hypnosis

Options
Has anyone tried hypnosis to control their eating? I feel like I am doing so much right, but I still find myself grabbing "just" a handful of this or just a taste of that. I feel like I could do so much better if the cravings were GONE!!! Thoughts?

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    How do you know you're not hypnotized now? You could, at this moment, be nekkid doing the chicken dance on some stage in Las Vegas... and you would never know.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you make the serious decision to change your lifestyle, and really commit to it, it's effectively the same thing as hypnosis.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's necessary and that you should just change your foods to foods that leave you feeling full for longer, but I do know a lady who has been hypnotized to believe she has a gastric band. It works, but research the practitioner.
  • tamiesue2
    tamiesue2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I like the hypnosis, if only for the fact it gives me 15 minutes of total peaceful relaxation. It has worked for alot of people, it just depends on how susceptible you are. No matter what methods you try, it is still up to you to decide if you utilize the tools in front of you or not!! :)
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    You're getting very sleepy...
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I tried hypnosis for my compulsive internet use. It probably didn't work because the session was performed over skype.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried hypnosis to control their eating? I feel like I am doing so much right, but I still find myself grabbing "just" a handful of this or just a taste of that. I feel like I could do so much better if the cravings were GONE!!! Thoughts?
    That's crazy I've heard women tell me this at the bar. I just want a handful of this or a taste of that.........They're hypnotized!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    master_hand_hypnosis_gif_by_silverkazeninja-d3bwzmo.gif
  • suchick
    suchick Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have tried hypnosis. I did a series of sessions to help stop smoking, cut back on my drinking / eating and generally do behavioural modification for better health and fitness. I did 12 sessions over the course of 4 months at a place in Toronto called Positive Changes.

Here's the good news: it worked. I was skeptical I admit, and like many people had a very poor idea of exactly what hypnosis is / does. I was convinced I couldn't be put "under", as I have a very lively mind; find meditation difficult; strong willed etc. But it's not about that - it's about putting your brain into the hypnogogic state. Which is the super relaxed state you enter just before you drop off into first level of actual sleep. Your mind is more susceptible to new information and change in this state.

I also got recorded CD's of all my sessions (they were personalized for me) so at any time in the future, I can listen to them to get back on track. As part of my hypnosis, I was also required to listen to the CD's daily during the 4 months.

In addition to audio guiding the hypnosis process, the hypnotherapist puts on a goggle that emits a series of LED flashing lights that you can perceive, even with your eyes closed. The pattern of the lights helps you slip into the hypnotic state. And I have to say - that hypnotic state was one of the most peaceful, relaxing, amazing states of mind I've ever been in - I always came to at the end of an hour session feeling like I'd had the most restful full nights sleep.

Here's the bad news: it's not cheap. My 12 sessions cost $1,600 and this was back in 2009. Having said that, if you have habits you can't break on your own and need some help re-programming your behaviour, this might be the route.
  • cm62357
    cm62357 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Lots of interesting input...thank you, mostly!
  • electricstorm
    electricstorm Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I did hypnosis on the 25th Nov 2008 to give up smoking - it worked but i put in weight - i went back for weight and sadly it didnt but then it was £80 a session on a weekly basis so i didnt continue the full treatments but to give up the cigs it was an hour and a half .. and worked ... xx
  • trenley
    trenley Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Look up Andrew Johnson. He has hypnosis tapes, but they're more like meditation. He has tons of themes, including losing weight.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised at the negativeness !!

I had hypnosis 7 days ago for smoking and it has worked. It hasnt been easy breezy, but a lot easier than the last time I went cold turkey. Yes it's all in the mind, it's all psychological, who cares, as long as it works?

Go for it, what have you really got to lose??

x
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Let me start off by saying I mean no offense to anyone. If you,get offended anyway, well I put a disclaimer so there.
    I feel like for things that carry an honest addiction, like cigarettes, it can work if you choose that route. However, with food, that's just called taking the easy way out. If you (you being a general statement) really are that concerned with cravings, just live with them. If someone cant control their own selves around food, they are letting it control their life anyway and wont do very well in losing weight. That's just my opinion.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Go for it, what have you really got to lose??
    Money, perhaps.
  • cm62357
    cm62357 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Lots of food for thought...no offense taken...just much thinking to do!!!
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am a big believer in Hypnosis. I actually even delivered my last child with Hypnosis.How that happened was that I had bad migrains in the beginning, and my Dr.had me come in for the Hypno, as you aren't to have meds at that time.Anyhow,he then said i'd be a good candidate to deliver with Hypnosis.,so he just had me continue to come in .WHo Knew? ? He never charged me a cent extra.FANTASTIC.I have used it several times in my life,for various things,however wt loss never seemed to work well.Ha, once I went to a very well renowned Hypnotherapist who did. A split. Room/..smoking /weight.....I only lost 6#...but I quite smokig for 30 yrs..!!!!!.....he said that my desire for food was greater than my desire for cigarrets.Everyone is different, and as someone else said, get personal referenceses.I could go on about my experiencees,but...I wish you luck in finding the Tool that will help you stay focussed,( like everyone of us).Oh, one more thing,I feel it very important to have a Personal relationship somewhat, as opposed to Initial Tapes...Blessings & Peace:flowerforyou: