for us to pack on the weight but can be very difficult to get off, even if we have reached appropriate levels with synthroid, etc. ... But Im not sure WHY this is... Its frustrating for sure.
  • KristenCassandra
    KristenCassandra Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It's definitely frustrating! I fractured my neck not once, but twice this year which obviously accredited to some of the laziness, haha. I just really don't want to be making excuses for myself so I would like to know if there's anything I can do about it or if it's just something to work past. I guess just keep trying..?
  • qkidney
    qkidney Posts: 258
    Options
    I had tried a lot of things in the past and eventually got lazy and gave up... Since I joined MFP (Jan 3rd) I have been keeping an eye on everything that I put into my mouth (which I wasn't doing before) and I've managed to lose 7 lbs so far. I am also doing the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred DVD (Only on day 4 so far).

The biggest thing by far for me has been watching my calorie intake and moving more!

Maybe check with your doctor ? They may have some suggestions or a reason behind your plateau?
  • KimmieSue2011
    KimmieSue2011 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am hyperthroid and was undiagnosed for a couple years. After diagnosis I got on anti thyroid medicine and gained 10 lbs that have been incredibly sticky. Which causes me to lose motivation -- ("If Im not going to lose the weight, why don't I just eat the dessert, because I don't really gain any more either." My MD said it was slowing my metabolism, like aging 10 or 15 years would and that I needed to figure out how to adjust to eating less. A week or so ago I re started on MFP with renewed motivation. Also I hired a personal trainer and am going twice a week for weght lifting training. I was and am good about lots of cardio (swim, bike and run) but was not so good about weights. So I am hoping the combination will help. Good luck.
  • surfyre
    surfyre Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been hypothyroid since being in my teens. Runs in my family on both sides. I am on a combination of Synthroid and Armour thyroid. My doctor started me on this combination a few years ago and I have never felt better! My hair and nails started growing, my skin looks better than ever and I also started to lose weight at a more normal rate. Something to consider asking your doctor about.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I am PCOS, Diabetic, Hypo-Thyroid and suffer from Adrenal Gland Fatigue.

I adopted the Paleo lifestyle and the weight is coming off. Before I had noticeable weightloss though, my body underwent a major healing endeavor and I am off all medications, including Thyroid meds.

I started off on Synthroid and Cytomel and found that Synthroid is a T4 medication and it doesn't really treat the source of the issue. That is why Cytomel was used because it is a T3 medication.

Then I found a natural doctor and she transferred me over to Armour Thyroid which is actually ground up thyroid gland so you are getting everything.

I started researching Coconut oil and how it helps to heal the thyroid and helps with Diabetes control also. I have been able to reverse both conditions now and I am completely off medications.
  • KristenCassandra
    KristenCassandra Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! Looks like I definitely should talk to my doctor more about it - I wonder if because I am technically at a healthy weight for my height that maybe he didn't think it was a huge issue last time I brought it up. I've heard about natural doctors as well and will check into that too!
  • swiftfox82
    Options
    i have been hypothyroid since puberty and i have researched throughly and so have my parents since it runs very deep in my fam. I am on Nature Thyroid which is as good as armor thyroid anything else is garbage ( docs have given me the other ones before and they only worked for a time and only on the weight part). Most docs wont put you on Armour or nature thyroid because they don't really put the time in to learn about and if they don't know about it it can't actually be right?...right? lol In highschool i hardly ate anything and still i gained weight and tired all the time. I encourage you to read up on it there is way too much to know and i can't write it all down here. Truth is the thyroid gland affects everything in your body so the side effects are pages long. I have no choice but to be an expert on it since that is the only way i can manage it. I go to a speacial hormone doctor that only takes on the really severe cases so i have to be on point about everything im doing.
    like; only use floride free toothpaste,( since floride is bad and actually it really shouldn't be in toothpaste in the first place, in Europe and Japan it is banned) , go natural or organic as much as possible( since fake foods help cause the problem), Use all natural sea salts often or colored salts ( lack of real salt is another reason people get this problem or get goiters), use lavendar scented things ( the lavendar aroma is said to be beneficial for people with thyroid problems), the list goes on and on.
    It sounds like to me that you don't suffer from extreme hypothyroid but it will only get worse if you don't pay attention to it..personally docs have only screwed me up lol. My mom had hers taken out then her sex glands and now her adrenals are on their last leg.... If one of those glands go out the strain on the others may put your other glands at risk..
  • swiftfox82
    Options
    yeah docs will try to put your thyroid out if you have hyperthyoid....which always leads to them taking it out my advise don't trust the doc that went to their fancy med school only to spend like a couple of hours on nutrition. Of course im bias against doctors since they are so biased against vitamins and natural remedies. They best things to do is to go to people that also have your same condition and are doing well treating it the natural way. I went to a doctor at first when i was diagnosed and she had no clue what i was going through nor did she really care about curing me..all she cared about was doing what she was told to do told help the pharmacies get a permanent customer.. and that is how i feel about so called "doctors" most doctors average age they live to is 52 lower than the common populace. Why would you take medical advice from a doctor that prob wont live very long if they follow their own advice? If a doctor is very very old you can be sure they actually know what they are taking about....
  • swiftfox82
    Options
    most importantly you have to get a really good supply of iodine in your diet everyday cause iodine defficiency is the main culprit!