fiber

Options
I need to eat lots of fiber due to some medications I'm on messing with my bowels, but I'm having trouble incorporating lots of fiber into my diet. Anyone have any tips? I know I should be eating lots of fruit and veg but which are the best and most fibrous? And other foods too? What about supplements, anyone have any recommendations or thoughts on those?

Replies

• virpags
    virpags Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The best thing that worked for me is Fiber One original cereal... I mix 1/2 cup into my yogurt. Drink pleny of water, exercise, and you should not have a problem. Good luck!
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-fiber-foods/NU00582

Check out the above website from mayclinic. It has a list of high fiber foods, and the serving size. :)
  • jennywren1971
    jennywren1971 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I use benefibre to supplement my diet. It is clear and tasteless so you can add it to water or other foods. Works for me.
  • penk65
    penk65 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    An excellent source of fiber apart from fruits and vegetables is ground flax seed ...adding a tablespoon to smoothies, in oatmeal or any hot breakfast cereal or mixing it into meals.
  • chloizzle
    Options
    The best thing that worked for me is Fiber One original cereal... I mix 1/2 cup into my yogurt. Drink pleny of water, exercise, and you should not have a problem. Good luck!

You can't get that cereal where I live unfortunately :( I do eat Sultana Bran though and I like it. I hadn't thought about mixing it into yoghurt, I'll try that, it sounds nice. I drink over 8 glasses of water a day every day so I don't think that's an issue. I still get lots of problems though! Thanks for the tips anyhow. :)

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-fiber-foods/NU00582

Check out the above website from mayclinic. It has a list of high fiber foods, and the serving size. :)

Thanks! I'll take a look.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I just found a cure lol. I am doing Jamie Eason's 12 week program and she said buy flax seeds in a bag. I grind a tablespoon in a blender a day and eat it with oatmeal. I went from "going" every three days to going twice a day after a little under a week lol. You have to crush or grind them though to get maximum benefits.
  • penk65
    penk65 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can also add it to greek yogurt with some fruit and or nuts. Nuts are also a good source of fiber.....on palmful of almonds can provide you with a day's worth. Just be careful with the calories if you are also eating wheat or other grains...the combination can be fattening. I am on a wheat elimination diet, so I can have limitless amounts of nuts. I am still careful....no more than one palmful a day.
  • chloizzle
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I'll definitely look for some flaxseed next time I'm out shopping. :)