Elliptical VS Treadmill

Options
In a half hour, I burn over 300 calories (according to the machine) on the elliptical, where it takes 40 minutes to barely burn 300 on the treadmill. However, I feel like I work so much harder on the treadmill so shouldn't it be the opposite? Granted, I do have the elliptical on full incline and full resistance and the treadmill never goes higher than 5.5, and that's when I run (Short legs :P) so that might be why.

But my question, if I dont have time for both, which is better? The elliptical burns more but I feel like I get a better work out from the treadmill (jogging/walking intervals).

Opinions?

Replies

• ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    are you using a hrm? one thing i realise since i got my hrm is that the ellipticals at my gym does over-estimate. whenever i do about 30 mins on the elliptical it is always saying about 100 calories more than what my hrm says. the treadmill is usually on par with my hrm, give or take a few calories.

so, basically if you are going off what the machine is saying and not using a hrm, dont be surprised if the treadmill is actually burning more calories. i know i burn more on the treadmill when i run (instead of walk) than i do on the elliptical.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I do have a HRM and find the elliptical burns more for me than the treadmill as well. I'm sure there are other people who can explain why but I feel I push harder on the elliptical and I'm incorporating my arms more than the treadmill. If you up the resistance on the elliptical you can get a great workout and still incorporate intervals - start with strides per minutes of 140 and then up to 180 for a minute or so, that's what I do.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Does it have to be one or the other? Why not mix it up and use the elliptical part of the time and the treadmill part of the time? You don't have to use both machines every day.
    Kaye
  • ChrisMarie1416452
    Options
    Elliptical is great for a high calorie workout and if you want to take it easy the treadmill is good too. As long as you keep moving either one is good. Have fun working out. :bigsmile:
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    My burn rate on an elliptical is about twice that of a treadmill. I think it is because I'm forced to stride longer and there is more resistance. I set the treadmill at an incline of 2.5, maybe 3.0. I do feeling it in my legs more after a treadmill walk/job, but the only resistance is my body weight. I feel the resistance constantly on an elliptical (and it is less jarring to my joints).
  • JethroXP
    JethroXP Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    In a half hour, I burn over 300 calories (according to the machine) on the elliptical, where it takes 40 minutes to barely burn 300 on the treadmill. However, I feel like I work so much harder on the treadmill so shouldn't it be the opposite? Granted, I do have the elliptical on full incline and full resistance and the treadmill never goes higher than 5.5, and that's when I run (Short legs :P) so that might be why.

But my question, if I dont have time for both, which is better? The elliptical burns more but I feel like I get a better work out from the treadmill (jogging/walking intervals).

Opinions?

I lost 75 pounds in six months by walking on a treadmill. Having said that, I only "discovered" the Elliptical after I hit my goal weight and wish I'd been using it all along for the exact reasons you noted, you burn more calories in less time and you do get a more complete workout, assuming you use one that has the moving handlebars. The neat thing about the Ellipical is that you are in fact doing more work than you would on a treadmill, but because of the gliding motion of the Elliptical vs. the pounding on a treadmill, you perceive that the effort is less. It really is a win-win. So unless you are using a treadmill specifically to train for a walking or running event, I'd recommend the Elliptical as a full on replacement for the treadmill.
  • timrap
    timrap Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My bodybugg shows that I actually burn more on the treadmill in 65 minutes than I do on the eliptical in 65. I was very surprised. I burn around 600 on the treadmill at 5.5 mph run and around 500 on the eliptical at a 10 resistance.
  • claire07bear
    Options
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

The link above is couch potato to 5K runner and how to begin running! Running is and will always be the best exercise, for fitness and for cardiovascular/respiratory health! Check it out! I usually start off on elliptical to get my HR up and then move to treadmill....
  • JethroXP
    JethroXP Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

The link above is couch potato to 5K runner and how to begin running! Running is and will always be the best exercise, for fitness and for cardiovascular/respiratory health! Check it out! I usually start off on elliptical to get my HR up and then move to treadmill....

I would agree, I'm not trying to imply that the Elliptical trumps running, however in my case I have an old knee injury, a torn ACL, so I can't take the pounding of running, which is why I only ever walked on a Treadmill. For me, The Elliptical is the best I can get, because I can move at running speeds but without the pounding. In my 65 minute workout today, the Elliptical says I traveled over 7 miles, that's about 75% faster than I was able to move on a treadmill because there is zero impact on my knee.