Doctor Weigh-In - Eek!

Options
I'm going to the doctor for a lady check up, and I'm freaking out slightly about stepping on the scale. At home, I weigh myself without clothes... how much should I subtract for the jeans? At my height, every pound counts, and I don't want to be horrified at the difference.

Thanks, guys!

Replies

• AimeeCarolyn
    AimeeCarolyn Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I totally understand... I hate stepping on the scale at my doc's office! Why not weigh yourself with and without clothes at home before you head to your appointment, then you'll know how much your clothes actually weigh. :)
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Excellent idea, but the reliable scale is at my grandma's! I bought one, but it fluctuates 5-10 pounds (for instance, it read my two 5 pounds weights as 17 pounds!) so I'm terrified to step on it. Haha :)
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Does it really matter what the scale says at the doctor's office? You are tracking your progress with YOUR scale. If you weigh on the doctor's scale and it's 6 pounds heavier than yours, did you magically gain 6 pounds? No. Scales can vary from one to the next. Use yours to track your progress and don't worry about any others.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Are you really that worried about it? You 100% know it will be different than your home scale. Why not be more concerned about the downward progress vs. being slightly off because of an abnormal weigh in? No reason to be that worried about it, honestly.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Last time I was weighed at the doctor I had a pistol on and spare mags. Talk about a shocker when I saw what the scale said
  • kbee784
    kbee784 Posts: 27
    Options
    I haaaaate weighing at a doctors office!! It's always different and I've found that, contrary to what I thought when I was younger, their scales arent necessarily more reliable than any old scale. :/
    But I'm about 8-9 lbs thinner than I was last time I went to see the doc, so I almost wish I had to go! Ha ha

Almost.
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I usually tell them not to tell me my weight.
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Yep, tell them not to tell you your weight (although if you want to know the loss, let them know that, too).

But go by your scale at home.
  • krbn2
    krbn2 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Danger--doctor scales always run high! (Maybe not really, but that's what it seems like.) What everyone else said--focus more on what your home scale says. If you want, you can ask what you were weighed last visit on that scale to compare, but I wouldn't compare doctor-scale to home scale.
  • boodlelibra
    boodlelibra Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The scale at my doctor's office used to run 7 lbs high compared to the Weight Watcher's meeting scale, but when a couple of the nurses joined WW it was suddenly matched the WW scale perfectly!
  • melantie
    Options
    at my doctors i weigh less. Dont know where you are from, but here in New Zealand, the scales are calibrated every year i think to make sure they arent out by heaps. And considering its doctors scales that weigh you for pre-op things i would damn well hope they are correct, as you get anaesthetic and some medicines by weight!
  • livetolove24
    livetolove24 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Try not to worry about it. You are on the right track and losing weight and you know that so ignore the slight difference between scales. Mind over matter here and think about how much better that number will be next time you visit that doctor!