Is it bad to go over on Fiber?

Options
I always seem to go over on my Fiber and Protein, but stay under on my total caloric intake. Is this bad?

Replies

• jennywren1971
    jennywren1971 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think so. Fibre is good for your insides and helps you to feel fuller so you might not eat as much.
  • cba4994
    cba4994 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The high fiber intake would only be an issue if it starts to give you stomach upset/diarrhea or if you are on some kind of meds-it could affect the absorption. Too much protein would be an issue if you have decreased kidney function.:smile:
  • LorettaMC16
    LorettaMC16 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I am usually over on my fiber, and my protein is always so much higher. I didn't think it would be a problem, but I wanted some feedback on it too.
  • nutrition_nerd8
    Options
    it's only a bad thing if you notice an increase in bowel movements or are not drinking enough water. fiber can prevent you from absorbing some nutrients in the intestines because things are being moved out too fast. if you notice an increase in BM's or a change in consistancey, then you should cut back on the fiber for a while. but if you are eating a lot of protein, eating a lot of fiber is good because protein has a tendency to constipate.
  • LorettaMC16
    LorettaMC16 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
  • mogadad
    mogadad Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The medical community thinks 18 is the minimum and 25-30 is required for good health. Until I remember how to change my numbers, I just ignore it until it gets over 30
  • scooter262
    scooter262 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think part of the problem is the way the site calculates your fiber goal. On days when I do a vigorous workout and earn more calories that I can eat, my fiber goal goes up -- to 35 or even more grams.

My suggestion is that the Fiber goal be set to a constant level, and not based on how many calories you should eat on a given day. For example, you could set your fiber to the recommended amount of 25 grams per day (or choose a different number if you like), and then that goal stays constant, no matter how many or few calories you should eat that day.