Weight Watchers

Options
I've started Weight Watchers online, and still getting my feet wet, trying to figure out the whole Points Plus system, ok i know each food is rewarded a point value, and i beleave they dont count caleries, still i'm trying to figure it all out, any advise? :happy:

Replies

• ChrisMarie1416452
    Options
    I have been part of weight watchers for a while. I love the support from the meetings, they are a huge help, if you are paying for it why not go, right? I haven't lost a bunch of weight yet, but I'm learning something new everyday. My leader at ww told me either you need the meeting or the meeting needs you. Plus if you have any questions or need any ideas it would be a great idea to find a ww support group in your area and hook up. It is true, there is strength in numbers. Hope this helps, and cheers to a healthier you. :-)
  • carrief_ufl
    Options
    I am using Weight Watchers and so is my husband. I did a lot of reading online and found out as much as I could about the PP version. I have an app on my phone and a digital copy of the list of foods with their point values. Anything that I can't find in the list, or even when I am at the store I punch in the info into my app on my phone (Fat, Carbs, Fiber, and Protein). I use MFP for support rather than the meetings. I really like it and find that the system teaches me the nutritional value of most foods.

The biggest thing is to try to use whole foods (unprocessed) as much as possible. You really can eat everything but the plan teaches to to find healthier versions of the foods you like. Just don't get caught up in finding the lowest PP valued junk foods. You can have those treats in moderation, but the plan does work best eating the healthy foods. If you would like you can add me as a friend and look at my food journals.

Another pointer I have found is to get the WW magazine (for some great recipes), or hit up cookinglight.com and prevention.com for some of their recipes. With the PP calculator or an equivalent app on your phone/ipad you can make some tasty WW PP friendly meals that make this way of eating something that you can stick too. I get tired of the same old boring baked chicken and salads and so does my family. The current WW magazine has a recipe for Pork Medallions in a Bourbon Cream Sauce and Pork Cutlets in a Lemon-Garlic sauce that are sinfully delicious and have great PP values.
  • orting514
    orting514 Posts: 153
    Options
    Were can i find a list of WW foods and their points, i dont have a mobile anything so if i can print out a list and have it with me thats good. I know "Whole foods" are best, i'm making adjustments, but tell me, what do i do when i'm STARVIN and ive eaten all my points?
  • carrief_ufl
    Options
    With weight watchers fruit and veggies are zero points. You can use those as fillers throughout the day. I looked at your food diary and to be able to keep this up you need to find a way to split up your PP over your meals and snacks. I usually try to stay at 5 or less PP for breakfast. I can have 2 slices of Sarah Lee 45 calorie multigrain bread which is 3 points with half a cup of egg beaters cooked with Pam which is 1 PP and a slice of Kraft 2% sharp cheddar cheese which is 1 PP. All of that is a filling 5 point breakfast.

I take carrots, cucumber slices or sliced peppers for a mid morning snack for zero PP. or if I have a lower point total at breakfast I eat a Kashi bar for snack at 5 PP. For lunch I usually have 3-4 ounces of meat that has been baked or roasted with some veggies.

Then I have fruit or veggies for a mid afternoon snack. For dinner I have 3-4 ounces of meat with veggies and whole wheat pasta or brown rice. Many days I have points left for a Skinny Cow dessert.

I will post my email address on your home page. Send me an email and I will send you a PDF that I have with the PP list.

