Need suggestions for a protein for breakfast...

Options
I usually eat a vegetable egg white omlet and sometimes I do turkey sausage or turkey bacon, but I would think eating that a few times a week (turkey/bacon sausage) would be not so good, IDK? The sodium is one concern, so do you guys have any other suggestions to have for breakfast or is it okay to eat that quite often??

Replies

• juicymama08
    juicymama08 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    For me, Im Big on egg whites for breakfast too.....I also do fresh or frozen fruit smoothies and add some protein to it, but Im one of those people that can eat the same thing everyday for a month before I get tired of it tho! :ohwell:
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Chicken, eggs, and cheese with a little salsa is YUM. You can do real eggs, egg whites, egg beaters, whatev. Nice protein. :-)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    steak & eggs
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    real bacon, ham, lox, protein shake
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Leftover slices of almost any meat make a good addition to an omelet or served on the side with other breakfast items.

Since I can no longer eat my beloved greek yogurt I've taken to using a vegetable-based protein powder in smoothies and/or mixed into oatmeal. Sometimes meat is just too heavy feeling for me in the morning. And I can't eat eggs either. Picky body!
  • Legalchica
    Options
    cottage cheese!! I usually eat 2% only like 100 cals and 11 grams of protein per 1/2 cup
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    The incredible edible egg is quite possibly the world's best breakfast food :-) Keep eating them, though I prefer mine with some yellow in it!

Bacon & sausage have nitrates and junk like that added to it for preservation, some people are sensitive to those. I'm kind of wary of them... though i LOVE bacon and still eat it just not every day.

Greek yogurt & cottage cheese rank up there, after the egg!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese (higher in protein than Greek Yogurt)
    Greek Yogurt
    eggs,
    egg whites
    steak
    beacon
    ham
    sausage,
    smoothie
    shake
    etc.
  • nlewis22
    nlewis22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have 2 hard boiled eggs 5 days a week. It's 140 calories, low sodium and keeps me full until lunch. I also have coffee with it too, so very low carb all together.
  • MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    There are some companies that make nitrate free bacon and sausage. Look for those brands when you are shopping. Just as tasty as the other!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Miso soup with tofu
    Quinoa and blueberries
    Dessert tofu, fruit, and nuts

Pam
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    This week I'm sick so I'm down to jello and protein shakes. :grumble: But normally I eat bacon or sausage for breakfast every day & haven't noticed any negative side effects. I do try to buy low-sodium when I can.

Other good breakfasts:
    Plain greek yogurt or cottage cheese. If you don't like it plain, add some flavored protein powder or a half packet of Crystal Light.
    Low-carb protein powder shakes (for mornings, I like Syntrax Nectar's "fuzzy navel" flavor).
    Check out Atkins muffin-in-a-minute recipes. You make it in a coffee cup, just for one person. If you use flaxmeal or protein powder instead of regular flour, you get low-carb and higher-protein. Eat it alone or with peanut butter or sugar-free fruit spread.

Omelets: personally, I always use the whole egg, not egg whites (a lot of the protein & nutrients are in the yolk). There are hundreds of possible variations. Add different kinds of flavored cheeses, different lunchmeats, different veggies, spices, salsa, leftover hamburger, whatever's in the fridge.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • Shesabigstar
    Options
    I eat egg whites every day for breakfast w/ veggies mixed in, fat free shredded cheddar, and sometimes turkey bacon. Mix it all together and bake in muffin tins... they are SO good! I make a whole batch, separate them into servings (3 muffins), and just heat them for 30 seconds in the microwave on my way out the door in the morning. A different spin on eggs... nice to mix things up every once in a while.
  • nutrition_nerd8
    Options
    hard boiled eggs, the yolks are not bad and they offer healthy fats! try quinoa porridge, just like oatmeal only it has lots of protein. yogurt/fruit smoothies, protein shakes. dinner leftovers work well too! i'm not a sweet breakfast eater and really traditional breakfast foods weigh me down. i love a good ham sandwich for breakfast lol
  • thejackswild79
    Options
    Personally, I would skip the sausage and just enjoy the whole egg with some veggies and a touch of cheese. Low sodium, high in protein, delicious and perfectly filling. Other alternatives: Greek yogurt and fruit. And someone else already suggested Quinoa and berries. Delicious and nutritious.
  • cfergy
    cfergy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Those Atkins muffins sound interesting. Thanks for the tip. :smile: