Needing to do 'it' again....

Options
Cranny
Cranny Posts: 27 Member
Hi folks - not really 'new' the MFP, but trying to get re-motivated and started using the site again...

In January 2006, I stepped on a scale and saw the number 265. Stunned (and embarrassed) I started exercising and eating more cautiously.

In August 2006, I stepped on a scale and to my surprise I had lost 65#!!

By April 2007, I was down 100#!! I treated myself to a trip to Disney for my Birthday!

I have managed to keep most of the weight off, but I stepped on a scale last Saturday, only to see the number 232. Ugh. I had promised myself I would NEVER be this heavy again.

What went wrong??
1) Got lazy 2) Life 3) Lazy

I quite working out. Not entirely at first - but when we welcome the new puppies in 2008, it seems that it was impossible to exercise each night with 2 puppies at my heels. (excuse #1).

Slowly but surely, the workouts dwindled down to only a few a week. then a few a month. In August of 2010 I was diagnosed with Uterine Cancer. Within 6 weeks, my life had been flipped around, and since I was in stage 2, they wanted to do a complete hysterectomy. It took 8 weeks to heal to the point where I even want to walk! (Excuse #2). By that time, the workouts had stopped altogether. One of the 'side-effects' of my surgery which included removal of my lymph nodes, was the fact that since I wouldn't produce estrogen any longer, weight gain would be a issue. Didn't realize them meant THIS much weight! ;)

In 2009 I began decorating cakes as a hobby/side business (excuse #3). I SO ENJOY doing it - the creativity of it just blows my mind. But who can have cake in the house and not 'taste' it?!?!? It's a downfall of a enjoyable hobby!

In January 2011, I left a job of 15years to start a new job. (Here comes excuse #4!) The new job sometimes requires me to work extremely late --- 8, 9 sometime 10pm. Shoot - that means I can't work out.... awe, shucks ;) Combine that with the fact that they have a cafe' at work that serves good food - well, 1+1=weight gain.

When I stepped on that scale only to see the number 232 ... it felt very sureal. The realization that I have gain 70#'s of the 100 that I lost was a real punch to the gut - and ego. Why? What the heck am I doing?!?!?!??!?!

I've tried to remember just 'how' I lost the weight the first time: Slim fast and Richard Simmons videos. Honestly. But I wish I would have kept a journal. I wish I would have kept pictures of my progress.

That is want I'm going to do differenly this time. I want to document my experience and my acheivements. Maybe I'll have to look at them again one day? Maybe someone will read them that needs encouragement?? Maybe one day they will make me famous and I'll be worth millions?!?!??!! :D

I don't know, and don't really care what happens, I just know that it is what I need to do. With that, here we go. I'm ready to make the committment and achieve what I know I can achieve. BooooYah!

Replies

• Art63
    Art63 Posts: 87
    Options
    I feel for 'ya. Good for you for getting back into the swing of things. You'll do it. Day by day, right?
  • caqtcolleen
    caqtcolleen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ditto to getting into it again- new here:) Heres hoping to the 230s again, been there once, we can be there again:0
  • slemington
    Options
    Keep strong. I have been keeping my own log of calories for each day, and I try to stay within 800 to 1300, it is hard, but the weight falls off. My problem is when I get back to work, I stop recording and I slowly put the weight on.

Go to the gym, number one is watch what you eat, I found for me calories are key, and I never ever eat bread, however if I do....; Like a hamburger, I only use one bun and I make it the thinest bun. Stay strong and you will reach your goal again. Also, I believe in measuring your body, this is way more efficient and true than a scale will ever be.
  • Cranny
    Cranny Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've been counting the calories again - trying to stay about 1100-1300. I've also taken up walking. Dogs, during lunch, treadmills... I even walked a few times around the Meijer store the other day cause it was raining outside... :)

I haven't measured yet, but the watch that I received for Christmas from hubby that was tight around my wrist is at this time moving more freely.

Good luck to everyone! :)
  • Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I can so relate! I was 20 when I lost 120 lbs the first time. My dad got sick and died in two months time. Having done Slim Fast and not really learning how to manage life, I gained it all back. Every. Single. Stinking. Pound. So, I am back on the horse again. I am really hoping to learn something this time and not only lose weight, but live a healthier lifestyle.