Over 500 calorie sandwich ....

Options
2»

Replies

• seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I just had a baked bean and 97% free cheese sanga for lunch with a cuppa and 3 bubby biscuits....Total cals were 476 and it always fills me.....

I drain the sauce from the baked beans so the cals could be lower.....
  • alleyrat
    Options
    Not exactly a sandwich but my fav is Molenberg toast 2 slices (172 cals) with ricotta 25gms on (half on each) and a tiny blob of jam on each (5gms) Sorry cant recall the cals of the ricotta and jam - will come back with an edit. Nice low cal snack with protein in the ricotta. I dont buy lite because all those lite one taste rubbish.

edit - ricotta 25g = 11 calories
    1/2 tablespoon jam = 28 calories so the whole thing is 210 cals approx
  • biologic
    Options
    you can buy low carb wraps rather than bread and that should help cut down calories for sandwiches (wraps)
  • amberrrrh
    amberrrrh Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    45 calorie bread
    non fat mayo which is 10 calories for one tablespoon or mustard for 0.
    & sandwich meat is 25-30 a slice.

low calorie sandwich.

then add a side of something too and you have lunch.
    sometimes i do soup, or just some veggies on the side.
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Look for some whole grain wraps or pita instead. Lots under 150 calories
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    The sandwiches I serve at work are like 1000. LOL but so Delicious.

I'm a big fan of Flat Out Italian wraps. Only 120 for the Wrap and its got a ton of fibre which is what I need.
    Then Lettuce, Tomato, some Home made pesto and some fresh Cooked chicken Or turkey. is great and Not to bad in teh calories.! I always keep cooked chicken in my fridge. Schneiders Main street Meat is 45 Calories for 3 Slices which is great!
  • sweetseraph7
    Options
    Peanunt butter on celery and peanut butter toast are biggies that I eat because they're low in cal.
  • star7092
    Options
    Two slices of bread can really get you (easily 100-120/slice). Try the 100 calorie sandwich thins to help cut the calories and be careful with the condiments like mayo.
    I had chicken breast, hummus and salad. I will look for "100 calorie sandwich thins" but have never heard of them or seen them. Thanks

Actually just looked and does not look like it something you can get in NZ

Try Arnolds Sandwhich thins. Pretty good for sandwichs.:) :smile:
  • THEryanlindsay
    Options
    This may sound a little ridiculous, but several Grocery stores HERE (and I'm sure there's at least one there) are now selling a "hybrid lettuce", usually packaged in plastic bags, that you can use INSTEAD of bread.

Here, they're called CrispWraps, and it's basically a romaine/iceberg hybrid that produces HUGE leaves, so you can literally just toss whatever you were GOING to throw on the 'sammich into the middle, and fold it up like a taco OR, roll up for an easy, convenient handheld option!

/Should there BE no "hybrid", you can get away with LARGE romaine leaves, but rolling will pretty much be your only option.
    :)
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Look for a whole grain bread that is 150 cal/ 2 slices (We use Sara Lee original 100% whole wheat). Skip the mayo - use mustard instead, it has lots of flavor and essentially 0 cal. Look at different lunchmeats. We use those that are thin sliced ("deli-sliced") and generally don't use all of a serving. Add lettuce, cucumber, bell pepper, tomato, mushrooms, etc to add bulk and nutrients (and crunch) without a lot of calories. If you use cheese, slice it really thin, 1/2 oz could cover the sandwich and only be about 50 cal.
  • knk121
    knk121 Posts: 26
    Options
    How about something like Reduced Fat Wheat Thins, Babybel cheese, and some fruits and veggies? I also really like taking Jell-O pudding snacks, which are shelf-stable and not too many calories.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What was in your 500 cal sandwich?
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I have a pita and hummus loaded with veggies (no meat) many days a week. I have some sort of veggie, yogurt and fruit with that. My lunches are usually around 400 calories and really filling.

I'll also have a wrap with a slice of sandwich meat and LOTS of veggies, fruit and yogurt. Again, quite low calorie and filling.
  • Care563
    Care563 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My fav lunch is cooked and cooled quinoa mixed with tomatoes, cilantro, red pepper flakes, avocado and a little avocado oil. So good and really filling.
    I use a gluten free spelt bread the the slices are 78 calories or less and then no bloating from gluten.
    OR
    rice with sliced cucumber rolled in nori with peanut sauce
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I like to mix tuna with fat-free mayo and put it between two slices of lettuce.
  • amomatt
    amomatt Posts: 41
    Options
    Am in NZ too.

I use the Mountain bread wraps-which are about 70 cals for a big wrap

Or I use the vogels "really thin" which again is about 70 cals

Makes a huge difference and means you can put more "stuff" in your sammie/wrap!