Embarrased to Work Out!!!

Options
I know that this sounds pretty dumb, but whenever I am not alone at the house, say the kids or my boyfriend is here, I don't like to work out in front of them. I get really embarrased. I have no clue why that happens, but it does. He is off two days during the week, and I slack off then, well not on my eating, because he has to force me to eat, but is there anyway that I can get over this feeling?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sad: :sad: :sad:

Replies

• kmjgrant
    kmjgrant Posts: 80
    Options
    I know that this sounds pretty dumb, but whenever I am not alone at the house, say the kids or my boyfriend is here, I don't like to work out in front of them. I get really embarrased. I have no clue why that happens, but it does. He is off two days during the week, and I slack off then, well not on my eating, because he has to force me to eat, but is there anyway that I can get over this feeling?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sad: :sad: :sad:
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    oh honey. you know. I feel the same way though. Is there any way you can go into a closed room and do your exercise and then re-emerge to your boyfriend after you are done?
  • kmjgrant
    Options
    Sometimes my brain just isn't working!!! I thought of that a long time ago, and then it kind of just blew over. Thanks. Sometimes I am a real air head. LOL!!! Yeah, I could. :laugh:
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise when the kids are home b/c they are under my feet. I do it on the 3 days that I'm by myself. I do floor exercises at night while watching tv.
    I'm the same way you are on the weekends. I have plenty of time to do it, but just don't. I felt so guilty that I didn't do anything this weekend, that I forced myself to go out at 6:40pm on Sunday for a 20 minute walk. (and my shin splints are paying the price). But I felt so much better after I did it. Because all weekend I kept saying to myself, "I really should workout (and didn't) and I really should go for a walk (and didn't), then finally when my weekend was almost over, I just did it.
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    lol :tongue:

It is okay. You might have wanted to give yourself a reason to NOT work out and now here I came and took that away. hehehe

Enjoy your work outs and don't feel embarrassed. Soon you'll be flaunting your sexy body for your bf and it would have been so worth it. :wink:
  • kingon8
    kingon8 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I am the same way, I refuse to work out in front of my honey. i do the fit tiv exercies and the music is so dumb and he has never seen me doing sidesteps or kickbacks, and I just think he will alugh at me and that I wont be able to finish:embarassed: ! So stupid, 7 years w/him and I am that dumb! Last night he was taking a nap after work and I was doing a Leslie Sansoane video, and I thought I heard him coming down the steps and literally jumped over my 2 year old tripping over our coffee table to grab the remote and change the channel so he didnt know I was working out! He laughs he thinks I am silly, but maybe hell catch me one time and I wont care anymore?:tongue:
  • prettyinpink
    prettyinpink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I do have to say that I don't care where I work out!! haha My daughter (14 months) crawls and lays all over me and I think of it as resistance!! :oP My boyfriend knows that I am trying to get fit and lose weight so if it bothers him, he can go to another room!!

Suggestion: Ask your honey to help you with your exercises: hold your feet while doing sit-ups or do these things that I did when I was a cheerleader (way back when).. lay on your back on the ground. Have your honey stand with your shoulders laying at his toes, grab his ankles (for support) and then bring your legs straight up.. when they come up have him push them down and try not to let your feet touch the ground and bring them right back up.. continue that 3 reps of 10 and then work up from there. It will allow him to get involved and you will get a GREAT exercise at the same time!

Good luck and just remember that you are doing this for you!! Do not care what other people think of you... you don't see them doing it!!!
  • yenn
    yenn Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hey guys look stupider working out and they don't feel dumb. And do you listen to them grunt and groan and make a big deal out of it when they're lifting weights? So they probably don't think you look dumb either. Anyway if they laugh at us and we keep it up, they won't be laughing for long !!
  • kmjgrant
    Options
    Thanks Guys... You all have been a great help!!!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise infront of my hubbz.
    I've tried to exercise with my girls being around but they get in the way and my little one just wants all of my attention so that's a no-can-do.

