calories

Options
Should you eat all of the allotted daily calories? I have noticed that people seem to congratulate you when you eat less than your daily calories but I thought that is supposed to slow your metabolism. I'm confused about what to do. When I have eaten less than my daily calories, I will eat at the end of the day, even if I am not hungry. Please help!

Replies

• Gshields42
    Options
    Within reason, stay under your goal. If you are very overweight you can be a lot more flexible with how much under you should be, but the closer to goal weight the more finicky your body will be to undernourishment. 50 or 100 calories is probably a fairly safe range, depending on how close to goal you are.
  • ilikeher
    Options
    The most important thing is to listen to your body. If you aren't hungry you don't need to eat, but you should definitely still make sure that you have eaten a decent ammount of protein, fruits and vegetables every day. My Fitness Pal puts you on a diet when it allows you a certain number of calories. It goes by your weight, height, and how much you want to lose. If it allows you 1600 calories a day, then the number of calories that you are supposed to intake if you aren't trying to lose weight would be around 2000. Therefore, you should try to eat all 1600 calories if you can because you want your body to be nourished and not feel like it is starving. That is the same reason why if you are allowed 1600 and you burn 200 from working out, you should actually eat 1800. You want to re-eat the calories that you burn. It's a bit confusing at first but you will understand it after a while.

If you have any questions the people here are wonderful and will be happy to help you :)