The key is spreading out your food. I am never starving.
  • I love WW and MFP. I have WW online through the monthly plan.WW online is harder for me to use than MFP. So I use both. There is no "list" for WW. They DO have a guideline and suggestions for you to go by that tells how many servings veg. fruit dairy good oils ect. I have been on WW the old system and the new PP system. With the new system all fresh fruits and veggies are 0 points. But you still need to limit the high calorie bananas, grapes ect.
    No WW DOES NOT use the calorie system but I have found an easy way for me to use calories to find my points plus without having to use the PP calc. MOST of the time you can take 40 and divide it into your total calories per serving and it will give you WW PP. Super high fat or carbs in a food will move it up 1 more point. When you divide if you get a .5 then round your points up to the next number. When you are out and have no way of using your computer this will give you a general idea if you can get the calories on what you are eating and keep you super close to your points. Example you eat
    4 oz of fresh fish salmon
    Calories 207 Fat 12 Carbs 0 Protein 23 Fiber
    207calories / 40 = 5.175 this would be 5 points plus (5.4 or less round down above 5.5 round up to 6 PP)
    Now sit down with a PP calc. or online and do the math.
    I have done this with many of the foods I eat and very seldom hit a food that I have to round up on.
    This method means I dont have to carry food list or my PP calc all the time. I just keep on something with pockets on and carry a very small pencil and small stick it note pad in my pockets . That way as I eat I can just write down the points and keep a total.
    Remember not only do you have your daily points but you have 49 points in a weeks time you can use all at once or broken down as you need them.

When you are over you points my suggestion is to eat any green fruit or veggie. They seem to have fewer calories and although they are 0 PP overeating fruits that would be higher PP (if WW still counted them) can still keep you from losing weight. My instructor told of one person that ate 21 bananas in a week because they were 0 PP. She stayed within her PP range for the week and DID NOT lose weight. I use MFP to look at the Calories in the fruits and veggies I keep on hand. I PRETEND WW still use points for them and figure out a point value. I dont count the points on ly daily PP count but it lets me know when I overeat my points which would be the better choice for me to eat without adding alot of extra calories, fat carbs ect. The point of 0PP for fruit and veggies is instead of eating 3 points of chocolate giving you the opportunity to eat fresh fruit for 0. The fruit may calculate to 3 PP but it will aid more in weight loss than 3 PP of chocolate.
    On Biggest Loser one night Bob said he ate Lettuce and meat wraps. I took what he said and converted it to my own taste.
    Example. Use whole leaf lettuce instead of bread pile it with your fav. veggies. Green peppers, onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, celery, cucumbers ect. then I put at times banana peppers for flavoring. eat all you want. If you have very lean meat slices sometimes you can just use enough so one slice calculates no point. I love these. You can also use Zesty Free Italian Dressing. 0PP per 2 tbls.
    Drink lots of water as a filler. I hate water but I force myself to drink it. I try to stay away from diet pop so I use the store brand sugar free drinks like the Kool Aid or Crystal Light. And although I'm not advising you to do as I do I drink close to a pot of coffee a day. Not good I know but I cant drink just water and sweet tasting things all the time.
    I am still figuring the PP system out myself but these are a few things that helped me. Hope it helps someway.
  • AngelicaSilva
    Options
    Just started WW too! I've been in 1 week and working on my 2nd.... How is it going? Are your group meetings fun?
  • laren1266
    Options
    There is a weight watchers group on here you could join.
  • libgrl
    libgrl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have been using this off and on for at least a year and had a lot of luck with it until I fell off the wagon in the fall. I am actually in a healthy weight range, but would like to lose about 10 pounds that linger on certain areas. I decided to sign up with weight watchers online and instead of losing weight, I gained three pounds in about a week and a half! I am very upset with that as that is a LOT of weight for me and I am paying for it. I always had success with My Fitness Pal, so I think I will cancel WW and just continue to use this. I found the tools, exercise database, and food database is much better with MFP anyway. Has anyone used Weight Watchers online and had success with it?
  • coquette87
    Options
    Hi! I'm going into my third week, so far lost 2.5lbs in total. I actually track both on the WW site and MFP, and amazingly, it usually works out to just about the 1200 calorie mark as well as more or less my carb/fat/protein targets that MFP has set up. I like the 0 points fruits and veggies part. That's what keeps me full. For me personally, I found MFP didn't work. I'd get too hung up on calories and not worry about choosing filling whole foods.