Am I REALLY supposed to eat my workout calories?

Options

Replies

• elle77
    elle77 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I don't get too slide-rulish about it. "Oooh, I have 12 calories left - get me a Grape!" :laugh:

I eat most of mine, sometimes a little over, most days somewhat under. I'm trending for 2lbs a week and doing fine.

HAHA that made me laugh :laugh:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    OK so I know I came late to this, but 18 lbs in 6 weeks? Sorry sweetie, but probably ain't gonna happen, that's a 3 lb a week deficit, and even for someone who is obese, that's a tough row. Now I don't know where you are in your weight loss, but I would probably shoot for a more reachable goal then that. Like maybe 9 lbs or so, which would be a pound and a half a week. Just my HO! Good luck.
  • Delaina1
    Delaina1 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Well I am watching Oprah and on "The biggest Loser" show they say that the women limit themselves to 1200 cals per day and burn 4,000 cals per day! The men only eat 1800 cals a day and burn 6,000 cals! How come they are not in starvation mode???

I alternate whether or not I eat any, some, or all of my exercise cals. It depends on how much I work out, if I'm hungry, and what I did the day before. I go with the "switch it up" theory! I try not to let my body get used to anything.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Well I am watching Oprah and on "The biggest Loser" show they say that the women limit themselves to 1200 cals per day and burn 4,000 cals per day! The men only eat 1800 cals a day and burn 6,000 cals! How come they are not in starvation mode???

I alternate whether or not I eat any, some, or all of my exercise cals. It depends on how much I work out, if I'm hungry, and what I did the day before. I go with the "switch it up" theory! I try not to let my body get used to anything.

because they are super-morbidly obese, their body has so much fat in reserves that it can draw on those reserves to supplement their extremely drastic diet. I say DIET because the things they are doing are unsustainable. The results often do not last because they are so unsustainable.

We are here to enact a lifestyle change that is sustainable. you could lose a bunch of weight if you got addicted to crack, too, but that is not really gonna be the healthy way to do it, huh?
  • renee22
    renee22 Posts: 33
    Options
    I eat some of my workout calories....but always leave a deficit of ~500-700 cal - just because its hard to get exact portions (unless you weigh/measure everything - which i don't have the time for) & also difficult to measure exact calorie burn unless you wear a monitor...

so the way i figure it...i'm pretty close to breaking even if not slightly below most days - it allows me a little splurge here & there! :love:
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I always struggle with this but I must say last month I tried hard to fight the mental hurdle and eat most of my exercise calories then this month I only reached my net calories of 1200 8 days out of the 30 and guess what! I gained two pounds back! :noway:

I made the commitment today to eat my exercise calories and keep my net as close to 1200 per day. I also like the idea of having a 1500 calorie day tossed in there a few times per month.:love:

I will let you know what happens this next month.

BTW search "Banks" and you will find some great entries. There is one called "Expectations" that is so awesome. I think I am in phase 4.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    i had no idea it was recommended to eat your calories that you lose from working out...silly question, can you drink them...from say...beer?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    i had no idea it was recommended to eat your calories that you lose from working out...silly question, can you drink them...from say...beer?

:laugh: :laugh: :angry: no:laugh: :laugh:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options

dang.
    :grumble:
    How about chocolate?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options

why not?
  • arewethereyet
    Options

dang.
    :grumble:
    How about chocolate?

if you are allergic, like I am, it will help you lose quicker:wink:

:laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    Options

why not?

because that was a joke. :angry: in between :laugh: is a joke.

Have some beer, pass some to me.:glasses:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    mmmmmmmmm how bout a Guinness? MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    mmmmmmmmm how bout a Guinness? MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

OMG I love stout. Or Bass Ale..........mmmmmmmmmmm with a torn soleus I am not up for any extra calories I cant work off. :frown:
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options

why not?

for real...why not? i was being serious! i have 400 calories left today, a bud light is under 150 calories approximately...why is this bad??!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    It isn't bad. Have it!:drinker:
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    for real...why not? i was being serious! i have 400 calories left today, a bud light is under 150 calories approximately...why is this bad??!

1 beer, 150 cals on a day you have extra cals? Sure. I think maybe the "drinking your calories" instead of eating them is what came to people's minds...

There is no nutritional value in beer, and a lot of junk, but that being said, you can have it sometimes.
  • amysol
    amysol Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It's all about moderation. Dont limit yourself! This isn't a diet! Its a way of life. If you can't see living forever without drinking beer, don't do it now....work it in!
  • amysol
    amysol Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    OK so I know I came late to this, but 18 lbs in 6 weeks? Sorry sweetie, but probably ain't gonna happen, that's a 3 lb a week deficit, and even for someone who is obese, that's a tough row. Now I don't know where you are in your weight loss, but I would probably shoot for a more reachable goal then that. Like maybe 9 lbs or so, which would be a pound and a half a week. Just my HO! Good luck.

Well, I appreciate your attempt to have a realistic attitude which is always important however I now need to lose 16 lbs in 5 weeks and 6 days. I am working hard, staying positive and working out so if you don't mine, I will continue to stay positive, push myself and work towards that goal!

16 lbs in less than 6 weeks! I can do it!!!!!!!!!! Don't you guys out there think I can??????????
  • flairbear
    flairbear Posts: 38
    Options
    i always wonder that too!!!!!!!!!!
    it feels like i shouldn't, but i read that post about "starvation mode" and now i have been eating all the calories i burn. It makes it worth excersising!