does wine give you a belly?

Options
Im asking because i hear conflicting answers.... i never used to drink when i was in my early 20's (honestly!) and then i started drinking wine and spirits when i turned 26 on onwards and in the few years my stomach has turned from flat and toned to a flabby wobble.

i admit im not as fit as i used to be but was wondering if there was something in wine which makes a rounder belly?

i dont over indulge, i have about 4 glasses a week.... which to some isnt much but i am a lightweight.

Replies

• MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I know some really skinny and toned women who LOVE their wine, soz! :drinker:
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I love my wine... however I restrict it to weekends only - and then only a couple of glasses. I used to be able to drink lots more but as I'm going to the gym daily and not eating many carbs I find that's waaaay enough and I get tipsy a whole lot cheaper. As for the belly... I'm not sure. I generally put on weight over the past few years, so I can't specifically attribute it to wine - but I'm sure it didn't help matters!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I don't know. But I don't think so, not directly in and of itself. I drank all through my 20's and until November of last year. I was skinny all throughout my 20's, no belly. I started to gain around the age of 29. I don't think it was the wine, though drinking may have contributed to the overall gaining. I *do* know drinking alcohol can cause you to retain water and develop a "puffy" look, and I really hated that!
  • amy3cc
    amy3cc Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    LOL, everything can give you a belly if you have to much of it! :) I don't think wine in and of itself can give you a belly. Ultimately, calories in, calories out. Although obviously some calories are way better for your body than others. I love my wine. LOVE my wine. But it (and the rest of my food) likes to contribute to my rear and thighs, not so much my belly!
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Im asking because i hear conflicting answers.... i never used to drink when i was in my early 20's (honestly!) and then i started drinking wine and spirits when i turned 26 on onwards and in the few years my stomach has turned from flat and toned to a flabby wobble.

i admit im not as fit as i used to be but was wondering if there was something in wine which makes a rounder belly?

i dont over indulge, i have about 4 glasses a week.... which to some isnt much but i am a lightweight.

no - it is amazing how the combination of the following things can make a rounded belly though:
    - slightly reduced activity level
    - slightly increased calorie intake
    - you passed 25 and your metabolism is slightly lowered.