Help on the whole FISH topic

Options
Ok.. so at 36, the only fish I eat is tuna packed in water from a can...

so here I thought that I was going to be a good girl and make fish for myself for dinner ... BUT

I was telling my co-worker who started MFP on Monday like me... and she replied "oh I dont eat fish because there are worms in it!"...

WTF... I googled that and THERE ARE WORMS IN FISH!!! Is this normal.. I am freaking and now have nothing for dinner... :(

Replies

• nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    um, okay. I think you should carry on and eat the fish for dinner.

I eat fish all the time and I have never seen a worm wiggling around. So if there are ever worms in fish I don't think they will kill you. Case in point: I am still alive.

I am sure it also depends on where you buy your fish, I am picky about where I buy all my meats and seafood in general to avoid gross things like this as much as possible.

It seems that this crazy worms in fish phenomenon is actually a natural occurrence and should not be alarming. It is likened to insects found in fruits and veggies. It seems you should be more concerned if you are eating raw fish/sushi. Which makes sense - so just be more picky about where you eat sushi and don't worry about cooked fish.

http://seafood.ucdavis.edu/pubs/parasite.htm

Also, if you are interested in learning more about fish, and which are the best and most sustainable to buy, etc. - this is a great website: http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/seafoodwatch.aspx
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    If you cook the fish there is a very small chance to get anything. It is the same risk for every kind of meat on earth. LOL, you made me laugh.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I have NEVER heard that! I love fish, eat it as often as I can, and try to get different varieties.

What are you planning to have?
  • kkm2605
    kkm2605 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    glad I made you laugh!! :)

I wanted to just try fillet of sole, I have been told that it is not a strong "fishy" tasting fish...

I am sure I sound like a fool - but I am really spooked out.. :)
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Eat the fish. Yummy.

If you are getting used to fish, sole is a good first choice. Tilapia, and haddock are others good choices as well.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Sole - yum! Wrap it in some foil and add a splash of wine, slice of lemon or lime, some black pepper, and bake in the oven for 15-20 mins
  • kkm2605
    kkm2605 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    So ... I ate it... didn't love it.. but ate it.. I did it with a bit of Garlic butter in a pan...

Next time in the oven it's going..
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    There are "worms" everywhere, if you eat outside I guarantee there are fly eggs on your food.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    So funny...I just sat down to eat my fish as I clicked on it. Tonight? Tilapia topped with onion, red and green and yellow peppers with garlic and lemon wrapped in foil and popped in the oven. Easy and delish. As for worms? Cook it good and consider it extra protien...bwahahahaha!
  • Felidae_1981
    Felidae_1981 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    So funny...I just sat down to eat my fish as I clicked on it. Tonight? Tilapia topped with onion, red and green and yellow peppers with garlic and lemon wrapped in foil and popped in the oven. Easy and delish. As for worms? Cook it good and consider it extra protien...bwahahahaha!

Ohh, how long in the oven and at what temp? :) pleeeasseeeee
  • whoaeyekneex3
    Options
    almost every single meat, fish, or produce has some related "risk"...cows who are fed corn have their own crap all over their hide when they're slaughtered so even if you can't see it there's probably crap in your meat..same thing goes with produce if you've ever been to a farm, or see how they handle fruits/vegetables at a supermarket. POINT BEING: everything has "risks" but canned tuna should be the least of your worries..it's canned.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    There's rat poop in your oatmeal.

There's ground up bugs in your bread.

There's dissolved rodents in your Mountain Dew.

Eggs come out of a chicken's vagina.

Milk comes out of a cow's boob - have you ever seen an udder up close?

Your organic apple, although free of pesticides and chemical fertilizers, has probably come into contact with animal feces, been touched by no less than six persons BEFORE it got to the market, probably got dropped and rolled across the floor (the same floor that the person who stepped in the puddle of urine in the restroom just walked across) and most certainly was misted with the sneeze of that sickly looking guy who's now standing in near the potatoes.

The sooner wall all just accept that the world is full of gross things, and that our bodies are designed to defend against them, and in fact that we are healthier over the course of our lives as a result of the exposure, the better off we'll all be.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I would say your fine, just stay away from dirty, dodgy hole-in-the-wall sushi places ;)
  • LibLiu82
    Options
    I think the only cases of getting parasites from eating fish are from people who undercook freshly caught fresh water fish. If you are buying fish and grocery store it's almost always been frozen, which kills the parasites (if there are any) and most store bought varieties are ocean fish anyway which have less parasites. General rule ... eating properly prepared fish bought at the store ... OK. Eating a raw minnow from the bate shop ... NOT OK.
  • almondgirl00
    Options
    I love sashimi so I must be full of worms. My theory is that if it's done Japan a world of good then it's a bandwagon I want to be on. Plus I love the taste, especially the salmon, so smooth and buttery and good.

I'd worry more about parasites in pork. Google trichinosis and you won't sleep for a week. Or you'll just accept that life is not sanitary and cook your pork a little longer.