So, what I do is ask hubbz to watch my 2 y/o (my 7 y/o is in school) so I can do some type of workout.
    Try to have a workout schedule and let your bf/hubby know.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • krnelso
    krnelso Posts: 21
    Options
    I agree with dulceluva. I've only been living with my fiance for 6 months now & I'm incredibly self conscious. He's been my best friend for almost 6 years & I'm more frustrated with him seeing me workout. However, we work opposite schedules & I got into a routine of working out since he wasn't home. Now every so often he's home & I feel like crap for not working out. So I told him, I'm gonna take my 20-30-45 minutes or whatever it is & I'm gonna work out. :laugh: You go do something else somewhere other than the bedroom. So he plays on the computer or watches TV in another room so I can do my thing. He's very supportive & most guys are, especially if you are doing something for YOU & trying to make yourself healthier & happier. :happy:

Do what you gotta do & he'll respect you for sticking to it! Rock on girl! :drinker:
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise at home because I really don't have a good place, too many distractions, I don't like family asking 100 questions, etc. There are a million reason why I don't like to work out at home.

I was stressed out, out of shape and generally not happy. I knew I needed to work out for stress management, weight loss and better CV health. I looked into gyms in the area but was convinced that I couldn't afford it. My wife convinced me that I couldn't afford not to join since my mental and physical health was at stake.

I bit the bullet and joined a gym. Now I go 3x week before work just to run on the treadmill. I'm very close to my goal for how much and how fast I'm running. My blood pressure is down, my resting heart rate is down and my mental health is much improved. In addition, I've lost 15 lbs.

I know I never would have done this if I was running outdoors or at home. Sometimes you just have to make it happen.
  • Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    My best advise (I have been in your shoes before) is to do floor / ab workouts that don't require a lot of jumping around. I was always woried about too much giggling when he was around.... so i would do my 20 minute abs workout and incorporate another 10 minutes of core conditioning. I also woud sit on a chair and work with hand weights with my arms... slow steady movements that, again, didn't leave my boddy-o-jello wiggling around for all to see ...LOL
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I banish them from the room I am in....I have sent them on errands to the store, chores, etc. Then one day I decided that this is my family and if I can't just do it with them in the house or whatever then I am only cheating myself. Where else can I wear a sports bra with my boobs jiggling and arm fat flying than in my own house, as a matter of fact, it has encouraged my always thin husband to get back into shape too!

It isn't silly, I think everyone feels like that at some point but you have to decide what is going to work for you and that may be getting everyone out of the house for an hour, express this feeling to your boyfriend and tell him how he can help you, you just might be surprised at what he is willing to do.
  • elatoria
    elatoria Posts: 30
    Options
    I feel exactly the same way. That very thing happened today, actually. I had just started this workout video, "The Firm"... and I hear my husband pull up. I RAN to our bedroom to change out of my ridiculous workout clothes. It's embarrassing to show how out of shape I am in front of him. If he is home, on the weekend for example, I load my baby in the stroller and we go for a 30 minute walk. I feel like I have at least done something to burn some extra calories!
  • scostello24
    scostello24 Posts: 126
    Options
    Thats so funny listening to yall b/c I felt the same way too...hehe. But I got to the point where I decided my working out was way more important than my embarrasment. So needless to say I started to bust a move right in fromt of him. Don't get me wrong I could hear him chuckling in the background. But now its okay and he actually supports me and keeps me going longer. Who would of thought!!!!
    Because he is the room I actaully push my self harder so I dont look stupid....which is working out really good for me!!! Because of his pushing I can do twice the amount of sit ups now in less than a week. :drinker: :drinker:
  • jgordon367
    Options
    I found out we have a gym in our office building. I was so tickeld to find its virtually deserted every day. Someone came in today and startled me. I was down to 3 minutes to go on my treadmill so I just left. I know its silly but I especially dont want strangers watching my fat jiggle.
  • charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    What about getting your significant other to work out with you? I've tried it and its a good suggestion, but alas my hubby just sits there asking if I'm almost done yet. :laugh:
  • braydoherty
    Options
    Maybe using those days to take a walk or bike ride instead of doing the tapes. OR you can do the tom saywer thing and con him into doing it with you! Then it's like when I get on the dancefloor; a contest to see who can do the craziest moves.

best of luck to you!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    OK, confession time - it took 5 years before I would let my husband watch me brush my teeth! We've been married almost 14 years and I won't do certain work outs in front of him. It's not that I don't want him to see me, I just can't see his reaction to the silliness on the screen! I'm embarrassed about what I'm watching. :laugh: I did the biggest loser workout recently and I think I could do that one when he is home.