Fish

Options
beastmode_kitty
beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
Whats some really healthy ways to prepare fish? I know I should be eating it a lot more than I do. Ive always just used Shore Lunch, which isnt healthy at all.

Replies

• lisellzuniga
    lisellzuniga Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Way to go 27 lbs. Yay for you!!!!. How about fish tacos in a moderate proportion of course.
  • beastmode_kitty
    Options
    Way to go 27 lbs. Yay for you!!!!. How about fish tacos in a moderate proportion of course.

Thank you! Would I use the taco seasoning on them?
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I eat salmon at least once a week. I prepare it baked in foil wit some lemon, salt, and pepper. Another awesome salmon recipe is Salmon with Couscous Pilaf, it's really flavorful! http://www.food.com/recipe/baked-salmon-with-couscous-pilaf-112552

6 medium carrots
    1 cup uncooked couscous
    1/2 cup slivered almonds
    1/2 cup raisins
    1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    sea salt
    fresh ground pepper
    4 skinless salmon fillet, 7 ounces each
    lemon wedges

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
    Slice the carrots lengthwise and then in 1/8 inch diagonal sections.
    In a 9x13 inch baking pan, mix together the carrots, couscous, almonds, raisins, mint, oil, salt and pepper and 1 1/4 cups of water.
    Place the salmon fillets on top of this mixture and season generously with more salt and pepper.
    Cover the pan with a piece of aluminum foil.
    Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until fish is opaque.
    Transfer fish to plates.
    Fluff couscous with a fork and place next to salmon on plates.
    Serve with lemon wedges.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Grilled over open flame with salt/herb rub
  • MomOfRose
    MomOfRose Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have a rice cooker that has a steamer tray in it. I start my rice and then add the salmon into the steamer tray at the right time (brown and white cook different lengths). I might sprinkle a little dry seasonings on them (no salt added), but usually I just eat it as is.
  • beastmode_kitty
    Options
    What about for pickerel and stuff? I eat that more than salmon
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I wrap salmon fillets in foil and pop 'em in the oven at 350 for about 20-30 minutes. I sprinkle herbs all over the top... oregano is really good on it. There are tons of ways to make fish that are tasty, but this way is just so easy.
  • lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/healthy_tilapia_recipes#2

Eatingwell.com also lists calories and nutrients for each recipe when you click on it. I made a chicken taco from their site last week, and it was delicious!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I just always seem to go with butter, lemon & herbs. Simpler is better for fish, in my opinion. But I'm one of those who love the taste of fish and so I'm not trying to cover it up. Steaming and broiling is good. Butter & wine reductions are great.
  • opamike1
    Options
    Broiling works realy well for me. It's fast and easy. Just foil line your pan, spray a small rack ( I use a pizza pan and a cooling rack, no rocket science involved. YAY!) Brush with a marinade you like. (Experiment with store boughts. Some I like are balsamic vinigeret, or just Italian dressing.) You can dust with a seasoning mix if you like. (Again, try some different commercial mixes or make your own.) Then toss under the broiler for around 10 min or until firm. Just kepp an eye on it occasionally. You can make a low cal tartar suace from Greek yogurt and dill relish if you like also. :wink:
  • beastmode_kitty
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the tips guys. I will definately try one of these out this weekend!